The Student Room Group

help

Was just wondering if someone can give me some advice. I know is supposed to be a student forum but I was looking through some other threads and you guys seem to talk about different things too.

I am 23 years old and on the outside it seems like I have a good life. I have a lovely boyfriend, I get on well with my family, and I have a good secure job. But its all on the outside. Inside I am trying to cope with crippling debt. It keeps me awake at night and sometimes I just cant stop crying. I am working 2 full time jobs and I just dont have enough money to go around. Debtors keep calling me and running up bills for things I haven't even done but they wont listen. I am getting bills for 2 different properties but I only live at one. But no one will listen. It has gotten to the point that I can't even afford to feed myself. I owe my landlord a months rent and he is threatening to kick me out. I dont want to be homeless. I am 7,000 in debt and evryone wants there money now. I didnt even blow the money, I spent it on my education. I feel ashamed to admit this but I feel like killing myself. I have no other way out. They aren't even satisfied with me paying them off weekly.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
maybe you can loan from parents, friends?
Reply 2
dont over worry about it, it wont help. i'm sure someone can help.
how old are you?
why have you got two properties, cant you sell one?
Reply 3
They are not allowed to come after you, you don't have to let anybody in or do anything unless they have a court under. My parents are in debt in two figures and if you know the law they can't really do anything at all. They can't get money of you haven't got. The main worry is if its loan sharks or a mortage company you owe money to.
Reply 4
_EMMA_
maybe you can loan from parents, friends?

£7,000? who has that kind of money to throw around? No one I know that is for sure but thanks for the suggestion.
Reply 5
aww don't worry... theres always a solution to everything! As for having to pay for properties you're not living in maybe you should seek legal advice! Could u move in temporarily wiv your family just till you get yourself sorted?
can't you sort out the being billed for two different properties...?? If you're only living at one, why are you being billed for two?
Reply 7
amazingtrade
They are not allowed to come after you, you don't have to let anybody in or do anything unless they have a court under. My parents are in debt in two figures and if you know the law they can't really do anything at all. They can't get money of you haven't got. The main worry is if its loan sharks or a mortage company you owe money to.

even though I have told them that I will pay them back weekly (and I have done) they have got court orders against me and are threatening legal action any day now. I have 4 court summons for different things. Gas, electric, phone, overdraft
Reply 8
[QUOTE='[Alias]']£7,000? who has that kind of money to throw around? No one I know that is for sure but thanks for the suggestion.
Thats nothing compared to what my parents owe, just pay them back £1 a month and say its all you can afford, show them your earnings and out goings and proove you're not spending money on luxeries you don't need.
Reply 9
[QUOTE='[Alias]']even though I have told them that I will pay them back weekly (and I have done) they have got court orders against me and are threatening legal action any day now. I have 4 court summons for different things. Gas, electric, phone, overdraft
Oh dear so its not just bank loans then, have you thought about declaring yourself bandkrupt? What ever you don't take out any loans to pay it off it will make it worse.
Reply 10
ainat87
can't you sort out the being billed for two different properties...?? If you're only living at one, why are you being billed for two?

I have phoned them 5 times and they refuse to acknowledge me saying I didnt give them final meter readings which I did. So the gas bill is £400 and the electric is £250 on top of my new house
Reply 11
i advice you to go to the hosptial for stress and then sue the poeple who are wrongly trying to get money from u due to the psychiatric (sp) harm it has imposed on you!
Reply 12
amazingtrade
Oh dear so its not just bank loans then, have you thought about declaring yourself bandkrupt? What ever you don't take out any loans to pay it off it will make it worse.

The bank wont let me have any loans/cards/overdrafts b/c of my debt. I'm crying so much because I dont know what to do anymore. I didnt spend this money! I didnt buy clothes and fancy things for myself. I can't afford food, I cant afford clothes. I cant even afford to buy my little sister a birthday present. People are so stupid they would drive someone to want to kill themselves over lack of money.
do you smoke or anything? cutting smoking out saves an awful lot of money. We got a holiday out of it a few months after my dad quit a couple of years ago.
If you dont smoke then is there anything else, any "luxouries" that you can stop spending out on for a while?
Reply 14
ainat87
do you smoke or anything? cutting smoking out saves an awful lot of money. We got a holiday out of it a few months after my dad quit a couple of years ago.
If you dont smoke then is there anything else, any "luxouries" that you can stop spending out on for a while?

I have never smoked. I haven't been out with friends for over a year unless they treat me. My mum sometimes will buy me clothes if she can. I have a total of 2 pairs of shoes. Work shoes and trainers. I have nothing. I have no luxery. I consider it good if I can afford colgate toothpaste.
Reply 15
How can people bill you for 2 houses when you have one? Can you not ask relatives for money to borrow and pay them back?
Reply 16
[QUOTE='[Alias]']The bank wont let me have any loans/cards/overdrafts b/c of my debt. I'm crying so much because I dont know what to do anymore. I didnt spend this money! I didnt buy clothes and fancy things for myself. I can't afford food, I cant afford clothes. I cant even afford to buy my little sister a birthday present. People are so stupid they would drive someone to want to kill themselves over lack of money.
How much equality you do have in your house?
Reply 17
amazingtrade
How much equality you do have in your house?

it is rented
Reply 18
imasillynarb
How can people bill you for 2 houses when you have one? Can you not ask relatives for money to borrow and pay them back?

no my mum & dad and surprisingly my aunt & uncle are going through costly divorces at the minute.
[QUOTE='[Alias]']it is rented

can't you move somewhere with cheaper rent? or get some kind of housing benefit? go into a house share?

Latest

Trending

Trending