Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Moving colleges in Oxbridge? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    cross-post.

We've heard a lot about college choices, but I don't recall seeing anything devoted to hearing from insiders who've had second thoughts.

Has anyone here opted to apply to a different college for a second degree at either Cambridge or Oxford? What went into the decision?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camilli)
    cross-post.

We've heard a lot about college choices, but I don't recall seeing anything devoted to hearing from insiders who've had second thoughts.

Has anyone here opted to apply to a different college for a second degree at either Cambridge or Oxford? What went into the decision?
    Personally I stayed at the same college, but I know of two people who moved - one between BA and MPhil/PhD, and one between MPhil & PhD. In both cases, the rationale was funding - their previous colleges either didn't have scholarships, or they didn't secure one, and they were successful for funding in the new college. In the first case, I believe accommodation was also a factor - their old college couldn't provide housing for all the years of the MPhil/PhD, and so they would have been subject to the horrors of the Cambridge private rental market, while the new college could provide housing for the duration of graduate study.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.