Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I got my first boyfriend 2 years ago and moved in with him. We lived together for a year but then he sadly passed away. I never got any closure, I wasn't allowed at his funeral and feel like I never got to say goodbye.
    I talk to him every night (whether he hears me and is looking over me is a different story and not something I want to get into here, everybody has their own beliefs). But I go out and sleep with any guy I find. And even when I'm with these other guys I just keep thinking of my old boyfriend and wishing he was here with me instead. All of my friends have started telling me I'm a slut and talking about me behind my back. They think that just cos I'm out with other guys that my boyfriend's death isn't affecting me.
    I don't know what to do

ReputationRep:
    Speak to someone about it, you need to get past this with a professional, I would recommend a counsellor. Do you have any family or close friends you can speak to?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I got my first boyfriend 2 years ago and moved in with him. We lived together for a year but then he sadly passed away. I never got any closure, I wasn't allowed at his funeral and feel like I never got to say goodbye.
    I talk to him every night (whether he hears me and is looking over me is a different story and not something I want to get into here, everybody has their own beliefs). But I go out and sleep with any guy I find. And even when I'm with these other guys I just keep thinking of my old boyfriend and wishing he was here with me instead. All of my friends have started telling me I'm a slut and talking about me behind my back. They think that just cos I'm out with other guys that my boyfriend's death isn't affecting me.
    I don't know what to do
    To me it sounds like you need help, sounds like the reason you sleep with this guys i because you want to feel wanted and loved but it isn't healthy for you.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    In addition to the other comments, I would add that everyone has their own coping mechanism - try not to take to heart how others perceive you. I agree that you do need help in order to grieve and move on.

I've gone to a counseller in school earlier in the year. But, I found that she just didn't have enough background on the whole situation. You know like I didn't want to have to go through how I met him, why did I move in with him, what happened when I did etc.... I spent many sessions just telling her about my family, who I live with and stuff like that.
    A lot happened with me and him, and his family (hence me not being allowed at his funeral). So, it's very difficult to talk to someone who has no idea who I even am about it.
    Does that make sense?

I've spoken to my friends a few times, but they always seem uncomfortable if I ever bring him up.

ReputationRep:
    You could have a memorial for him where it's just you and your family, that way you'll get to say goodbye and hopefully move on. Don't listen to what friends are saying, they don't know what you're going through and have no right to judge you. If they are then they aren't your friends.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up sugar, or salt?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.