Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSRian geeks! are u smarter than a British 13 year old? Watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I attempted all of them but am only confident with 7 of them. I left school at 15 having done very little maths for years even at that point so I'm calling this a victory :lol:
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Thanks to @Zacken the answers are
    Spoiler:
    Show
    10/11
    D
    1/13
    9/10 I think. I got number 9 wrong. How would I go about working it out correctly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    9/10 I think. I got number 9 wrong. How would I go about working it out correctly?
    For 9, the speed of the escalator and her walking speed are additive. Using the info provided, you can work out her walking speed alone and the speed of the escalator alone (i.e. when she is not moving). Then you can add the two together to get the total speed walking + escalator and hence work out the time taken.

To do this, you might want to take an arbitrary length of the escalator (perhaps one which divides easily with the numbers)
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    For 9, the speed of the escalator and her walking speed are additive. Using the info provided, you can work out her walking speed alone and the speed of the escalator alone (i.e. when she is not moving). Then you can add the two together to get the total speed walking + escalator and hence work out the time taken.

To do this, you might want to take an arbitrary length of the escalator (perhaps one which divides easily with the numbers)
    I see, thanks. I think I tried to do something similar to that but messed it up :facepalm:

If I had looked at it for a few minutes I may have got there.

At least I got the others :lol:

I'm only slightly worse at maths than 13 year olds :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I see, thanks. I think I tried to do something similar to that but messed it up :facepalm:

If I had looked at it for a few minutes I may have got there.

At least I got the others :lol:

I'm only slightly worse at maths than 13 year olds :lol:
    Well done!

Trust me, you are way smarter than 13 year olds Most wouldn't get near all of these

ReputationRep:
    that was easy except q6 which was a dumb question and idk what it meant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandvika)
    that was easy except q6 which was a dumb question and idk what it meant
    It wasn't dumb at all and it was quite frankly was one of the most interesting problem on that paper. It uses a very cool concept.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Well done!

Trust me, you are way smarter than 13 year olds Most wouldn't get near all of these
    Good to know :lol:

Is the natural progression usually JMC > SMC > BMO > IMO?

I think I remember doing tests somewhat like this in primary school many years ago and getting the highest score in my school but I have no idea if it was just something my school had us sit for fun :dontknow:

It was probably just an arithmetic test that my memory has decided was something else :lol: :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    Good to know :lol:

Is the natural progression usually JMC > SMC > BMO > IMO?

I think I remember doing tests somewhat like this in primary school many years ago and getting the highest score in my school but I have no idea if it was just something my school had us sit for fun :dontknow:

It was probably just an arithmetic test that my memory has decided was something else :lol: :facepalm2:
    Progression is usually JMC > IMC (this) > SMC

JMC/IMC have their own progression olympiad rounds. But senior goes

SMC > BMO1 > BMO2 > Trinity Camp > IMO team (Zacken pls confirm)
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    It wasn't dumb at all and it was quite frankly was one of the most interesting problem on that paper. It uses a very cool concept.
    I brute forced it :facepalm2:
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Progression is usually JMC > IMC (this) > SMC

JMC/IMC have their own progression olympiad rounds. But senior goes

Daniel Lightwing has a TSR account so we could ask him

ReputationRep:
    AFAIK, yeah, that's entirely correct. But I'm not exactly an expert. I've never been in a maths competition before!

I brute forced it :facepalm2:
    Look at the prime factorisation of 24 = 2^3 \times 3, that should make the answer very clear. Especially the 2^3 part.

ReputationRep:
    Daniel Lightwing has a TSR account so we could ask him
    Really? :O Wonder if he uses it
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    AFAIK, yeah, that's entirely correct. But I'm not exactly an expert. I've never been in a maths competition before!

Look at the prime factorisation of 24 = 2^3 \times 3, that should make the answer very clear. Especially the 2^3 part.
    I believe I understand now, but when I answered it I didn't so I just did the calculations.

Really? :O Wonder if he uses it
    I don't think he does, I certainly haven't seen him post for a number of years.

ReputationRep:
    I remember doing these at school.

ReputationRep:
    Did we get the same q6? I got How many of the above positive integers are divisible by 24? Did it mean products or was it a nonsense question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandvika)
    Did we get the same q6? I got How many of the above positive integers are divisible by 24? Did it mean products or was it a nonsense question?
    They are positive integers in the form of products of prime factors.

ReputationRep:
    So, for Q6: you know that 24 = 2 \times 2 \times 2 \times 3 = 2^3 \times 3, does that help in anyway?

That is, you need the number to have 2^3 \times 3 as part of it's prime factorisation, how many numbers in the list has that?
    None of them? :eek3: Or number 4 because it has 2^3 \times 3 plus some extra?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    None of them? :eek3: Or number 4 because it has 2^3 \times 3 plus some extra?
    number 4 Because remember it can be divisible so long as the quotient is whole (which in that case it is)

ReputationRep:
    number 4 Because remember it can be divisible so long as the quotient is whole (which in that case it is)
    How do you know this? :holmes: Is that just a rule you have to know?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.