Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone

I have question about how to become computer programmer. I'm 23 years old, I finished my education at level 2 BTEC Diploma in IT. I just realize I failed and I need to get back to college or get some courses. However I would like to become a computer programmer and I need someone to advise me which path I should follow in education to get qualification. I'm know I will have to learn a lot by myself but it's my goal and I think I will achive it, I just need education to get job easier after I learn how to code. Just want to add I can't do full time courses but I can go part time weekends or online of course.

Thanks a lot for the help.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe look at a part-time BTEC Level 3 in IT/Computing.

Alternatively you could look at the Open University and do their Computing degree part-time through distance learning, it allows you to work at your own pace and you can basically take as long as you want to complete it (up to 16 years), i know people who do this alongside working full time and aim to complete it in 4-6 years

here is the link:
    http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/q62#

another alternative to this is to get an entry level Software Engineering apprenticeship which may not pay well at first but it will be great experience and give you qualifications at the same time

Hope this helps
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    A computer programmer in what exactly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Final Fantasy)
    A computer programmer in what exactly?
    I want to focus on Java (back end) but It will probably change when I learn more about programming. I like to work on computers and I have more than basic knowledge about them so I think it is a good idea to start my career in this industry. I looking for course that will improve my general knowledge about computers as I know the programming is mainly based on how much you learn by yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yt7777)
    Maybe look at a part-time BTEC Level 3 in IT/Computing.

Alternatively you could look at the Open University and do their Computing degree part-time through distance learning, it allows you to work at your own pace and you can basically take as long as you want to complete it (up to 16 years), i know people who do this alongside working full time and aim to complete it in 4-6 years

here is the link:
    http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/q62#

another alternative to this is to get an entry level Software Engineering apprenticeship which may not pay well at first but it will be great experience and give you qualifications at the same time

Hope this helps
    Thanks ! This will help a lot.

ReputationRep:
    I currently study IT in which one of my modules is java (I hate it, but that's because I don't enjoy programming) however for someone like you this would be very interesting. I did a BTEC in information systems and networking in which it enabled me to get onto a degree. To get to university you either need A-Levels or BTEC's from what I know. Including maths and english at grade C or above.

Also you should do the online courses on https://www.codecademy.com/learn this will enable you to understand other programming languages but also has a very good JavaScript on there website.

public class TheStudentRoom {
    public static void main (String[] args ) {

System.out.println("I hope this helps, study hard and you will achieve your goals!");

}

}

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by urbanlocations)
    I currently study IT in which one of my modules is java (I hate it, but that's because I don't enjoy programming) however for someone like you this would be very interesting. I did a BTEC in information systems and networking in which it enabled me to get onto a degree. To get to university you either need A-Levels or BTEC's from what I know. Including maths and english at grade C or above.

Also you should do the online courses on https://www.codecademy.com/learn this will enable you to understand other programming languages but also has a very good JavaScript on there website.

System.out.println("I hope this helps, study hard and you will achieve your goals!";

}

}
    hope*

ReputationRep:

System.out.println("I hope this helps, study hard and you will achieve your goals!";

}

}
    What other languages do you know? I want to learn Python. But I don't have the time to start yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adeel Ali)
    What other languages do you know? I want to learn Python. But I don't have the time to start yet
    I would rather learn Spanish than do programming I hate all aspects of programming if I am been honest. Next year I will be doing SQL

ReputationRep:
    I would rather learn Spanish than do programming I hate all aspects of programming if I am been honest. Next year I will be doing SQL
    Haha Spanish is an awesome language. I did it to GCSE. However, I don't think I have the dedication or commitment to learning it in my spare time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adeel Ali)
    Haha Spanish is an awesome language. I did it to GCSE. However, I don't think I have the dedication or commitment to learning it in my spare time.

What languages do you know?

ReputationRep:
    English Punjabi and Basic Spanish. You?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.