Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Getting Pi/2 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday someone asked a question about everyone's favorite function,  f(x) = \frac{\sin(x)}{x} and I posed the challenge to get the result \displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\sin(x)}{x} dx = \frac{\pi}{2} from the Gamma function. I thought this would be a good way to improve my frankly horrible LaTeX skills, I hope I can present Euler's brilliance.

\displaystyle \Gamma(t) = \int_{0}^{\infty} x^{t-1} e^{-x} dx ,

we now sub \ x=su^{n} , to get, \displaystyle \Gamma(t) = \int_{0}^{\infty} s^{t} n u^{nt-1} e^{-su^{n}} du ,

removing constants we obtain,\displaystyle \frac{\Gamma(t)}{ns^{t}} = \int_{0}^{\infty} u^{nt-1} e^{-su^{n}} du

we now consider the case that s is complex, which therefore gives us an equation for its conjugate,  \bar{s} , that being, \displaystyle \frac{\Gamma(t)}{ n\bar{s}^{t}} = \int_{0}^{\infty} u^{nt-1} e^{-\bar{s}u^{n}} du ,

we then add/sub the two equations together, \displaystyle (\frac{\Gamma(t)}{s^{t}n} \pm \frac{\Gamma(t)}{\bar{s}^{t}n}) = \int_{0}^{\infty} u^{nt-1} (e^{-su^{n}} \pm e^{-\bar{s}u^{n}}) du ,

then \displaystyle \frac{\Gamma(t)}{n}(\frac{1}{s^{  t}} \pm \frac{1}{\bar{s}^{t}}) = \int_{0}^{\infty} u^{nt-1} (e^{-su^{n}} \pm e^{-\bar{s}u^{n}}) du ,

we then define \ s ,and. \bar{s} in polar and Cartesian form, so, \ s=a + ib , \bar{s}=a -ib , s=|s|e^{i \alpha} , \bar{s}=|s|e^{-i \alpha} ,

applying these we get, \displaystyle \frac{\Gamma(t)}{n|s|^{t}}(e^{-i \alpha t} \pm e^{i \alpha t}) = \int_{0}^{\infty} u^{nt-1} e^{-au^{n}} (e^{-ibu^n} \pm e^{ibu^n}) du ,

these reduce to, \displaystyle \frac{\Gamma(t)}{n|s|^{t}} \cos( \alpha t) = \int_{0}^{\infty} u^{nt-1} e^{-au^{n}}\cos(bu^{n}) du and \displaystyle \frac{\Gamma(t)}{n|s|^{t}} \sin( \alpha t) = \int_{0}^{\infty} u^{nt-1} e^{-au^{n}}\sin(bu^{n}) du , only the second of these we shall use.

That being the second one. \displaystyle \frac{\Gamma(t)}{n|s|^{t}} \sin( \alpha t) = \int_{0}^{\infty} u^{nt-1} e^{-au^{n}}\sin(bu^{n}) du

we now set \ a=0, b=1 ,and, n=1 thus meaning \ |s|=1 ,and, \alpha = \frac{\pi}{2} ,

we must also use the Euler reflection formula,  \Gamma(t) \Gamma(1-t) = \frac{\pi}{\sin(\pi t)} ,

using what we know, now we get a much more simple formula, \displaystyle \sin\left(\frac{\pi t}{2}\right) \frac{\pi t}{\sin(\pi t) \Gamma(1-t)} = \int_{0}^{\infty} u^{t-1}\sin(u) du ,

now we take the limit as \ t \rightarrow 0 ,

so we have \displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} u^{-1}\sin(u) du = \lim_{t\to 0}  \frac{\pi}{2} \frac{\sin(\frac{\pi}{2})}{\frac  {\pi t}{2}} \frac{\pi t}{\sin(\pi t) \Gamma(1-t)}  , the right hand side having had some \ t's , and,  \pi 's added, but all mathematically consistent.

Evaluating the RHS we get \displaystlye \frac{\pi}{2} \frac{1}{\Gamma(1)}

as we know \displaystlye \lim_{t\to 0} \frac{\sin(t)}{t} =1,
    from this we have, \displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\sin(u)}{u} du = \frac{\pi}{2}  \Box

(typo inevitable, please point out once seen)

ReputationRep:
    Woah.

ReputationRep:
    LaTeX tips: you'll want to use \sin, \cos, \trig instead of sin, cos, trig which are concantenations variables instead of functions.

You'll want \displaystyle \left(\frac{\pi}{2}\right) instead of smaller brackets. You do this by using \left( and \right).

Use \text{and} instead of and.

Leave a space between the integrand and dx by using \, dx

Great work and nice LaTex skills! Apologies for typo, typing on my phone is hard.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Z6.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  19.1 KB
    I used to understand all this ....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    Name:  Z6.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  19.1 KB
    I used to understand all this ....
    do you miss that type of maths at all? or do you prefer the alevel/beginner undergrad content

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DylanJ42)
    do you miss that type of maths at all? or do you prefer the alevel/beginner undergrad content
    ask me in the morning ... my head is too fuzzy now!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    ask me in the morning ... my head is too fuzzy now!!
    sure thing, get some sleep sir, it is getting late :yawn:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DylanJ42)
    sure thing, get some sleep sir, it is getting late :yawn:
    goodnight !!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.