Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Jaw surgery before exam period? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am currently a third year uni student and im going to have jaw surgery at the end of march.

My exams are in may.

What is your recommendationg for going through with this? Im scared the surgery will leave me miserable and unable to study etc.

My surgeon told me hes had people literally go to work the day after the surgery because theyve had no pains etc.

Anyone here who has had jaw surgery can give their honest opinion? Im scared it's going to greatly affect my revision, however...

ive been waiting for this surgery for 7 years now and ive been going to the dentist back and forth for 4 years. What with the constant appointments my patience is starting to wear thin. I just want it over and done with and maybe be able to smile properly in my grad photos.

Honest opinion guys?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mcomelette)
    I am currently a third year uni student and im going to have jaw surgery at the end of march.

My exams are in may.

What is your recommendationg for going through with this? Im scared the surgery will leave me miserable and unable to study etc.

My surgeon told me hes had people literally go to work the day after the surgery because theyve had no pains etc.

Anyone here who has had jaw surgery can give their honest opinion? Im scared it's going to greatly affect my revision, however...

ive been waiting for this surgery for 7 years now and ive been going to the dentist back and forth for 4 years. What with the constant appointments my patience is starting to wear thin. I just want it over and done with and maybe be able to smile properly in my grad photos.

Honest opinion guys?

Thanks.
    Get it done, as by the sounds of it, it is life changing. So hope for the best, and hope what the surgeon said is true for you as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zetamcfc)
    Get it done, as by the sounds of it, it is life changing. So hope for the best, and hope what the surgeon said is true for you as well.
    Thank you for your reply.

Is there someone here who has had jaw surgery? Im having my upper jaw moves forward as ive got an underbite.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mcomelette)
    Thank you for your reply.

Is there someone here who has had jaw surgery? Im having my upper jaw moves forward as ive got an underbite.
    I had mine done about 9 years ago (top and bottom broken to correct an overbite). The pain was pretty minimal (they'll give you painkillers on discharge anyways). My jaw was fairly stiff and couldn't open it much so eating was difficult (you're on a soft diet anyway) but I could still speak as normal.

I'd say you'll feel a bit out of it for a few days due to the anaesthetic and just general recovery but after that it shouldn't have too much of an impact. You may look a bit battered and bruised for a week or two until the swelling goes down. And if you're going out you'll probably have to think of food options beforehand because you'll be limited as to what you can eat. But generally I can't imagine it will have an impact on your ability to study for exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    I had mine done about 9 years ago (top and bottom broken to correct an overbite). The pain was pretty minimal (they'll give you painkillers on discharge anyways). My jaw was fairly stiff and couldn't open it much so eating was difficult (you're on a soft diet anyway) but I could still speak as normal.

I'd say you'll feel a bit out of it for a few days due to the anaesthetic and just general recovery but after that it shouldn't have too much of an impact. You may look a bit battered and bruised for a week or two until the swelling goes down. And if you're going out you'll probably have to think of food options beforehand because you'll be limited as to what you can eat. But generally I can't imagine it will have an impact on your ability to study for exams.
    Great answer. I think I'm gonna go through with it!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.