Turn on thread page Beta

Applying for MSc Biomedical Engineering from BSc Biomedical Science watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

So atm I'm studying Biomedical Science at King's College and am predicted 2.i. I've been looking at Masters and really like the look of the Biomedical Engineering one at Imperial, however I am not from an engineering background. It states on the website under entry requirements:
    'The minimum requirement is a degree equivalent to a Upper Second Class Honours in engineering, physical science or mathematics.Although applicants will typically have a background in engineering or physical science, the programme is potentially open to those from life sciences or medicine, provided they also have proven mathematics ability. This means that applicants should have achieved at least a grade A in A level Mathematics (or equivalent) and the degree programme included some mathematics. If your first degree is not in an engineering subject, we require that you give details of any mathematical component of your degree study and/or project work in your application form.

Applicants for the Neurotechnology stream:
    Should have previous experience of programming in MatLab or an equivalent mathematical package, or have the ability to quickly become proficient in a new programming language.
    Should have knowledge and understanding of the following mathematical concepts at a level higher than a pre-university Mathematics qualification e.g. higher than A-level:Linear Algebra in 2+ dimensions (including eigenvalues, eigenvectors, normal vector to a plane, etc…)Function differentiation and the concept of a gradient (including polynomials, exponentials, the chain and product rules, gradients etc…)Basic probability theory (including mean, variance, correlation, Gaussian distribution, binomial distribution, Bayes theorem, etc…)'

I have an A in A level Maths, and I haven't really encountered much maths during my current degree, apart from statistics and using SPSS, so I'm unsure if I really qualify. I do think however, I'm very capable of teaching myself those things, and I believe I've encounter a lot of the things they specify under the neurotechnology stream in my A level maths. Btw I didn't do Physics at A level, which is something that is required if applying for the undergrad boomed engineering, but not for postgrad, which puzzled me. The thing which attracts me to this masters is the neurotechnology stream modules, as neuroscience is something which I've been drawn to during my degree and I'd like to study this further but from a different standpoint.

So, basically, I am unsure whether or not I actually stand a chance. Does anyone have any advice or guidance? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    bump
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Your best bet is to contact the uni and ask. No one on here can tell you how admissions tutors will view your application.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like you'll be ok to get on the course, but may struggle to get on the neurotechnology stream unless you can demonstrate you understand the concepts you list in your second paragraph at degree level. As Alleycat393 says you should contact the uni and ask. Good luck!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Well your university or a nearby one might offer an extracurricular course in MATLAB so that'll prove some experience in that. I'm not sure how you'd prove the mathematical knowledge though unless they've got an admissions test, maybe if your university has a module covering those topics but I think they'd end up being spread out over a couple of modules. Maybe there's a MOOC or two which would fulfil the requirements?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.