Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

helpppp:( Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Two identical solid spheres fit exactly inside a cuboid box. Find the percentage of the volume of the box which is occupied by the spheres. Give your answer to 1dp.
    I've already figured out the formula for surface area of a sphere (4/3pie r^2) and I know the height would be 4r and the base 2r (diameter), although I'm unsure of what to do from here.
    ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neharajput)
    Two identical solid spheres fit exactly inside a cuboid box. Find the percentage of the volume of the box which is occupied by the spheres. Give your answer to 1dp.
    I've already figured out the formula for surface area of a sphere (4/3pie r^2) and I know the height would be 4r and the base 2r (diameter), although I'm unsure of what to do from here.
    ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED
    Aren't you supposed to work out the volume of each sphere rather than the surface area?
    (And another thing I'd do would be to somehow relate measurements on the spheres to the width, length and height of the cuboid.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheOtherSide.)
    Aren't you supposed to work out the volume of each sphere rather than the surface area?
    (And another thing I'd do would be to somehow relate measurements on the spheres to the width, length and height of the cuboid.)
    I meant volume rather than surface area, sorry but from there I'm not sure what to do, as I have related the lengths of the cuboid in terms of the radius of the sphere. Could you guide me as to what to do after this?
    The height would be 4 x radius (4r) and the base 2r (2 x radius)

ReputationRep:
    I meant volume rather than surface area, sorry but from there I'm not sure what to do, as I have related the lengths of the cuboid in terms of the radius of the sphere. Could you guide me as to what to do after this?
    The height would be 4 x radius (4r) and the base 2r (2 x radius)
    Don't forget that since the sphere is a 3D shape, the width would also be 2r. Using these measurements you have for the cuboid, you should then have a value for the volume in terms of r.

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget that since the sphere is a 3D shape, the width would also be 2r. Using these measurements you have for the cuboid, you should then have a value for the volume in terms of r.
    So the volume of the cuboid would be 16r^3 because 2r x 4r x 2r
    Then the volume of the two spheres would be 8/3 x pie^2 x r^4
    I don't understand what's next, as r is an unknown value...

ReputationRep:
    So the volume of the cuboid would be 16r^3 because 2r x 4r x 2r
    Then the volume of the two spheres would be 8/3 x pie^2 x r^4
    I don't understand what's next, as r is an unknown value...
    Well, since finding the percentage is the same as dividing one value by another and then multiplying by 100, you could make a fraction from the volume for the two spheres and the volume of the cuboid.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    By the way, after reading the question again, I was wondering if you were sure that there weren't any other values stated about either the radius of the sphere or something similar?

ReputationRep:
    Well, since finding the percentage is the same as dividing one value by another and then multiplying by 100, you could make a fraction from the volume for the two spheres and the volume of the cuboid.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    By the way, after reading the question again, I was wondering if you were sure that there weren't any other values stated about either the radius of the sphere or something similar?
    No there wasn't any values stated, just that the radius is r...

ReputationRep:
    If you think about it, however much you scale the box & spheres, the ratio of sphere volume to box volume is never going to change. Double it, you double both volumes, so the percentage is the same.

This means it's going to cancel out. The volume of the spheres will be some multiple of r cubed, and the volume of the spheres should be some multiple of r cubed. r cubed/r cubed = 1, so it's just the ratio of the multiples.

It's also exactly the same as one sphere in a box, as the two "sides" of the box are identical, so have the same ratio.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanvyj)
    If you think about it, however much you scale the box & spheres, the ratio of sphere volume to box volume is never going to change. Double it, you double both volumes, so the percentage is the same.

This means it's going to cancel out. The volume of the spheres will be some multiple of r cubed, and the volume of the spheres should be some multiple of r cubed. r cubed/r cubed = 1, so it's just the ratio of the multiples.

It's also exactly the same as one sphere in a box, as the two "sides" of the box are identical, so have the same ratio.
    But wouldn't the volume of the spheres together be r^4 because r^2 x r^2

ReputationRep:
    But wouldn't the volume of the spheres together be r^4 because r^2 x r^2
    Actually, it wouldn't be - you're adding the two volumes together to get the total volume of the spheres.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, it wouldn't be - you're adding the two volumes together to get the total volume of the spheres.
    Ohh, I just realised I have been writing the formula wrong the whole time:')
    So would the equation be...
    16r^3/ (8/3 x 2pie x 2r^2)?

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    it would be (8/3)(pi)(r^3) as you are multiplying (4/3)(pi)(r^3) by 2. therefore, to find the percentage of the volume of the cuboid that the spheres occupy you take the volume of the spheres, (8/3)(pi)(r^3), divide by the volume of the cuboid, 16r^3, then multiply by 100. the r^3 should cancel out leaving you with a number that should be something long the lines of 12800pi/3 <-- my mental arithmetic may be wrong with that last bit though as I don't have a calculator to hand EDIT:my mental arithmetic was definitely wrong, i meant 800pi/48

ReputationRep:
    1)volume of a sphere is 4/3 pi r^3, not r^2
    2)you want the volume of the spheres as a percentage of the volume of the cuboid so you should be using the reciprocal of what you just wrote once you have corrected the sphere volume part of the formula.

ReputationRep:
    Ohh, I just realised I have been writing the formula wrong the whole time:' )
    So would the equation be...
    16r^3/ (8/3 x 2pie x 2r^2)?
    Here, I think you've multiplied the whole formula by 2 too many times - it should just be 8/3 pi r^3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spico)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    it would be (8/3)(pi)(r^3) as you are multiplying (4/3)(pi)(r^3) by 2. therefore, to find the percentage of the volume of the cuboid that the spheres occupy you take the volume of the spheres, (8/3)(pi)(r^3), divide by the volume of the cuboid, 16r^3, then multiply by 100. the r^3 should cancel out leaving you with a number that should be something long the lines of 12800pi/3 <-- my mental arithmetic may be wrong with that last bit though as I don't have a calculator to hand
    I worked it out and got 52.36%???

ReputationRep:
    checked on a calculator, you're right with that answer, i screwed the arithmetic up. question wants 1dp though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spico)
    checked on a calculator, you're right with that answer, i screwed the arithmetic up. question wants 1dp though
    yayy) THANKYOU SOOO MUCH really helped

ReputationRep:
    I found the answer, but thankyouuuu soon muchhhh)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.