Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I need to go over chem4 somehow, not sure what to do someone help

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Okay well it's perfectly do-able so try not to worry. I'd recommend that you revise Unit 4 everyday/every other day after school for a couple hours until you have covered all the content! Then after that you should do practice questions to test your knowledge. There are a lot of online resources such as 'chemrevise.org' which may help with this. Afterwards, one past paper a week until it gets close to the exams so you don't forget/still have it fresh in your mind would be good. At least, that's what I'm going to try and do as of tomorrow anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Presuming your syllabus is like mine (so Chem4 was all the organic shizz) then I found the absolute most useful thing to do was create reaction maps. Get two big A3 pieces of paper, and put benzene at the centre of one of them, and alkanes at the centre of the other. Then draw arrows from them to every product you can create from an alkane/benzene, and put the reaction conditions on the arrows. Keep repeating this until you've got a massive map that shows how each organic compound is made from some other organic compound; I found these amazing for learning my reaction conditions and for answering questions that say 'How do you get to compoud a from compound b in x reactions?'. Also make sure to include any relevant mechanisms, any relevant colour changes or other observations that you get from the reaction. Further, I found it helpful to include my organic tests on here, so for instance I'd include that reacting phenol with iron (iii) chloride gives a violet solution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke Kostanjsek)
    Presuming your syllabus is like mine (so Chem4 was all the organic shizz) then I found the absolute most useful thing to do was create reaction maps. Get two big A3 pieces of paper, and put benzene at the centre of one of them, and alkanes at the centre of the other. Then draw arrows from them to every product you can create from an alkane/benzene, and put the reaction conditions on the arrows. Keep repeating this until you've got a massive map that shows how each organic compound is made from some other organic compound; I found these amazing for learning my reaction conditions and for answering questions that say 'How do you get to compoud a from compound b in x reactions?'. Also make sure to include any relevant mechanisms, any relevant colour changes or other observations that you get from the reaction. Further, I found it helpful to include my organic tests on here, so for instance I'd include that reacting phenol with iron (iii) chloride gives a violet solution.

Could you send me a picture so i get the idea of it?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mvpmb)

thanks
    These aren't mine cause I've given my notes to a girl I'm tutoring; I just found these online. I'd definitely say to make your own rather than use ones you find online cause the actual process of writing it all out will help you to learn it. But here's an example of an aromatic and aliphatic reaction map:

Aromatic: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...6ef31af42e.jpg

Aliphatic: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...4b26de652f.jpg

These are decent examples, but I put a bit more detail on mine. I found it helpful to include observations from the reactions and mechanisms for instance, just tailor it to whatever will work for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mvpmb)

thanks
    Oh yeah, and one other tip. http://www.chemguide.co.uk/ . Literally the best website imaginable for A level chemistry, it's incredible. You could teach it to yourself just using that website, it's got everything you'll ever need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon_98)
    Hello,

Okay well it's perfectly do-able so try not to worry. I'd recommend that you revise Unit 4 everyday/every other day after school for a couple hours until you have covered all the content! Then after that you should do practice questions to test your knowledge. There are a lot of online resources such as 'chemrevise.org' which may help with this. Afterwards, one past paper a week until it gets close to the exams so you don't forget/still have it fresh in your mind would be good. At least, that's what I'm going to try and do as of tomorrow anyway.
    Good idea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mvpmb)
    Good idea
    :borat:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.