Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

S08 - Statement from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Watch

Announcements
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    S08 - Statement on Foreign Aid ChangesThe Foreign and Commonwealth Office, after a review of Foreign Aid, is pleased to announce the redirection of funds to the NHS. The reduction in Foreign Aid being used for fossil fuel projects will mean £1.2bn can be recouped by the treasury, with a further £1bn being diverted to provide the NHS with the funds necessary to build 10 new Independent Living Centres (ILCs) around the country, at a total cost of £30m. These ILCs will provide jobs for approximately 45 staff per centre, including receptionists and managers. A further £10m will be put aside to invest in the latest assistive technologies for the centres, as well as ensuring the access will be fully accessible for all. The remainder of the funds shall be protected to ensure the future of these centres for the next 10 years, after which a review into the centres may be conducted.

Source on Fossil Fuels: http://cafod.org.uk/News/Press-Centr...r-fossil-fuels
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I am very pleased to hear this movement in funds, as foreign aid has too much expenditure from the treasury. I am pleasantly surprised as I wouldn't have expected this from our government!

ReputationRep:
    Who is making this statement?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    The government.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Ummm, this makes the defence SoI look good. Since when was the NHS foreign exactly?

I suppoae !misappropriation of funds is nothing new for this government, twice they have tried to use MoD funding for foreign aid, so foreign aid to health is hardly unexpected.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    The government.
    I meant who exactly is the author.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    JoeL1994 the Foreign Secretary with the agreement of the Health Secretary Kay_Winters
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    The Foreign and Commonwealth Office
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Ummm, this makes the defence SoI look good. Since when was the NHS foreign exactly?

I suppoae !misappropriation of funds is nothing new for this government, twice they have tried to use MoD funding for foreign aid, so foreign aid to health is hardly unexpected.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm given to understand this was co-authored/approved by the Health Secretary. However there were no authors listed in the version submitted to me.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aye.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    I'm given to understand this was co-authored/approved by the Health Secretary. However there were no authors listed in the version submitted to me.
    Answers somebody else's question, doesn't answer my point.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Aye.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I am.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm releasing my funds to the NHS.

ReputationRep:
    Looks good to me
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeL1994)
    I'm releasing my funds to the NHS.
    If you are SoS for ID then you still are potentially failing the law.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    If you are SoS for ID then you still are potentially failing the law.
    I don't follow your probably drunken train of thought.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeL1994)
    I don't follow your probably drunken train of thought.
    What own cannot forget is more drunk than I am now I could run circles around your former chancellor. DFID has a legal spending obligation on foreign aid, this, as something that is not new to this government, is a misappropriation of funds, and if it brings you below the legal foreign aid obligation means you are in breach of the law, that I might add your masters implemented.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    What own cannot forget is more drunk than I am now I could run circles around your former chancellor. DFID has a legal spending obligation on foreign aid, this, as something that is not new to this government, is a misappropriation of funds, and if it brings you below the legal foreign aid obligation means you are in breach of the law, that I might add your masters implemented.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The statement is a very clear message from my department that the foreign aid obligation will be spent only where it is needed and if it is not, it will not be spent. I would like to point out that I would rather help those in the UK currently suffering a disservice than fritter money away disguised as Foreign Aid, just to meet an obligation I do not necessarily agree with. Your concerns are noted however.

ReputationRep:
    Answers somebody else's question, doesn't answer my point.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You do realize you were quoting the Speaker, right?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 21, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.