Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Please need advice? xx Watch

Announcements

1) name a good note taking techniques?

2) is it better to have different notebook for each modules , or is one notebook better?

3 ) should I learn Arabic or French?

ReputationRep:
    1) try making bullet points relating to exactly what the lecturer says rather than focusing on the PowerPoint that you can get online, if you find note taking difficult, it might be a good idea to record your lectures although if you decided to do this, make sure the lecturer has given you their permission

2) personally, I find it easier to split up sections of my notebooks for different topics so I don't get confused but it's personal preference really

3) both are beautiful languages, Which do you prefer and what would you be hooping to use it for? it would probably depend on whom you would expect to need to speak to, I study French and it does seem quite a useful language but my mum speaks a bit of Arabic and it seems useful as well as she worked as a Nurse in Saudi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    1) name a good note taking techniques?

2) is it better to have different notebook for each modules , or is one notebook better?

3 ) should I learn Arabic or French?
    If you think you will struggle with he speed of note taking why not consider a dictophone which you can then pause and write the notes you feel are appropriate without stressing so much during the actual class?

I would probably lean towards different note books or if you use the same then pop your work into an organised folder after you have wrote up the notes. Keeping individual modules stuff together makes exam time less stressful.

I guess it would come down to which you would feel is most beneficial to you long term...if you're planning on living or working in a french speaking country then french would obviously be helpful

ReputationRep:
    Really anonymous?

1) Honestly in lectures I don't think its worth employing specific techniques, you don't really have enough time to be messing about. Read through the slides before you go to the lecture, so when you go in you can focus on the key aspects and areas you didn't get at first. If you want to rewrite lecture notes that's where you might benefit from specific techniques like cornell notes.

2) I put all mine in one, but it was an absolute mess. Its much better to keep all notes separate so that you can actually find what you want/

3) Bit of a curveball. I really don't know, maybe Arabic. It has to be your call.

(Original post by Blondie987)
    1) try making bullet points relating to exactly what the lecturer says rather than focusing on the PowerPoint that you can get online, if you find note taking difficult, it might be a good idea to record your lectures although if you decided to do this, make sure the lecturer has given you their permission

2) personally, I find it easier to split up sections of my notebooks for different topics so I don't get confused but it's personal preference really

3) both are beautiful languages, Which do you prefer and what would you be hooping to use it for? it would probably depend on whom you would expect to need to speak to, I study French and it does seem quite a useful language but my mum speaks a bit of Arabaic and it seems useful as well as she worked as a Nurse in Saudi
    1)i've heard the cornell note taking techniques is good.

2) Do u mean different notebook or only one with dividers? Plus A4 or even smaller?

3) I read the Quran, and would love to learn Arabic to understand it

(Original post by slurry90)
    If you think you will struggle with he speed of note taking why not consider a dictophone which you can then pause and write the notes you feel are appropriate without stressing so much during the actual class?

I would probably lean towards different note books or if you use the same then pop your work into an organised folder after you have wrote up the notes. Keeping individual modules stuff together makes exam time less stressful.

I guess it would come down to which you would feel is most beneficial to you long term...if you're planning on living or working in a french speaking country then french would obviously be helpful
    Hmm tbh the speed isn't the issue it's just that I don't produce effective short notes

(Original post by dean01234)
    Really anonymous?

1) Honestly in lectures I don't think its worth employing specific techniques, you don't really have enough time to be messing about. Read through the slides before you go to the lecture, so when you go in you can focus on the key aspects and areas you didn't get at first. If you want to rewrite lecture notes that's where you might benefit from specific techniques like cornell notes.

2) I put all mine in one, but it was an absolute mess. Its much better to keep all notes separate so that you can actually find what you want/

3) Bit of a curveball. I really don't know, maybe Arabic. It has to be your call.
    Yh I'm considering Cornell. Atm I think having different notebooks is ok I think it's the note taking that's an issue

ReputationRep:
    1)i've heard the cornell note taking techniques is good.

2) Do u mean different notebook or only one with dividers? Plus A4 or even smaller?

3) I read the Quran, and would love to learn Arabic to understand it
    Try different things and see what works for you, I have spectate notebooks for each subject and then have individual dividers for each topic, that works for me . I'd say go with Arabic then, it may even be easier to understand if you don't need to go through an English translation, also Arabic I'd probably more difficult to learn in the UK over French so if you have the opportunity, go for it! بالتوفيق!

Try different things and see what works for you, I have spectate notebooks for each subject and then have individual dividers for each topic, that works for me . I'd say go with Arabic then, it may even be easier to understand if you don't need to go through an English translation, also Arabic I'd probably more difficult to learn in the UK over French so if you have the opportunity, go for it! بالتوفيق!
    How can you attach Dividers to different topics? Like on a A4 book.

ReputationRep:
    How can you attach Dividers to different topics? Like on a A4 book.
    The notebook I bought already had dividers but I think you can buy attachable dividers for a normal A4 notebook in wh smith

The notebook I bought already had dividers but I think you can buy attachable dividers for a normal A4 notebook in wh smith
    Great xdo u use A4notebook?

And how do you take notes?
    And what is the best way getting 4 assignments done?

ReputationRep:
    Great xdo u use A4notebook?

And how do you take notes?
    And what is the best way getting 4 assignments done?
    It is A4 I usually make shorthand notes from what I hear my lecturers talking about, as for assignments, you just need put aside time to start them, start with the easiest/most important first and work your way through them from there

It is A4 I usually make shorthand notes from what I hear my lecturers talking about, as for assignments, you just need put aside time to start them, start with the easiest/most important first and work your way through them from there
    PRSOM xx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.