Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I can't forget anything Watch

Announcements

I've always heard people get over things partly by just forgetting about them. The problem is I just don't.

I've had people cheat on me, people move away and leave me then spend the next year trying to hurt me in various ways, I've had fights, and *****y emails, and problems with my current girlfriends ex. They're all there, and they build up, and up, and I don't know what to do. I remember every conversation, every song that was playing, every look she gave me as she told me she loved me before moving away.

There's slowly becoming more than I can cope with, and I have no idea how to get rid of it all. I just don't know what to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've always heard people get over things partly by just forgetting about them. The problem is I just don't.

I've had people cheat on me, people move away and leave me then spend the next year trying to hurt me in various ways, I've had fights, and *****y emails, and problems with my current girlfriends ex. They're all there, and they build up, and up, and I don't know what to do. I remember every conversation, every song that was playing, every look she gave me as she told me she loved me before moving away.

There's slowly becoming more than I can cope with, and I have no idea how to get rid of it all. I just don't know what to do.
    try to interact with people or do things that u like doing it
    watch the ellen show
    or do activities or the hobbies u like
    time heals everything.... take ur time

(Original post by fatima1998)
    try to interact with people or do things that u like doing it
    watch the ellen show
    or do activities or the hobbies u like
    time heals everything.... take ur time
    This is stuff from years ago. In those years I've made friends, gone on trips, have a new girlfriend. All the pain from everything is still there though. Every word and action is just stored away in my head and I can't get rid if them. This isn't just a couple of months, these are the memories of every time anyone has hurt me, right back to a bully trying to force feed me feathers as a seven year old, and I can't forget any of them.

ReputationRep:
    This is stuff from years ago. In those years I've made friends, gone on trips, have a new girlfriend. All the pain from everything is still there though. Every word and action is just stored away in my head and I can't get rid if them. This isn't just a couple of months, these are the memories of every time anyone has hurt me, right back to a bully trying to force feed me feathers as a seven year old, and I can't forget any of them.
    Have you tried counselling?

ReputationRep:
    u need more of an emotional support...
    try to explain to ur gf, she may help u

ReputationRep:
    Clearly you require counselling

I tried counselling. I realised that I was just going through the motions and automatically giving them the answers I assumed they wanted to hear.

I've talked to my girlfriend but she can't really understand. Stuff fades from her memory, it just doesn't from mine and it's hard to explain the effect it has.

ReputationRep:
    Try Hypnotherapy maybe?

I have tried it as I could not get over the emotions old memories fired off in different situations. It is like the thing with "When I was a child, there was always sunny and warm in the summer and cold (snow) in the winter", we all know this isn´t true.

But, whenever there is a nice sunny day it gives you a feeling of another good memory on a nice sunny day. Your brain goes after a while "hey! all sunny days are awesome", and unfortunately your brain does the same with bad memories, it associated things. And that is why some things like the ones we can´t make sense out of, becomes worse with time.

So we put good memories and feelings into good memories, and the opposite with bad ones. Hypnotherapy sort of reverses that cycle and make the memories more bearable and easier to deal with.

Right now it sounds like you just can´t let the bad ones go, and it is a bad cycle. You need to learn to let it go and allow yourself to be happy and who you really are

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 19, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.