Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Car on finance good idea, get another used car or repair old car? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Sorry for the long story but anyways.....

Got my licence and car last year. Spent £1150 on a Fiat Grande Punto 1.2 then a further £300 (excluding service & MOT) but last week it started popping out of 2nd gear and so just jumped from 1st to 3rd while I waited for a used unit to arrive. Now because I was overreving in 1st to gain speed to jump into 3rd my engine began misfiring at low revs and mechanic changed everything from ignition coil , spark plugs .etc to no avail. So all new parts were returned as mechanic just suggested new engine ranging from 75-200 quid plus £200 fitting. Gearbox £150+70 labour

Now is it worth it to get it repaired, get a £500 car and raise money for somthin new or get used car on finance that has warranty just to have peace of mind. However I got a default (cleared last year), plus constant change of address when I move to uni affects my credit history. I work part times @ £190 per week with rent covered by my loan each semester.

Need a run around to get me to work mainly.

Whats your advice?

If you only need a run-around to get to work, I'd go for the middle option of a reliable 'banger' just to get to work. I don't think it's worth getting finance out for a car just to take you to and from work.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, get something known to be cheap and reliable like a Micra or Yaris with a full year's MOT, and start putting money away (if you can) to pick up something nicer once you've graduated uni. Your street cred will have to take a hit until you can afford something better!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.