Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Calais Refugee Chaos is Deliberate French Government Policy Watch

ReputationRep:
    It is interesting that the 3000 Calaisiens who marched in Calais at the end of last month were demanding that the encampment be upgraded to proper humanitarian conditions. Almost all other camps in France have static caravans and full facilities but the Calais camp has been allowed to fester. One Calaisien pointed out that this discrepancy was to get the English to discuss the migration problem.
    http://www.lavoixdunord.fr/region/pr...b48581n3330073

(As a result of the demo the French government has now agreed to install humanitarian facilities and is upgrading the Calais camp with static caravans etc ).

So, the French government has allowed a festering encampment as a little play, a drama for the UK media. A ruthless act that has killed some migrants and resulted in the economic destruction of Calais. Hmmm.. What do you think of that? What do you think of UK journalists who, knowing the French ploy, played along because it made an exciting story?

ReputationRep:
    Interesting theory.. :erm:

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Interesting theory.. :erm:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    New accommodation in Calais:
    Name:  newcamp.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  114.5 KB

You didn't link to the French articles that show the parts of the camp that are not being bulldozed are being upgraded to quality accommodation.
    http://www.lavoixdunord.fr/region/ca...ia33b0n3262309
    The UK press is full of spin and little truth.

So the OP is not a theory, the march was successful, probably partly because the French government realise that "the poor little refugee" story has run its course in the UK media.

What do you think of UK journalists who, knowing the French ploy, played along because it made an exciting story?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newpersonage)
    parts of the camp that are not being bulldozed are being upgraded to quality accommodation
    That's not problematic in itself e.g. if it becomes a legit refugee processing centre. Will wait and see what happens next

What do you think of UK journalists who, knowing the French ploy, played along because it made an exciting story?
    Never underestimate the will of the mainstream media to pull on the 'one world' heartstrings of sheeple. I don't believe it was as state orchestrated as you're implying, on the French side, although I'm aware that Mi5 holds a degree of sway e.g. in the BBC

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    That's not problematic in itself e.g. if it becomes a legit refugee processing centre. Will wait and see what happens next
    I have no problem with that either.

Never underestimate the will of the mainstream media to pull on the 'one world' heartstrings of sheeple. I don't believe it was as state orchestrated as you're implying, on the French side, although I'm aware that Mi5 holds a degree of sway e.g. in the BBC
    I see it more as the French creating a great story as bait and just waiting for the press to bite. The story has run and run, even though it only hardened opinions and did not create any real change in the UK. The creepy journalists just rubbed their hands with glee at the free story and did not give a damn about whether it was created specially for them.

Governments are helped by the rise of post-structuralist journalism - poor little refugee vs evil UK government / evil ISIS vs innocent UK moslems / austerity vs heartless government etc. etc. Create any apparent moral highground versus apparent evil and the media will ask no questions.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.