Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's the best note taking technique? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I haven't got a technique,I just write everything down word by word. Therefore , i'm considering listening more, using abbreviations, and Cornell method & maybe mindmaps

ReputationRep:
    Look at what is emphasised by the speaker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hxfsxh)
    Look at what is emphasised by the speaker.
    I meant note taking techniques

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonbabes)
    I meant note taking techniques
    Oh, I just write down everything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hxfsxh)
    Oh, I just write down everything
    So do I, but that's not effective especially if you reflect back and have to revise or use notes for an assignment

Write down anything you know you won't remember. It's usually easier if you know what you need the notes for so you know what's important and what's not.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    I haven't got a technique,I just write everything down word by word. Therefore , i'm considering listening more, using abbreviations, and Cornell method & maybe mindmaps
    That's the problem. You should try note-making rather than note-taking.

Note-taking is when you copy notes word for word. This is not bad, but should only be the first step.

Note-making is when you re-write these notes, or put them in a different format, such as a mindmap.

You have to pick something that works for you. But it has to be in your own words, and read regularly. Sometimes , writing your own questions (about stuff you don't understand) and researching the answers can help a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyx)
    That's the problem. You should try note-making rather than note-taking.

Note-taking is when you copy notes word for word. This is not bad, but should only be the first step.

Note-making is when you re-write these notes, or put them in a different format, such as a mindmap.

You have to pick something that works for you. But it has to be in your own words, and read regularly. Sometimes , writing your own questions (about stuff you don't understand) and researching the answers can help a lot.

Oops didn't know what I meant is note making lol. What technique do u use?

ReputationRep:
    Scribble furiously when you think the lecturer is saying something relevant and pray that you'll be able to read your own writing next time you look at it, which tends to be the day before the exam. It is a technique that has served me well.

ReputationRep:
    Oops didn't know what I meant is note making lol. What technique do u use?
    I just rewrite the whole textbook in my own words

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    Scribble furiously when you think the lecturer is saying something relevant and pray that you'll be able to read your own writing next time you look at it, which tends to be the day before the exam. It is a technique that has served me well.
    Do u think it's a joke?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyx)
    I just rewrite the whole textbook in my own words
    Oh ok:/ Do you use 1 notebook or separate notebooks?

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok:/ Do you use 1 notebook or separate notebooks?
    I don't use notebooks, I just use lined paper

Sometimes I rewrite the same textbook several times

ReputationRep:
    Listen then write down anything important with concise notes.

Just make sure when you re-read it over it's all organised & you can understand the main points.

ReputationRep:
    Do u think it's a joke?
    Not at all,although I was being a bit flippant. Sometimes I think it is far better to stop worrying and learn to love what you consider to be a bit of a chaotic and shambolic approach to things rather than getting anxious over the optimum method.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyx)
    I don't use notebooks, I just use lined paper

Hmm

Sometimes I rewrite the same textbook several times
    Rewriting is time consuming , but beneficial

(Original post by Cremated_Spatula)
    Listen then write down anything important with concise notes.

Just make sure when you re-read it over it's all organised & you can understand the main points.
    This sounds bad, but I tend to forget what the teacher said

(Original post by Quantex)
    Not at all,although I was being a bit flippant. Sometimes I think it is far better to stop worrying and learn to love what you consider to be a bit of a chaotic and shambolic approach to things rather than getting anxious over the optimum method.
    Lol. Don't agree

ReputationRep:
    Rewriting can be fun

ReputationRep:
    I do rough notes where i write everything i hear (just about), then either straight after/on the same day or at some point during the week ill type it up so its neat and add anything extra from textbook, i guess its not the best technique - its whichever one your best at doing, and can remember the most from

ReputationRep:
    Rewriting is time consuming , but beneficial

This sounds bad, but I tend to forget what the teacher said

Lol. Don't agree
    In one ear, out the other?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    At History GCSE, we were told to abreviate some words. So, Ger. was Germany, GB was Great Britain, Fra. was France, etc.

You don't need to write absolutely everything down.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.