Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I've got offers from St George's for international medicine course and King's 5-year medicine course as an international with the same conditional offer, but I'm not sure which one to firm. King's is more reputable and my parents know this university but central london is so expensive... Also both courses doesn't guarantee us to be able to work in the UK afterwards and I would prefer to work in the USA possibly more although I know it's hard to get in but since the tuition fees for medicine is so expensive, US sounds more appealing financially (I don't mind working in less competitive specialties). Also St Georges course focuses more on USMLE which could boost our grades, and St Georges offers US clinical and it sounds like it could help me get some references too. Can anyone give me more advice on which one to take?I'm thankful for both offer but am really troubled by this..

ReputationRep:
    Well done on the offers. I have no direct experience of either course but certainly wouldn't be swayed by your parents having previously heard of King's... both are reputable institutions. St George's was founded in the early 18th century and its previous faculty include Henry Gray, John Hunter, and Edward Jenner. Look them up if you have to but St George's is absolutely not deficient in pedigree!

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar situation I'm international too but deciding between kcl and Newcastle and I declined kcl's offer because medicine there is way too expensive, pretty much equivalent to studying in US. I didn't apply to St Georges INTO program this cycle but I kind of regret it now because I would've chose it instead seeing I'll probably do USMLE myself anyways. And as you said US clinical years do seem quite useful. Anyways really consider it well but I think more important to focus on your future instead of impressing your parent with kcl's name haha, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, I'll wait for the other universities for their replies but I'll probably firm St Georges

ReputationRep:
    Things seem to be looking very bad for us internationals...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a6877911.html

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.