Turn on thread page Beta

Do I have to pay bills from several months ago? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend of mine who is having a problem with his landlord at the moment. She's a student, and she rented a house that has a "flexible" contract-when she signed on, she has to pay rent at the beginning of every month, and she can leave given one months notice (as in just before he pays for the next month).

However, her landlord for some reason refuses to calculate how much bills must cost, so they had someone in the house do it for them, and then charges them every few months for the gas and electricity.

So she left the house a few months ago, and is being asked to a months worth of bills (his share) from the house from a while back-her last month in the house. She paid all the rent on time, gave the right amount of notice, and I'm not sure but i think she has got her deposit back. I know she ideally should pay the bill, but legally, does she have to? Any help appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Yup you would have to, money is money, the owners or whoever they are will he chasing you up on that. And possibly not paying them can lead to action being taken.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you use the gas/ electric ( whatever the bill is for ) then why not pay for it?

I can however see a point in maybe, on conclusion of a contract to add " in full and final payment for all monies owed" so that the deal is shut down.

The longer that the landlord delays, the longer you should have to pay him back.

This is opinion, not any legal advice but think I am right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuentinM)
    So she left the house a few months ago, and is being asked to a months worth of bills (his share) from the house from a while back-her last month in the house.
    His share? Who's share?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    His share? Who's share?
    ]

Sorry i meant her share

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by domonict)
    If you use the gas/ electric ( whatever the bill is for ) then why not pay for it?

I can however see a point in maybe, on conclusion of a contract to add " in full and final payment for all monies owed" so that the deal is shut down.

The longer that the landlord delays, the longer you should have to pay him back.

This is opinion, not any legal advice but think I am right
    Yeah, she's just a bit annoyed with how the landlord acted during her stay I think. I think she was saying that there isn't technically anything in the contract to say she had to settle any bills before the contract technically terminates, so as far as she is aware she isn't bound by a contract and doesn't have to pay it. Im not sure about that personally but yeah, i dunno.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookies04)
    Yup you would have to, money is money, the owners or whoever they are will he chasing you up on that. And possibly not paying them can lead to action being taken.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, she has pretty much argued that its only around £20 or something like that, who would go to take legal action over a £20 bill?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, she's just a bit annoyed with how the landlord acted during her stay I think.
    What has that got to do with anything? Who's responsibility are the bills? The tenant's or the landlord's?

I think she was saying that there isn't technically anything in the contract to say she had to settle any bills before the contract technically terminates
    Most tenancy agreements wont because the utility bills are in the tenant's names.

so as far as she is aware she isn't bound by a contract and doesn't have to pay it. Im not sure about that personally but yeah, i dunno.
    If she agreed to split the bills while she was there then it is a verbal contract and still binding.

Tell your friend to pay what she owes.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, she has pretty much argued that its only around £20 or something like that, who would go to take legal action over a £20 bill?
    If it's 'only £20' why doesn't she just pay it?

ReputationRep:
    I would if you stole £20 from me.

ReputationRep:
    'Do I have to pay bills from several months ago?'

'his share'

Are you the friend OP? If you are, just pay what you owe!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Yes she has to pay if she incurred it during the time she was there and the liability is hers. What she should have done is put money aside.

ReputationRep:
    she should do the decent thing and pay her share regardless of whether they will take legal action, if she wasn't happy with the set up in the first place she shouldn't have agreed to it

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.