Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you ever read print newspapers? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you ever read printed newspapers?
    Yes
    36.25%
    Yes (but only the free ones)
    33.49%
    No
    30.26%

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    So The Independent is going to cease publication of its print newspaper, becoming an online-only outlet. And it's expected that this will be the first of many - perhaps all - newspapers calling time on their print editions.

Media types will mourn the passing of the Indy, but how about everyone else? How many of you are still reading printed newspapers?

ReputationRep:
    I read them in waiting rooms and receptions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Only on a weekens, and even then maybe only every other week.

Their flaws are most noticable when it comes to rapidly developing situations. I got one the morning after the Paris attacks and it was hard to read the paper as it talked about maybe a dozen deaths when the true figure was already known online to be about 10 times higher.

ReputationRep:
    Nope.. I really don't see the point of it if I've got my phone with me where I could access the news online at any time?!

ReputationRep:
    No I never read newspapers as the content is already passed its sell by date the moment it hits the shelves, when you open a newspaper its like stepping inside a time machine and being transported back to yesterday for a dose of déjà vu. The articles are inevitably those you read about the day before online, plus as a medium they are inferior when it comes to rapidly developing events.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    I've only ever had two uses for printed news: redecorating walls and drying out shoes. For actual reading material the web is far more convenient.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes over breakfast, yes. They're obviously not ideal for getting the most up-to-date information, but good for hearing viewpoints and ideas.

ReputationRep:
    Yep I read my parents' telegraph each day and read the independent whenever I get it. Sad news about the Independent though, definetly the best newspaper.

ReputationRep:
    I don't go out and buy them, but I read them when/if they're available (i.e. if my parents buy them and have them at home). It's much easier to read news online though.

ReputationRep:
    my fav was the sun

Very rarely. I have the Guardian app and read the Morning Star's website for majority of my news reading. I might make it an aim to start buying physical newspapers more.

(Original post by acupofgreentea)
    I have the Guardian app
    Of course you do. :sigh:

(Original post by shawtyb)
    my fav was the sun
    It depresses me that people actually think of that as news. :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)

did i say it was for the news?

ReputationRep:
    I usually read the 'i' 3 or 4 times a week.

To be fair, I'm kind of limited in terms of the news sources I can stand to read. :lol:

Wait, what? The Sun is a newspaper? All this time I've been thinking it was some sort of parody magazine, oh my God ... :eek:

The stuff The Sun prints is meant to be news. Who knew?

ReputationRep:
    Yep

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I constantly read the printed newspaper when I go to somewhere in the subway

ReputationRep:
    I read the Sunday papers, and ill occasionally buy a daily broadsheet if something important has happened. The rest of the time, I just read the metro in the bus or news on my phone.

I've never actually read the independent though.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    I only read online newspapers, or the Metro.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.