Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Dear friends,

I am an international student holding a conditional offer to study PPE at the LSE (the condtion is to pass the IELTS - which is no problem).

However, I have found out today that I have a grave medical issue that requires me to undergo surgery. The repercussions of that operation will probably disable me to walk for a couple of months/weeks.

Now my question is, whether I should tell the LSE admission bureau - and whether this incident could possibly change anything about the status of my application.

I was planning on doing the IELTS next Sat but will probably be unable - for the surgery is arranged for somewhen this week.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOU HELP!

J

ReputationRep:
    Will you be completely unable to walk or just have difficulty? You don't have any obligation to inform LSE about your health problem. Closer to the time, they will probably ask whether or not you have any disabilities but this will be so that they can make arrangements to help you, e.g. schedule your classes on the ground floor if you need a wheelchair, etc. I would wait until they ask before contacting them as they might not know what to "do" with the information at the moment.

If you think you won't actually be able to function on the course at all (e.g. you have to be on strict bedrest for the first two terms...) then you should probably tell them as early as possible so that they can arrange to defer your place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MonteCristo)
    Will you be completely unable to walk or just have difficulty? You don't have any obligation to inform LSE about your health problem. Closer to the time, they will probably ask whether or not you have any disabilities but this will be so that they can make arrangements to help you, e.g. schedule your classes on the ground floor if you need a wheelchair, etc. I would wait until they ask before contacting them as they might not know what to "do" with the information at the moment.

If you think you won't actually be able to function on the course at all (e.g. you have to be on strict bedrest for the first two terms...) then you should probably tell them as early as possible so that they can arrange to defer your place.
    I will be unable for a couple of weeks and then have difficulies for a coupld of months. I will definitely be able to walk again by the time the courses start. But I just wanted to know whether it's important/necessary to inform them that I cannot pass the IELTS now because of an medical issue, or whether that's just unnecessary info unless it prevents me from delivering the results before the deadline?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know anything about your course or the IELTS but my instinct would be that you don't need to tell them anything until it's going to impact on somewhat that they require you to do. As long as you can deliver the IELTS results before the deadline, I can't see why they'd be interested in your operation and that you have to delay the test...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.