The Student Room Group

Fry is off Twitter

So now Stephen Fry has left Twitter (or so it would appear), what are his trillions of interweb tweet-thingy fans going to do with themselves??
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/feb/15/stephen-fry-deletes-twitter-account-after-baftas-bag-lady-offence

Was he right to go?

Is it a storm in a teacup?

Should leading celebrities feel free to address women publicly as 'bag ladies' and then go into attack, rather than apology mode?

Is Fry now damaged goods?

You decide.

Scroll to see replies

Shortly after the ceremony finished Fry responded to his critics saying: "So just a word to the tragic figures who think calling Jenny Bevan a bag lady was an insult. She's a dear friend and she got it. Derrr."
Another tweet said: "Will all you sanctimonious f***ers f*** the f*** off Jenny Beavan is a friend and joshing is legitimate. Christ I want to leave the planet."
He later posted a photo of himself posing with Beavan, captioned: "Jenny Baglady Beavan and Stephen Outrageous Misogynist Swine Fry at the #EEBAFTAs after party."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/12157533/Stephen-Fry-quits-Twitter-following-uproar-over-bag-lady-jibe.html
Reply 2
Fry is off the Twitter?
Good, one **** fewer to worry about.
Reply 3
If she was a friend of Fry's and it was all just friendly banter like he says, then I don't understand what the problem is? What harm has been done? Why pressure him into leaving Twitter?

With all due respect, he's got every right to leave Twitter at the cost of millions of fans/followers, if people can't take a ****ing joke on there. People have tweeted a lot worse things on Twitter, so get off your high horses.
Original post by lustawny
If she was a friend of Fry's and it was all just friendly banter like he says, then I don't understand what the problem is? What harm has been done? Why pressure him into leaving Twitter?

With all due respect, he's got every right to leave Twitter at the cost of millions of fans/followers, if people can't take a ****ing joke on there. People have tweeted a lot worse things on Twitter, so get off your high horses.

Well, he's got the right, like anyone, but it must be saddening for all the huge number of people who follow him regularly.

It sounds like he's got himself in quite a state over this one - he'd have been better ignoring the flak probably.
Original post by carlskep
Shortly after the ceremony finished Fry responded to his critics saying: "So just a word to the tragic figures who think calling Jenny Bevan a bag lady was an insult. She's a dear friend and she got it. Derrr."
Another tweet said: "Will all you sanctimonious f***ers f*** the f*** off Jenny Beavan is a friend and joshing is legitimate. Christ I want to leave the planet."
He later posted a photo of himself posing with Beavan, captioned: "Jenny Baglady Beavan and Stephen Outrageous Misogynist Swine Fry at the #EEBAFTAs after party."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/12157533/Stephen-Fry-quits-Twitter-following-uproar-over-bag-lady-jibe.html

Methinks he doth protest too much.

Clearly something going on here, he has been publicly embarrassed by something he probably regrets having said.
Who cares?
Reply 7
I think everyone complaining needs to get a grip, it was a joke, and if she was his friend and took it light-heartedly I honestly do not see the problem and once again people are just overreacting.

Deleting his Twitter was a bit childish but it's honestly his decision.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
So now Stephen Fry has left Twitter (or so it would appear), what are his trillions of interweb tweet-thingy fans going to do with themselves??
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/feb/15/stephen-fry-deletes-twitter-account-after-baftas-bag-lady-offence

Was he right to go?

Should leading celebrities feel free to address women publicly as 'bag ladies' and then go into attack, rather than apology mode?

You decide.

LICGAS
Picture in your mind the type of person who would get offended by what Fry said to the point of complaining. How much of a sad case do you have to be? Why does Fry care about the opinions of the sort of person who clearly has no life?
Methinks he doth protest too much.

Clearly something going on here, he has been publicly embarrassed by something he probably regrets having said.

No that is not clear at all. By his account, he got fed up with people moaning over a harmless joke about his friend. There is nothing to suggest otherwise.
Original post by KimKallstrom
Picture in your mind the type of person who would get offended by what Fry said to the point of complaining. How much of a sad case do you have to be? Why does Fry care about the opinions of the sort of person who clearly has no life?

It's puzzling that he does. He seems to take it all way too seriously frankly.
I find it weird that more backlash didn't come from his Eddie Redmayne intro tbh

"Fry was also criticised on Twitter for his Eddie Redmayne introduction: “He has been a man trapped in his own body, a woman trapped in a man’s body and, if I had my way, a man trapped in my basement.”"

Like, what? Imagine if a heterosexual male presenter had said that about a young female actress!

(Not homophobic, I'm gay myself, I just found that unreasonably creepy).
Reply 13

Was he right to go?

You decide.

I'm sure he'll be back after his latest hissy fit. He's a very self-important man that craves round the clock attention.
Original post by Pseudo-truth
I find it weird that more backlash didn't come from his Eddie Redmayne intro tbh

"Fry was also criticised on Twitter for his Eddie Redmayne introduction: “He has been a man trapped in his own body, a woman trapped in a man’s body and, if I had my way, a man trapped in my basement.”"

Like, what? Imagine if a heterosexual male presenter had said that about a young female actress!

(Not homophobic, I'm gay myself, I just found that unreasonably creepy).

It's not a wise thing to say either given the current multiple police investigations into the private lives of celebrities.
It's puzzling that he does. He seems to take it all way too seriously frankly.

It's worth remembering his history with mental health issues at this point.
Original post by Drewski
It's worth remembering his history with mental health issues at this point.

If that's a factor, it may not be wise for him to engage in so much public activity at all.
Haha you provincial *****, everyone here at the Chiltern Firehouse knows that Stephen and Jenny Beavan simply adore one another and always have done!
It's OK to insult a man, but not OK to insult a woman (even as a joke). The global media message is clear.

(I don't really like Fry very much, but I hate these self-righteous Twitter mobs more...)
It's not even a big deal, he's being dramatic.

Nevertheless he's off, so he's off.

Bubye. :flybye:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending