Original post by mil88
Is it just 6^x?

Think of it in exponential form.
Original post by zetamcfc
Think of it in exponential form.

Do you mean e^x?
Original post by mil88
Do you mean e^x?

Yes so how would you write 6^x in the form e^ax ?
Yes so how would you write 6^x in the form e^ax ?

I'm slightly confused.

Both 6 and e are constants and therefore if it's 6 or e, it shouldn't really matter should it? When differentiating e^x, you differentiate the power and then bring the power down, and that's what I was doing for 6^x.
Original post by mil88
I'm slightly confused.

Both 6 and e are constants and therefore if it's 6 or e, it shouldn't really matter should it? When differentiating e^x, you differentiate the power and then bring the power down, and that's what I was doing for 6^x.

Ok, differentiating 6^x =/= 6^x, only e has this property. Which is why you need to get it into that form, e^ax.
Ok, differentiating 6^x =/= 6^x, only e has this property. Which is why you need to get it into that form, e^ax.

Only e has that property? Oh, I never knew that!

Ok so could we do: 6^x = e^ax ------> xln6 = ax (and therefore a= ln6)

So would it be e^(ln6)x?
Original post by mil88
I'm slightly confused.

No. 6x6^x and exe^x are different functions, so they will have different slopes. They are closely related functions though. Note that:

1) since logs and exponentials are inverse functions, we have elogeu=ue^{\log_e u} = u

2) if we put u=6xu=6^x we have:

6x=eloge6x=exloge6=eax6^x = e^{ \log_e 6^x} = e^{x \log_e 6} = e^{ax} with a=loge6a=\log_e 6
Original post by mil88

So would it be e^(ln6)x?

:borat:
Reply 9
Alternatively you could let y=a^x and take natural logs of both sides and differentiate impicitly to show that if y=a^x, dy/dx=(a^x)lna.
So d/dx(6^x) =(6^x)ln6.
Original post by mil88

So would it be e^(ln6)x?

If what you mean is exln6 e^{x\ln{6}} then yes! Now just simplify using the chain rule.
Original post by Louisb19
If what you mean is exln6 e^{x\ln{6}} then yes! Now just simplify using the chain rule.

Yeah thanks I know the differentiating part, I just wasn't sure about the conversion to e form but the other users helped me!
Original post by B_9710
Alternatively you could let y=a^x and take natural logs of both sides and differentiate impicitly to show that if y=a^x, dy/dx=(a^x)lna.
So d/dx(6^x) =(6^x)ln6.

Original post by mil88
Yeah thanks I know the differentiating part, I just wasn't sure about the conversion to e form but the other users helped me!

The idea just incase you were wondering was that

elnf(x)=f(x) e^{\ln{f(x)}} = f(x) so for f(x) = 6^x gives eln6x=exln6 e^{\ln{6^x}} = e^{x\ln{6}}
Isn't the answer just 6^xln(6)?

6^x
d/dx = 6^xln(6)
Original post by atsruser
No. 6x6^x and exe^x are different functions, so they will have different slopes. They are closely related functions though. Note that:

1) since logs and exponentials are inverse functions, we have elogeu=ue^{\log_e u} = u

2) if we put u=6xu=6^x we have:

6x=eloge6x=exloge6=eax6^x = e^{ \log_e 6^x} = e^{x \log_e 6} = e^{ax} with a=loge6a=\log_e 6

Thanks but still dont understand this. What can I do with the info that a = log_e 6? where do I go from there in terms of differentiating
Original post by sunburner
Thanks but still dont understand this. What can I do with the info that a = log_e 6? where do I go from there in terms of differentiating

From there, it's just the chain rule. If y=eaxy=e^{ax} and u=axu=ax then dydx=dydududx=\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{dy}{du} \frac{du}{dx} = \cdots

Quick Reply

Latest