Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Downfall of Social Media? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    An interesting thought I've just had is that in the near future, is it possible that social media will come to a standstill and will be forgotten due to the fact that it has more negatives than positives?
    For example, all it seems to do (from what I've seen and been in) is tear people apart because of the huge amounts of online arguments, insults, tensions and discrimination when certain issues and opinions are mentioned, like race, gender, political views etc; and rarely bringing people together.
    Also, some situations that have happened on social media have literally destroyed and exposed people's lives, spreading hate and laughing at one another maliciously.

Social media also exposes our privacy, encouraging us to put personal information online, like how these sites constantly ask us to "tell us about yourself" or "update your location information" which goes back to the vicious internet argument topic. If some debates turn fierce enough, someone could end up tracking down the person who they've been insulted by; hurting them in real life. I don't want to sound like a grouchy, technology hating old woman, I'm a tech-loving teen myself lol
    (I know that these people, including some cases of my past self shouldn't have started or gotten involved in these kinds of situations, but hey, we all make mistakes and can't help ourselves; we're lead by temptation.)

Do you think and everyone will just think "screw it" and just be done with mainstream social media and just delete the apps on their phone and erase their huge online footprint and focus on the real world instead of the virtual one?
    I don't mean the entire internet, I mean things like public commenting (Google+, god I've seen some full on things there), Facebook, Twitter and so on.
    I'm all for sharing each others opinions and viewpoints, but these arguments that people engage in whilst they're younger and not thinking about the bigger picture could be publically found by future employers, children etc and could be held against them? Especially if they log in with their full name so everyone knows who they are.
    I don't know, it just seems easier if all negative things (deleted or still on the internet) could be wiped off the databases and are permanently deleted from accessing ever again to save lots of us a lot of effort and upsets.

What do you guys think? I've spoken to a few other people about this and they've all said the same thing as me- get rid of hate!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    As much as I woudl love to see the end of social media I can't say I think it will happen. I mean for one I know that the CT class TSR as being social media and I can't see this site going away anytime soon. I do think that the sites we use will change but just not the fact that we use them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    As much as I woudl love to see the end of social media.
    Go away then.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by RobML)
    Go away then.
    That wasn't very nice. And I don't class TSR as social media because it isn't a vanity project to most users.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    That wasn't very nice. And I don't class TSR as social media because it isn't a vanity project to most users.
    It's certainly social media.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't too sure if forums were classed as social media or not lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    Go away then.
    Go on my son!!!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.