Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am 17 and still in school and living with my parents. I have a job at clothes shop which the company I work for is considered a good company that looks after its workers. I work on Saturdays and during the holidays. However, I don't really enjoy it that much. I don't look forward to it and it can get quite boring. I also don't like the pressure of talking to every customer that walks through the door. I like my co workers but we're also not really allowed to talk to each other whilst we're working and plus I'm much younger than everyone who works there. I like working there sometimes, but usually it feels like I'm wasting time. The pay is quite good but I also babysit, so it's not like it's my only source of pocket money. I have only been working there for 8 months...do you think I should stay on until I've been there a year, quit, etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cassyk)
    I am 17 and still in school and living with my parents. I have a job at clothes shop which the company I work for is considered a good company that looks after its workers. I work on Saturdays and during the holidays. However, I don't really enjoy it that much. I don't look forward to it and it can get quite boring. I also don't like the pressure of talking to every customer that walks through the door. I like my co workers but we're also not really allowed to talk to each other whilst we're working and plus I'm much younger than everyone who works there. I like working there sometimes, but usually it feels like I'm wasting time. The pay is quite good but I also babysit, so it's not like it's my only source of pocket money. I have only been working there for 8 months...do you think I should stay on until I've been there a year, quit, etc?
    It's a job, you're not there to hang out with coworkers, have fun, and look forward to it. They are paying you to do a better job. You say it's decent pay and a good company, it will be better for your future to stay on and gain more experience.

ReputationRep:
    Most jobs are like that. I work in retail and don't necessarily like my job either but I wouldn't quit because sometimes it's boring. It's hard to find a job now so if you quit your chances of finding another may not be great, and it won't look good on your cv to leave after 8 months. If you can stick it out definitely do so until you find a job you prefer

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like a good deal and it's better for your CV if you've had a part time job. Just because you don't enjoy it doesn't mean you should quit. It'll give you good transferable skill for when you're older and looking for a different job.

I wouldn't quit, it's money and it's experience. Don't waste it.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    There's nothing stopping you applying to other places whilst you still have this job, to try and find something you might enjoy a little bit more.

I assume part-time Saturday jobs will get a lot of applications from people the same age as yourself, but a lot of those won't have experience, so you stand a better chance if your CV is decent and reflects the experience you've got from it. Worth a go I reckon.

Probably not the best move to quit and then look for a new job. Your next potential employer will just think 'well they'll probably do the same here'. If you're ever asked why you're looking to move job, don't focus on the negative, but spin it positively "Looking for a new challenge", "I like your company and the way it works", "my skills are better suited to this job" etc...

As someone that's been interviewing people these past couple of weeks, if you focus on the negative you'll come across as negative and not worth the risk.

ReputationRep:
    Jobs are about earning money not having fun. You're unlikely to find anything better and if you have decent pay and a company that treats you well then I'd say stick it out. Save some money for when you finish your A levels and keep gaining work experience.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by CJ)
    There's nothing stopping you applying to other places whilst you still have this job, to try and find something you might enjoy a little bit more.

I assume part-time Saturday jobs will get a lot of applications from people the same age as yourself, but a lot of those won't have experience, so you stand a better chance if your CV is decent and reflects the experience you've got from it. Worth a go I reckon.

Probably not the best move to quit and then look for a new job. Your next potential employer will just think 'well they'll probably do the same here'. If you're ever asked why you're looking to move job, don't focus on the negative, but spin it positively "Looking for a new challenge", "I like your company and the way it works", "my skills are better suited to this job" etc...

As someone that's been interviewing people these past couple of weeks, if you focus on the negative you'll come across as negative and not worth the risk.
    I agree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cassyk)
    Hi Cassyk, I've worked in retail myself and can relate to the fact that there are times when working in a shop can be boring, although at the same time, on the positive side, do feel proud that you have a job, and that it probably won't be the only job you'll ever have.

Saturday's are always great days to work in shops as the "endless" stream of customers make the day go quicker, and what you should also see as another great positive is that you could meet more new people, including any of your immediate work colleagues outside of the shop. This could open up huge social avenues for you. It's also a great feeling that you are able to pay your own way in the world, treat yourself, and realise how proud your family will be of you. If you have any quiet moments in the shop, use some initiative and go around and offer to help out other colleagues on the shop floor, take breaks occasionally and also walk around the shop asking if anyone needs any help, and help to tidy up any stock that's fallen on the floor, help with deliveries, anything to keep you busy.

This impresses your bosses incredibly, them seeing that you're a hard-worker, you're dedicated, and use initiative and can work on your own. The potential to end up as a Floor Manager, any roles like that may happen at some point, so at the end of the day, realise that you won't always be working there unless you want to, go home in the evening realising that you've had a good day and you thoroughly enjoy what you're doing.

Best of luck, most of all, keep your chin up, smile and enjoy the possibilities that lie before you

ReputationRep:
    I would (honestly) ditch it and focus on school work, you will have so much time to revise extra if you put your mind to it.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.