Do you ever read print newspapers?

Watch this thread
Poll: Do you ever read printed newspapers?
Yes (237)
36.35%
Yes (but only the free ones) (218)
33.44%
No (197)
30.21%
shooks
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So The Independent is going to cease publication of its print newspaper, becoming an online-only outlet. And it's expected that this will be the first of many - perhaps all - newspapers calling time on their print editions.

Media types will mourn the passing of the Indy, but how about everyone else? How many of you are still reading printed newspapers?
DiddyDec01
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
I read them in waiting rooms and receptions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Only on a weekens, and even then maybe only every other week.

Their flaws are most noticable when it comes to rapidly developing situations. I got one the morning after the Paris attacks and it was hard to read the paper as it talked about maybe a dozen deaths when the true figure was already known online to be about 10 times higher.
FluffyCherry
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Nope.. I really don't see the point of it if I've got my phone with me where I could access the news online at any time?!
fire2burn
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
No I never read newspapers as the content is already passed its sell by date the moment it hits the shelves, when you open a newspaper its like stepping inside a time machine and being transported back to yesterday for a dose of déjà vu. The articles are inevitably those you read about the day before online, plus as a medium they are inferior when it comes to rapidly developing events.
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I've only ever had two uses for printed news: redecorating walls and drying out shoes. For actual reading material the web is far more convenient.
elen90
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Sometimes over breakfast, yes. They're obviously not ideal for getting the most up-to-date information, but good for hearing viewpoints and ideas.
jamestg
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Yep I read my parents' telegraph each day and read the independent whenever I get it. Sad news about the Independent though, definetly the best newspaper.
TheTechN1304
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I don't go out and buy them, but I read them when/if they're available (i.e. if my parents buy them and have them at home). It's much easier to read news online though.
shawtyb
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
my fav was the sun
acupofgreentea
Badges: 14
Report 6 years ago
Very rarely. I have the Guardian app and read the Morning Star's website for majority of my news reading. I might make it an aim to start buying physical newspapers more.
troubadour.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by acupofgreentea)
I have the Guardian app
Of course you do. :sigh:

(Original post by shawtyb)
my fav was the sun
It depresses me that people actually think of that as news. :lolwut:
shawtyb
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Hydeman)

did i say it was for the news?
Arkasia
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I usually read the 'i' 3 or 4 times a week.
acupofgreentea
Report 6 years ago
To be fair, I'm kind of limited in terms of the news sources I can stand to read. :lol:
acupofgreentea
Report 6 years ago
Wait, what? The Sun is a newspaper? All this time I've been thinking it was some sort of parody magazine, oh my God ... :eek:

The stuff The Sun prints is meant to be news. Who knew?
missytwinpeaks
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Yep

Posted from TSR Mobile
PapersOwl
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I constantly read the printed newspaper when I go to somewhere in the subway
AlwaysWatching
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I read the Sunday papers, and ill occasionally buy a daily broadsheet if something important has happened. The rest of the time, I just read the metro in the bus or news on my phone.

I've never actually read the independent though.
Kyx
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I only read online newspapers, or the Metro.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (67)
65.69%
No (26)
25.49%
I didn't use it to prepare (9)
8.82%

Watched Threads