Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Will going to an ex-poly University hinder my employment prospects greatly? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This question has most likely been asked to death, so apologies if that's the case. I currently hold an unconditional offer to study Computer Science at the University of Lincoln and have firmed it but I am worried about employer's outlooks on ex-poly graduates. I understand going to an ex-poly will affect you no matter what, from an employer's perspective, they're most likely going to go for an Imperial graduate than an ex-poly with identical experience.

I plan on doing a year in industry at Lincoln to further my employment prospects and also constantly learn new programming languages (via books, udemy etc) to make sure I'm not going into the industry with little knowledge on one programming knowledge (I think Lincoln only do Java and C#, and from what I understand looking at job descriptions, the more programming languages you're proficient in, the better your chances securing a job).

My main question is: are my employment prospects after graduation going to be poor? I don't want to go to an ex-poly if that truly is the case.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JQLeitch)
    This question has most likely been asked to death, so apologies if that's the case. I currently hold an unconditional offer to study Computer Science at the University of Lincoln and have firmed it but I am worried about employer's outlooks on ex-poly graduates. I understand going to an ex-poly will affect you no matter what, from an employer's perspective, they're most likely going to go for an Imperial graduate than an ex-poly with identical experience.

I plan on doing a year in industry at Lincoln to further my employment prospects and also constantly learn new programming languages (via books, udemy etc) to make sure I'm not going into the industry with little knowledge on one programming knowledge (I think Lincoln only do Java and C#, and from what I understand looking at job descriptions, the more programming languages you're proficient in, the better your chances securing a job).

My main question is: are my employment prospects after graduation going to be poor? I don't want to go to an ex-poly if that truly is the case.

Thanks.
    If your knowledge is up to date with the industry,and your grades are over 2:1,you should be fine in front of employers

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Most employers have forgotten former polytechnics ....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    Most employers have forgotten former polytechnics ....
    They might have forgotten they're specifically ex-polys, but they'd most likely be aware that the unis are not very good. Admittedly, this might be less meaningful for CS and the CS jobmarket.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum_law)
    They might have forgotten they're specifically ex-polys, but they'd most likely be aware that the unis are not very good. Admittedly, this might be less meaningful for CS and the CS jobmarket.
    Exactly what I'm worried about :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum_law)
    definitely!

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

http://thetab.com/2015/10/09/russell...rse-unis-56927

ReputationRep:
    Ha, read that article last week xD

ReputationRep:
    What if the student from an ex poly does a masters from a Russel Group university?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jontyfernz)
    What if the student from an ex poly does a masters from a Russel Group university?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't have anything on this, but they will probably be fine. Contrary to what TSR likes to think, employers don't think your undergrad uni is the be-all, end-all.

The only thing I do know is that having postgrad degree does enhance your graduate prospects - I can't speak for everyone, but postgrad courses have much better employment rates at Oxford compared to their undergrad counterparts.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, read that article last week xD
    Though of course it depends on the discipline and the individual etc so you are not doomed and no-one is guaranteed success (not even HRH The Prince of Wales).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    Though of course it depends on the discipline and the individual etc so you are not doomed and no-one is guaranteed success (not even HRH The Prince of Wales).
    True, although I'm at a disadvantage obviously. Thanks for the reply.

ReputationRep:
    True, although I'm at a disadvantage obviously. Thanks for the reply.
    Not sure if this will help, but at Oxford, the only significant factors affecting graduate employment within the same field are sex and internship experience. They did rationalize the former saying women generally look for meaningful careers rather than aiming only for the money (according to a survey, presumably).

ReputationRep:
    Wtf is an ex-poly uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superhotfire)
    Wtf is an ex-poly uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A university that was previously a polytechnic. Also known as post-1992 Universities.

ReputationRep:
    A university that was previously a polytechnic. Also known as post-1992 Universities.
    And how is that a negative?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Lincoln was never a polytechnic, it was a college of higher education. before becoming University of Humberside in 1992.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.