Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I pull out my hair - trichotillomania AMA watch

18 y/o female
    Been pulling out my hair for as long as I can remember.
    The sides and back of my head are virtually bald - but I try my best to hide it.
    I don't know why I pull my hair out, it's just a satisfyng feeling I get during it, but it is ruining my hair and confidence.
    I've tried to stop many times but the longest I've lasted is 2 weeks without pulling, and even then I was pulling during the night I'm scared to show anyone my natural hair apart from my family of fear they won't understand or feel disgusted.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you just shave it really short?

(Original post by Eternalflames)
    Why don't you just shave it really short?
    I feel there will be some sort of a stigma by othergirls if I do shave it off, or people just asking questions why
    I want to have nice hair and styles but the hair pulling has resticted that

ReputationRep:
    First of all, don't be ashamed of, the people that wouldn't understand aren't worth your time tbh, have you spoken to your doctor about the reasons behind it? If it really is addictive, like Eternalflames said, cut it short to resist the tempation personally, I would never judge you for anything like that, I'm sure you're an amazing person!

ReputationRep:
    A pixie cut would look nice, and then you could wear wigs when you want longer hairstyles.

(Original post by Blondie987)
    First of all, don't be ashamed of, the people that wouldn't understand aren't worth your time tbh, have you spoken to your doctor about the reasons behind it? If it really is addictive, like Eternalflames said, cut it short to resist the tempation personally, I would never judge you for anything like that, I'm sure you're an amazing person!
    Unless I'm completely bald, I will still pull
    I don't want to have no hair as a girl really
    I haven't been to a doctor about it as I'm not sure if it really is an issue I would like to openly discuss - none of my friends have any clue about it, some of them think I've shaved the sides off my head on purpose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Unless I'm completely bald, I will still pull
    I don't want to have no hair as a girl really
    I haven't been to a doctor about it as I'm not sure if it really is an issue I would like to openly discuss - none of my friends have any clue about it, some of them think I've shaved the sides off my head on purpose
    If they're close friends, maybe you should talk to them about it, I'm sure they wouldn't judge you and I think it can often be related to stress and anxiety which can be alleviated by talking to others, have you had any cognitive behavioural therapy? That is often helpful for stress, personally I finding tapping quite useful when I have a panic moment, you could try it when you get the urge to pull you hair out?

ReputationRep:
    I know someone like this. Do you suffer from anxiety/ depression?

(Original post by xobeauty)
    I know someone like this. Do you suffer from anxiety/ depression?
    No nothing like that. I don't feel there is a reason for my pulling, I can't remember when/why I started doing it.
    I think I just pull my hair because it feels good when I do regardless of the situation :/

(Original post by Blondie987)
    If they're close friends, maybe you should talk to them about it, I'm sure they wouldn't judge you and I think it can often be related to stress and anxiety which can be alleviated by talking to others, have you had any cognitive behavioural therapy? That is often helpful for stress, personally I finding tapping quite useful when I have a panic moment, you could try it when you get the urge to pull you hair out?
    I feel they won't take it seriously/believe me
    I feel like I've tried everything but the urge is just too strong and I pull without even thinking about it most of the time
    I pull during my sleep as well as I often wake up with loose hair on my pillow, I'm not sure if it's a mental issue

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I feel they won't take it seriously/believe me
    I feel like I've tried everything but the urge is just too strong and I pull without even thinking about it most of the time
    I pull during my sleep as well as I often wake up with loose hair on my pillow, I'm not sure if it's a mental issue
    If this a compulsion, it is likely something that you have just got into the habit of and don't want to stop as it's a part of everyday life but if it's affecting you and you want tot to stop, I would advise you speak to a professional with the right advice

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have trichotillomania too, I'm 18 and since the age of 7 I've struggled with it. I only realised there was something wrong when one day my mum pointed out that I didn't have any eyebrows, and before long I had no eyelashes and numerous bald patches on my head.Since then, I've tried so many techniques to try and stop that constant urge to pull out my hair, but the best thing I found was cognitive behavioural therapy. Although the treatment focused on reducing anxiety (despite not suffering at all with anxiety or depression) it actually helped with awareness and having someone to talk to about it really helped. I know how hard it is and I found telling people about it the most difficult thing, but if you have friends that you can really trust, then telling them is the best thing due to the support they can give you. Not a single person I have told has judged me for it. I now have just an obsession with plucking my eyebrows and occasional bouts of pulling from my head, which is a real success for me. I largely put this down to the CBT and goal setting in my head, and although it took me years to get to this stage, there is hope. I know it's difficult, but seeing your doctor is the best thing you can do because I promise you that with support it will get better.

ReputationRep:
    I have this too. I have had it since the age of 9 and I am now 21. I don't pull as much anymore, but it still has affected me and it always will.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.