Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are apprenticeships a hoax? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So i have this friend who's really excited about doing an apprenticeship with good pay I think she's going to do her a levels some time after but my mum is telling me not to do it because apparently the qualifications you gain don't really count for much so i'll just be doing a levels late with people younger than me while my friends go uni and she also said they use it as a cheap labour kind of thing.

So is it like fake something that looks good but really isn't. Btw I really want to study law in the future at cambridge or LSE so that career path probably isn't for me anyways but I am genuinely interested in apprenticeships

ReputationRep:
    bump a lump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LunaTy)
    So i have this friend who's really excited about doing an apprenticeship with good pay I think she's going to do her a levels some time after but my mum is telling me not to do it because apparently the qualifications you gain don't really count for much so i'll just be doing a levels late with people younger than me while my friends go uni and she also said they use it as a cheap labour kind of thing.

So is it like fake something that looks good but really isn't. Btw I really want to study law in the future at cambridge or LSE so that career path probably isn't for me anyways but I am genuinely interested in apprenticeships
    Previously, apprenticeships were targeted at people in working-class families and were focused in sectors such as plumbing etc. Now, however, things had changed and it almost seems like getting an apprenticeship is a better deal than going to university. If a person is certain with regards to the career path they wish to go into, apprenticeships could provide a really good opportunity to get actual work experience and qualifications, especially in well-established firms such as KPMG. I personally, however, do not like the idea of apprenticeships merely because they really bind you to a certain industry, making it more difficult to change your career.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, there are even some legal apprenticeships that take 6 years to complete and include LLB, LPC, TC. On completion you become a qualified solicitor, but those are extremely difficult to come by yet, as this only had started recently.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the Apprenticeship, if were talking some kind of Customer Service Apprenticeship, just forget about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LunaTy)

It is essentially cheap labour. A lot of companies do it to cover maternity for the year on the cheap. I would recommend doing A-levels it gives you a lot, lot more insight when compared with just having GCSE'S I am on an apprenticeship, but i have already done a-levels. In our area State organisations are big employers and they seem to get rid of people on 18-20k pay an apprentice NMW for a year , if they are any good they hire them permanently on the NMW. I think it is a way for companies to exploit youngsters and would not recommend it but all the jobs in my area seem to be for apprentices, the companies demand the world on a stick and pay **** money. Also you seem to can a lot of the blame from the more experienced staff who seem to invariably blame apprentices for whatever happens. If you are set against doing A-levels go for a job

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.