Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello all
    I'm hoping to come into contact with a current med student at Leicester. I've got an unconditional offer to start in 2016 and am really starting to get stuff together.
    Is there a lot of note taking at Leicester? Do you need separate books for each module? Which text books should we get and where are the cheapest places to get them? Do you use many folders?
    Do you have any advice you wish you knew before coming to Leicester?
    Thanks in advance for all your help!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm currently a first year medic at Leicester. As I'm sure you know, they give everyone iPads, so all the note taking is done on these, using PDF files of the lectures and an app called notability.

After every lecture I do personally write up concise notes, but I know plenty of people who take no notes at all and who do very well in the exams. They are all in one folder and I use dividers. You most certainly do not need to buy textbooks. They are all available as PDF files via the library or you can borrow them from the library. The recommended anatomy book is Moore Clinically Oriented Anatomy, but you don't do any of that until second semester.

If there's one piece of advice I could give, it would be to not get behind with learning the content. I mean obviously don't work yourself to the bone during freshers, but at the same time don't keep thinking 'oh I can just do this at Christmas'. However, you clearly don't need this advice if you're already thinking about stationery for a course you're starting in nearly 8 months time. Enjoy this year of freedom!

ReputationRep:
    Don't get any textbooks yet - what one person might find interesting and readable might be completely rubbish to another. Go to the library and see what you like.

In terms of stationery, a black biro is really all you need. You can bring along your set square and protractor though if you're really keen

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much, both of you! That's really helpful! Yes, I'm one to make my own notes and have a million sheets of multicoloured paper so I think I'll just buy one massive folder then. Thanks again!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Democracy)
    In terms of stationery, a black biro is really all you need. You can bring along your set square and protractor though if you're really keen
    Black biro granted, but these bad boys are where it's at:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessedeparis)
    Hello all
    I'm hoping to come into contact with a current med student at Leicester. I've got an unconditional offer to start in 2016 and am really starting to get stuff together.
    Is there a lot of note taking at Leicester? Do you need separate books for each module? Which text books should we get and where are the cheapest places to get them? Do you use many folders?
    Do you have any advice you wish you knew before coming to Leicester?
    Thanks in advance for all your help!!!
    Worrying about this already, dayum! They just get keener every year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Black biro granted, but these bad boys are where it's at:
    Owning one of those is basically pathognomonic of being a keeno :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I love this enthusiasm but second Democracy's comment about books. You can probably get through the pre-clinical phase without any books at all and some students get distracted by trying to learn from books when everything they need has already been distilled into the lecture and group work materials. The risk is that you start reading about interesting (often clinical) things instead of studying the biochemistry that will appear in the examinations. That said, however hard you try, you will almost certainly be suckered into buying some nice big textbooks with which to decorate your shelves. Wait until you arrive, though, so you can at least maximise your chances of reading past the first few pages.

Black biros are a must but, once you get into the clinical phase, you will be rewarded with an endless supply of free biros stolen from the nurses' station.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.