Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have you ever researched your family history? Watch

ReputationRep:
    if so what is the most interesting thing you found out?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by CasperlEE)
    if so what is the most interesting thing you found out?
    Yes, I have.

My great-grandfather survived the Holocaust by faking his death in a concentration camp.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

I'm a blood relative of John F. Kennedy - I suppose that's pretty exciting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SecretDuck)
    Yes, I have.

My great-grandfather survived the Holocaust by faking his death in a concentration camp.
    That's so cool :woo:

ReputationRep:
    No I haven't unfortunately :/

How do you guys research it, do you go on ancestry.com or something
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Based on my second name, i belonged to the Ho clan which reigned over Vietnam during the ho dynasty for 6 years.

ReputationRep:
    I once tried to 'research' my Indian/Pak family's history - they asked me why I'm trying to be "goraa" :rofl:

(Original post by ivybridge)
    Yes.

I'm a blood relative of John F. Kennedy - I suppose that's pretty exciting.
    OMG that is so cool!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    I once tried to 'research' my Indian/Pak family's history - they asked me why I'm trying to be "goraa" :rofl:

OMG that is so cool!!!!
    Hello Harvard :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    Hello Harvard :lol:
    Imagine a rec letter from JFK or a known relative O.O That would be insane

ReputationRep:
    Dad's side- Military commanders,soldiers and one random royal poet (nice to know I'm not the only one in the family who likes Literature)

Mum's side- Lacemakers,Cheese farmers,Jewellers,exotic dancers and a few doctors.

ReputationRep:
    I'm the only one in my family with brown eyes. Everybody else including my mother had blue or green or greyish eyes!

Found out stuff relating to my father's side of the family and their Danish roots and also my mother's Levantine heritage,exotic mama!

ReputationRep:
    My Grandfather was king of Tanganyika

ReputationRep:
    us asians cant go on ancestory websites, nothing comes up. One of me relatives made one though manually and its pretty cool

here it is https://www.myheritage.com/site-3147...amily-tree-web

ReputationRep:
    I've not done any as with my ancestry I feel it'd be impossible to find out, but for more recent generations I have
    Grandfather on Mum's Side - Slaves
    Grandmother on Mum's Side - ???
    Grandmother on Dad's Side - Not fully explained but my grandmother says my Great-Grandfather owned a rather large part of land in Tanzania, and many of the locals did like labour work for my family and they had many locals like looking after my grandma when she was growing up. Apparently a lot of their family are in Scotland. One of them was like the first visiting nurse in my country or something like that.
    Grandfather on Dad's Side - ??? Extra confusion because at some point down the line, the family name was changed so it's hard to tell if I am actually related to those with the original family name.

I come from a small country though, so I have relatives who are like 'famous' in my country for music, one who was an MP for the opposition party and one who is a Member of the National Assembly right now (equivalent to a cabinet minister).

(Original post by TheYearNiner)
    My Grandfather was king of Tanganyika
    Might've known my great-grandfather then, not sure if they'd be friends though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    I've not done any as with my ancestry I feel it'd be impossible to find out, but for more recent generations I have
    Grandfather on Mum's Side - Slaves
    Grandmother on Mum's Side - ???
    Grandmother on Dad's Side - Not fully explained but my grandmother says my Great-Grandfather owned a rather large part of land in Tanzania, and many of the locals did like labour work for my family and they had many locals like looking after my grandma when she was growing up. Apparently a lot of their family are in Scotland. One of them was like the first visiting nurse in my country or something like that.
    Grandfather on Dad's Side - ??? Extra confusion because at some point down the line, the family name was changed so it's hard to tell if I am actually related to those with the original family name.

I come from a small country though, so I have relatives who are like 'famous' in my country for music, one who was an MP for the opposition party and one who is a Member of the National Assembly right now (equivalent to a cabinet minister).

Might've known my great-grandfather then, not sure if they'd be friends though.
    haha btw I was joking but its all cool

ReputationRep:
    On one side is Irish peasants since history began and the other have never left England since history began.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My family has no history - we browse incognito

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.