Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Moving to an all electric flat Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    No economy7. Its probably my PC, which is on all the time. I probably need to move to a better tariff. Although the flat is new the insulation is poor imo with a lot of glass. I am not excessive.
    Your PC uses about 10p an hour (mines fully specked and i use it from dawn until dusk). Probably the heating then i assume since you've not mentioned an immersion boiler.

Perhaps consider an apartment with cheaper electricity in the future.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Rakas21)
    Your PC uses about 10p an hour (mines fully specked and i use it from dawn until dusk). Probably the heating then i assume since you've not mentioned an immersion boiler.

Perhaps consider an apartment with cheaper electricity in the future.
    nah its more likely the cooker. Hotplates are inneficient and the tariff. I do have a boiler but i dont overuse it. these were new appartments when I moved in. Tbh theres very few who could tell you the cost.

A PC @ 10p an hour on for most of the day = £2 a day, but even if its £1 a day, then that gets you half way.

ReputationRep:
    nah its more likely the cooker. Hotplates are inneficient and the tariff. I do have a boiler but i dont overuse it. these were new appartments when I moved in. Tbh theres very few who could tell you the cost.

A PC @ 10p an hour on for most of the day = £2 a day, but even if its £1 a day, then that gets you half way.
    When I went to view my new flat it was quite warm and tenant wasn't in so I'm hoping it has good insulation. The epc report suggests the thermal conductivity of the walls is 0.25 W/m2 K. Don't know what normally walls are like but it got a 5-star rating on that value. Same for the floor.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by mynameisblu)
    When I went to view my new flat it was quite warm and tenant wasn't in so I'm hoping it has good insulation. The epc report suggests the thermal conductivity of the walls is 0.25 W/m2 K. Don't know what normally walls are like but it got a 5-star rating on that value. Same for the floor.
    If it seemed wamr, then I wouldnt let it bother you, especually if you are renting for a short time. We are heaing out of the cold weather now. If you wnat an estimate just drop the tenant a note an ask him to email you. he would have no reason to lie.

ReputationRep:
    If it seemed wamr, then I wouldnt let it bother you, especually if you are renting for a short time. We are heaing out of the cold weather now. If you wnat an estimate just drop the tenant a note an ask him to email you. he would have no reason to lie.
    Yes but the estate agent might since I can't get in contact with the tenant directly it has to be through the EA but will see what they say.
    • Very Important Poster

I meant through dropping a note. I wouldnt worry as long as it wasnt obviously poorly insulated you should be fine. Agree dont trust agents and be wary of LLs as well.

ReputationRep:
    I meant through dropping a note. I wouldnt worry as long as it wasnt obviously poorly insulated you should be fine. Agree dont trust agents and be wary of LLs as well.
    Yh I will try that

ReputationRep:
    Just curious, how long do you leave your heating on for during a typical weekday and typical weekend? Have you got convection or storage heaters?
    • Very Important Poster

Honestly you are putting too much thought into it. I hardly ever use the heating. If its 10p an hour to run the pc then thats on most of the day. If thats £1-2£ a day inclyung all the other electrinucs I have thats £30-60 a month just there.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly you are putting too much thought into it. I hardly ever use the heating. If its 10p an hour to run the pc then thats on most of the day. If thats £1-2£ a day inclyung all the other electrinucs I have thats £30-60 a month just there.
    Yeah I am getting too worried about this. Just worried about ending up in £XXX debt with energy company so need to be careful how much and what I use.
    • Very Important Poster

Just monitor it. If you have economy 7 use it. spend more time in uni. Loys of things you cna do to stay warm and save energy.
    microwave is efficcient,

ReputationRep:
    Just monitor it. If you have economy 7 use it. spend more time in uni. Loys of things you cna do to stay warm and save energy.
    microwave is efficcient,
    Sound. Thanks for your help.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.