Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Depression OVER-DIAGNOSED? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I think people need to differentiate between being depressed and having depression.

I can be depressed for a day or two if I get bad news. If I have depression, a condition, I will be in it a couple of weeks or months.

Depressed = a state of feeling down, possibly temporary. Depression = mental health condition.

A large amount of people do get depressed, but not all develop depression.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really know how people can dismiss other people's Depression by saying it is "not real depression" or whatever, there's an incredibly subjective element to it. Is it not just a bit of a "no true scotman's" fallacy?

ReputationRep:
    I think so, yes.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't particularly say it is being particularly over diagnosed (maybe slightly but not dramatically so) but more that its becoming more socially acceptable to have a mental disorder. Particular with younger people, life is a lot more stressful than it was 20 years ago, 50 year ago etc. and there is cyber bullying and the likes. I think its just a case of people are more likely to admit their feelings nowadays because it is not a taboo subject. But I think gps quickly jump on the depression bandwagon when there is other mental health issues at work but don't have the time/effort to dig deeper.

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion from what I know I know it is probably over diagnosed because I see people who claim to suffer from depression and I wish I felt like they did because compared to me some allegedly depressed people haven't gone through shyte.

Anyway I believe that mental health condition is curable because up until 18yo I was a normal person but since then I've never been the same . But I should be able to get to how I was before depression started in a way. But anyway we'll see how life goes

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RomanKing)
    In my opinion from what I know I know it is probably over diagnosed because I see people who claim to suffer from depression and I wish I felt like they did because compared to me some allegedly depressed people haven't gone through shyte.

Anyway I believe that mental health condition is curable because up until 18yo I was a normal person but since then I've never been the same . But I should be able to get to how I was before depression started in a way. But anyway we'll see how life goes

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But depression isn't always about how much stuff you go through in life. It's about the inner turmoil. So someone, as you say, can go through **** and not get depression but that doesn't mean the person who is depressed should feel bad because they have it less worse off...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    But depression isn't always about how much stuff you go through in life. It's about the inner turmoil. So someone, as you say, can go through **** and not get depression but that doesn't mean the person who is depressed should feel bad because they have it less worse off...
    I started becoming depressed before I turned 19 and have never been the same. I think depression changes or transitions you in a way that is in the most part irreversible; in negative and positive ways.
    The fact that it's so easy to be offered anti depressants from your GP shouldn't be ignored.

Many people are diagnosed with depression because it's the easier thing to do. I guess I live with real life depression and know what it feels like and wish I was like some of these people who claim to have depression because they look like they're far better off than I am. But then again, everyone has their own problems and everyones story is different. I'm just speaking my mind not making firm judgement on anyone or anything.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RomanKing)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But you don't know what **** has gone in their life, do you?
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt say its over diagnosed per say but doctors prescribe more medication for it than they should. in an ideal world, everyone should have counseling before being prescribed antidepressants/anti-anxiolytics/anti-psychotics for depression but reality is is that waaiting lists for CBT is between 7 months and 2 years in a lot of places (thank you ineffectual NHS spending) so a lot of people who can be better off with counselling end up on anti-depressants, a third of which (I have seen) are on them for long-term with minimal improvement in quality of life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    But you don't know what **** has gone in their life, do you?
    I'm sorry for your suffering but depression isn't always about what has gone on in somebodies life.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tw1x)
    I'm sorry for your suffering but depression isn't always about what has gone on in somebodies life.
    I know. But I get the impression that you and the other user appearto be belittling other peoples depression, despite the fact that you more than likely don't know the first thing about their depression in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    I know. But I get the impression that you and the other user appearto be belittling other peoples depression, despite the fact that you more than likely don't know the first thing about their depression in the first place.
    You're missing the point and the other user is called RomanKing.

My point is, I'm sure there are people who pretend to suffer from depression for many reasons. Would you agree?

ReputationRep:
    How am I the one belittling depression? Either you are quoting the wrong person or completely misread my post. I said some people's depression doesn't occur from what's happened in their lives - that it can be down to their brain chemistry. I would never belittle anybody with a mental illness.

Edit: I'm sorry, I quoted you originally when I meant to quote RomanKing

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 29, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.