Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Here's my problem, I want to go to university this year, but I can't decide what to study. I'm torn between getting a degree that I would enjoy and one that would get me a successful career or one with a good pay... I must confess, my alevels aren' the most practical, I'll probably get a B and maybe even an A in A-level maths, but the problem lies in my other two choices (BTEC Business and IT), I admit that I didn't really think through the whole A-level thing when I chose my subjects but there are still courses I can apply for with these subjects so long as I get good enough grades. I've contemplated doing maths, computer science, accounting, financing and IT, but the problem is although I can get an A in maths, it relies heavily on me revising as opposed to skill. I'm decent at maths but compared to others, my grades come from hard work instead of natural talent. This is holding me back from applying for any maths related degree... Also, every time I go to apply for one, I see lots of comments from people saying that if you're not passionate about the subject you shouldn't apply for it... At this point in life I just want a degree that is prestigious enough to open up lots of job opportunities...

ReputationRep:
    Your subject choices are fine for the degrees that you listed and a lot more, however have you considered applying for a joint honours or a major/minor degree?

If you get at least Distinctions in both IT and Business and an A/B in Maths you shouldn't find it difficult getting offers for any of the degrees you listed or any of the following:

Computer Science and / with Mathematics
    Computer Science and / with Management
    Computer Science and Accounting / Finance - (seen this offered at some unis)
    Management and / with Accounting
    Management and / with Mathematics
    Economics and / with Mathematics

Also have a look at:

Economics
    Management Sciences
    Data Science
    MORSE / MORS (or similar)
    Finance
    Statistics
    Business Analytics / Informatics
    Financial Mathematics
    Applied Mathematics / Mathematical Applications / Mathematical Studies / Mathematical Science
    Actuarial Science
    IT Management / IT in Organisations
    Business Information Systems

Hope this helps

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.