Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi All!
    I'm currently in year 12, doing AS English, and the March mocks, as well as May exams are coming up, very fast... I'm still very unsure as to how I should revise for AS English. I've done the Tempest, and A Streetcar Named Desire, and now i'm doing poetry (Rossetti) and also The Bloody Chamber, as well as other stories, and tbh, I havent actually been told how to revise at all... It should perhaps be common sense, but i'm kinda struggling with what to revise. I revise well with my other subjects but English seems to be very different. Is it possible for any of you to share your best revision tips and techniques, and also what sort of stuff you revise. I've got The Tempest quotations on my wall atm, as well as character mindmaps but thats all I have Thank you everyone!!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by benj1999)
    Hi All!
    I'm currently in year 12, doing AS English, and the March mocks, as well as May exams are coming up, very fast... I'm still very unsure as to how I should revise for AS English. I've done the Tempest, and A Streetcar Named Desire, and now i'm doing poetry (Rossetti) and also The Bloody Chamber, as well as other stories, and tbh, I havent actually been told how to revise at all... It should perhaps be common sense, but i'm kinda struggling with what to revise. I revise well with my other subjects but English seems to be very different. Is it possible for any of you to share your best revision tips and techniques, and also what sort of stuff you revise. I've got The Tempest quotations on my wall atm, as well as character mindmaps but thats all I have Thank you everyone!!
    I tend to find all of the quotes I'm using for my wider reading and write them all up in a notebook, then transfer them onto post it notes and stick them around my room, organised by whatever themes you can see in them read over them every day and test yourself on them too If you have one quote per text then you can also transfer them onto flash cards and test yourself that way make sure you do some practice essays too, or for a quicker burst of revision you could just practice planning them

Make sure you understand and have read all of your wider reading too - if you can't talk about it in the context of the piece of writing you got it from, then you will get less marks make sure you know any character names and plot points that your quotes relate too, and talk about the structure of your wider reading if you can too, to show a greater awareness of the text as a whole

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.