Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

80% of MPs should be required to attend debates held as the result of petition Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The government promises to debate every petition that receives 100,000 signatures, but more often than not, a very, very small amount of MPs bother to turn up for the resulting debate. These petitions are utterly useless if politicians can just completely ignore them.

I've started a petition myself titled "Require at least 80% of MPs to attend debates held as a result of a petition", and it requires five initial signatures to start:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petit...1eMg5WMeh8WCg9

I'm also interested to hear other peoples thoughts on this. Regardless of your thoughts on the issues being debated, I think we can all agree that attendance to these debates is essential.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    The government promises to debate every petition that receives 100,000 signatures, but more often than not, a very, very small amount of MPs bother to turn up for the resulting debate. These petitions are utterly useless if politicians can just completely ignore them.

I've started a petition myself titled "Require at least 80% of MPs to attend debates held as a result of a petition", and it requires five initial signatures to start:

I'm also interested to hear other peoples thoughts on this. Regardless of your thoughts on the issues being debated, I think we can all agree that attendance to these debates is essential.
    The problem with this petition is that most petition debates are held as part of a committee, very few are actually held in the chamber, that aside, it isn't really enforceable: if 80% are not present who is liable? How is 80% measured, the peak attendance or the total number? If the latter how long do they have to be in the chamber for it to count?

Like most petitions, they are foolish and idealistic.

As for the last point, I disagree, many petitions are so stupid they actually are a hindrance to democracy rather than a benefit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So are you going to cut the time MPs spend helping their constituents (which is their proper job) to do this?

ReputationRep:

Reasons why direct democracy sucks - you get clueless people involved in politics

Turning up to debates is just one of the many jobs they have as an MP. They have to attend meetings with ministers, local people and businesses, constituency surgery, committee posts, committee invitations, and if they have a ministerial job they have even more on their plate. This is just an oversimplified list of stuff they have to do.

It's an awful petition
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:

Unfortunately (although not entirely without reason), Parliament treats these petitions as a joke anyway. So I don't think forcing MPs to attend those debates would change a lot.

ReputationRep:
    So 80% of MPs would have to waste their time voting for stupid things such as banning Donald Trump from the country instead of dealing with constituents or something else useful?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    So 80% of MPs would have to waste their time voting for stupid things such as banning Donald Trump from the country instead of dealing with constituents or something else useful?
    Not even necessarily vote, not all are voted on, Trump being an example of one where it was merely debate.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.