Turn on thread page Beta

Car on finance good idea, get another used car or repair old car? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Sorry for the long story but anyways.....

Got my licence and car last year. Spent £1150 on a Fiat Grande Punto 1.2 then a further £300 (excluding service & MOT) but last week it started popping out of 2nd gear and so just jumped from 1st to 3rd while I waited for a used unit to arrive. Now because I was overreving in 1st to gain speed to jump into 3rd my engine began misfiring at low revs and mechanic changed everything from ignition coil , spark plugs .etc to no avail. So all new parts were returned as mechanic just suggested new engine ranging from 75-200 quid plus £200 fitting. Gearbox £150+70 labour

Now is it worth it to get it repaired, get a £500 car and raise money for somthin new or get used car on finance that has warranty just to have peace of mind. However I got a default (cleared last year), plus constant change of address when I move to uni affects my credit history. I work part times @ £190 per week with rent covered by my loan each semester.

Need a run around to get me to work mainly.

Whats your advice?

If you only need a run-around to get to work, I'd go for the middle option of a reliable 'banger' just to get to work. I don't think it's worth getting finance out for a car just to take you to and from work.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, get something known to be cheap and reliable like a Micra or Yaris with a full year's MOT, and start putting money away (if you can) to pick up something nicer once you've graduated uni. Your street cred will have to take a hit until you can afford something better!

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.