Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I graduated in 2015 with 2.1 but failed land law (medical issues which weren't accepted, long story). I now need to resit in August 2016 to make my law degree a Qualifying Law Degree (QLD).

Can I still apply for training contracts in the mean time?

Thank you
    • Very Important Poster

You can but I think the fail is a problem. It depends where you are applying. If you are hoping to apply to one of the top firms, then dont be surprised if they weed you out. Unfortunately imo they are looking for excuses to filter down their applicants to the best candidates. The fail will stand out and they can be unforgiving. maybe you interview well, have done vacation schemes and have amazing extra curriculars plus good exam scores.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newdehli)
    I graduated in 2015 with 2.1 but failed land law (medical issues which weren't accepted, long story). I now need to resit in August 2016 to make my law degree a Qualifying Law Degree (QLD).

Can I still apply for training contracts in the mean time?

Thank you
    You can apply - there's nothing stopping you.

You'd have to declare you haven't got a QLD yet and in a very concise way (a sentence or two) explain the long story behind failing land law. If your uni didn't accept the medical circumstances, do you have any medical professional documentation to show it happened?

Some firms won't just filter you out as suggested above, but only due to the mitigating circumstances. You must have had good grades elsewhere to get you a 2.1, although it's a little odd that you haven't already re-sat your land law. I would have expected most unis to have made you do that before you graduated.

In short, disclose the resit issue and mitigating circumstances and some firms will take both into consideration alongside the rest of the info on your application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by J-SP)
    You can apply - there's nothing stopping you.

You'd have to declare you haven't got a QLD yet and in a very concise way (a sentence or two) explain the long story behind failing land law. If your uni didn't accept the medical circumstances, do you have any medical professional documentation to show it happened?

Some firms won't just filter you out as suggested above, but only due to the mitigating circumstances. You must have had good grades elsewhere to get you a 2.1, although it's a little odd that you haven't already re-sat your land law. I would have expected most unis to have made you do that before you graduated.

In short, disclose the resit issue and mitigating circumstances and some firms will take both into consideration alongside the rest of the info on your application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Some films will filter him out as they read the applicaton. Thats just the way some firms work. They will have hundreds if not thousands of applications. It doesnt help that the Uni rejected the mitigating circumstances. Most firms can pick and choose and that means they have the option of choosing people who have never failed. Targeted applications and making enough of them is your best bet. The key at this stage is getting invited to an interview and they have a very limited time to read anyones application.

Agree its very odd to say he graduated, but his degree is incomplete.

ps i didnt say he couldnt apply, just that it doesnt help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP;[url="tel:62739461")
    62739461[/url]]You can apply - there's nothing stopping you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you J-SP. And yes, I have medical certificates available should firms request this. Thanks again.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by newdehli)
    Thank you J-SP. And yes, I have medical certificates available should firms request this. Thanks again.
    What sort of firms are you applying to? City, West End, Regional, High Street?

Just be aware its competitive.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Some films will filter him out as they read the applicaton. Thats just the way some firms work. They will have hundreds if not thousands of applications. It doesnt help that the Uni rejected the mitigating circumstances. Most firms can pick and choose and that means they have the option of choosing people who have never failed. Targeted applications and making enough of them is your best bet. The key at this stage is getting invited to an interview and they have a very limited time to read anyones application.

Agree its very odd to say he graduated, but his degree is incomplete.

ps i didnt say he couldnt apply, just that it doesnt help.
    Some firms might, but I suspect they will be far a few between based on that alone. I used to read 1000s of application forms for various firms. If someone's grades were questionable, the first thing I would do is check if they has mitigating circumstances. If so, I would then take them into account alongside other information. The grade alone doesn't "filter" them in or out.

I've hired people with similar situations anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by J-SP)
    Some firms might, but I suspect they will be far a few between based on that alone. I used to read 1000s of application forms for various firms. If someone's grades were questionable, the first thing I would do is check if they has mitigating circumstances. If so, I would then take them into account alongside other information. The grade alone doesn't "filter" them in or out.

I've hired people with similar situations anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'd like to think firms read all of a persons applications, but I think some firms are more forgiving and more open minded than others. I still can't see how you can award a degree without it being complete.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to think firms read all of a persons applications, but I think some firms are more forgiving and more open minded than others. I still can't see how you can award a degree without it being complete.
    As someone who failed a module in their first year (38%) of a non-law degree and never had to resit it, I know it's possible. If it hadn't have been a core law module, they would have a QLD and wouldn't be in this situation.

What's odd though is that they haven't re-sat it yet. Land tends to be a first or second year module, and so I would have expected the uni to make them resit it at some point in their third year at least or the summer of graduation. But that is probably part of be complicated story.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    She worked for a pretty unforgiving firm.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    She worked for a pretty unforgiving firm.
    Several of them! Although in many others ways they were quite forgiving too.

The one I think you were referring to was the most forgiving with applications than the others. Used to have to assess the whole application throughly...

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.