Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My assignment was 1500 words, but there is a 10% leeway either way, and I have written 1672 words - would this be okay?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peanutbuttercup)
    My assignment was 1500 words, but there is a 10% leeway either way, and I have written 1672 words - would this be okay?!
    It depends on how strict the uni/department is. I've heard of some unis where you get penalised for going even one word over the 10% limit, in contrast my old uni wasn't strict at all and didn't penalise for word counts not being within the 10% limit.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    At my uni, you d lose 5% of your mark for going over it so i would be careful and cut out those 22 words if you can.

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok, thank you. I have handed in an assignment before that was ridiculously under the word count and got a 2.1, so I guess my uni isn't strict at all. Just wanted to double check

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok, thank you. I have handed in an assignment before that was ridiculously under the word count and got a 2.1, so I guess my uni isn't strict at all. Just wanted to double check
    Going under isn't usually seen as being as bad as going over. If you can tell everything you need to in fewer words then that's good writing, if you go over then it's probably badly written and it takes longer to mark..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.