Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I've recently moved home. I used to live near a swimming pool which I went to pretty religiously, but now I'm not really based conveniently close to anything (without a bus getting involved, and let's face it that's a motivation killer). Been thinking about getting some equipment at home to replace the swimming, alongside running.

Would appreciate any advise on;

1) For non-cardio related workout (as running separately), can anyone recommend a few starter items they've had success with? Ideally specifics as prices vary wildly by brand etc, value is good but I'm willing to spend for the 'right' equipment.

2) With those items, is there a workout routine you're aware of that works well?

Apologies if I've missed out obvious info, just let me know! Thanks
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It depends on how much space you have and exactly how much money you can spend. If you have a spare room and a lot of money then getting a decent squat rack, bench and set of Olympic weights would probably be the best idea. If you are looking for something that can fit in a corner then you will want a set of dumbells (maybe a barbell) or even some kettlebells if you are so inclined. Your cheapest option will probably be gumtree or ebay as there are always second hand items flying around. Personally, my main kettlebell is a 28kg one from here and my dumbells are these in various weights. I would suggest you probably want to get some adjustable dummbells though as this will allow you to progress more smoothly.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly all you need are dumbbells. You can do all upper body and lower body with it, biceps, tris, chest, traps, shoulders, forearms, back,quads, glutes, calves, etc. You can use the weights for weighted sit ups if you want as well, or use the dumbbell for Russian twists although a medicine ball might be more comfortable, it depends on your budget, but like I said, all you really need are dumbbells.
    As far as routine goes, just find any dumbbell routine, or mix and match exercises so you target every muscle group each day you want. Any routine will work well as long as you stay consistent and aim for 8-12 reps each set.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    It depends on how much space you have and exactly how much money you can spend. If you have a spare room and a lot of money then getting a decent squat rack, bench and set of Olympic weights would probably be the best idea. If you are looking for something that can fit in a corner then you will want a set of dumbells (maybe a barbell) or even some kettlebells if you are so inclined. Your cheapest option will probably be gumtree or ebay as there are always second hand items flying around. Personally, my main kettlebell is a 28kg one from here and my dumbells are these in various weights. I would suggest you probably want to get some adjustable dummbells though as this will allow you to progress more smoothly.
    Thanks for the guidance and appreciate the links. I think I'm going to kick off with some dumbells as that seems a must, then go from there. Any idea what weights are "heavy" for dumbells? I'd want a variable set like you mentioned so I can work up, but don't want to buy something which ends up being too light quite soon (I'd generally consider myself quite a strongly built chap, scientific I know :P ).

(Original post by Hunterj68)
    Honestly all you need are dumbbells. You can do all upper body and lower body with it, biceps, tris, chest, traps, shoulders, forearms, back,quads, glutes, calves, etc. You can use the weights for weighted sit ups if you want as well, or use the dumbbell for Russian twists although a medicine ball might be more comfortable, it depends on your budget, but like I said, all you really need are dumbbells.
    As far as routine goes, just find any dumbbell routine, or mix and match exercises so you target every muscle group each day you want. Any routine will work well as long as you stay consistent and aim for 8-12 reps each set.

Thanks, appreciate the tips. Any recommendation on what dumbbell weights I should go for (2x20kg w/variable?), or even a preferred set if you have a recommendation? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    Thanks for the guidance and appreciate the links. I think I'm going to kick off with some dumbells as that seems a must, then go from there. Any idea what weights are "heavy" for dumbells? I'd want a variable set like you mentioned so I can work up, but don't want to buy something which ends up being too light quite soon (I'd generally consider myself quite a strongly built chap, scientific I know :P ).

Thanks, appreciate the tips. Any recommendation on what dumbbell weights I should go for (2x20kg w/variable?), or even a preferred set if you have a recommendation? Thanks
    Try out what Weight you can handle but make sure your using mainly your Arms not your back. Also work Tricep a lot because they are a bigger Musclegroup than your Biceps and it will make your Arms look bigger. For Sets I would say 4x 8-12 Reps. Buy Weight Sets so it will be cheaper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Realistically if you're looking to lift - either join a decent gym; or get yourself a form of power rack, a barbell and 100kg or so of weights

ReputationRep:
    I have my yoga mat at home for stretching and a indoor bike.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aadin_)
    Try out what Weight you can handle but make sure your using mainly your Arms not your back. Also work Tricep a lot because they are a bigger Musclegroup than your Biceps and it will make your Arms look bigger. For Sets I would say 4x 8-12 Reps. Buy Weight Sets so it will be cheaper
    Soz delay, been away.

Thanks for the tips. Been looking for some dumbbell sets and been pretty staggered by the differences in prices. Some are £200, some are £40, yet ultimately they give the same weight so I'm not sure why! Is there anything wrong with a set like this one linked below? Gives 50kg of weight for £40.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dumbbell-S...gzrY258qfSB50A

ReputationRep:
    Not really, more than likely just durability and brand name I paid like $50 (that's like £37) for mine and they work fine.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 21, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.