Thank you! I now understand.
    Best feeling ever! This is why I love maths. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    *lightbulb moment*

Thank you! I now understand.
    Wonderful! I'm really happy you made an effort to understand

(Original post by Zacken)
    The set of positive integers is closed under multiplication.
    PRSOM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    PRSOM
    It's really annoying when people call a question dumb just because they didn't understand/couldn't do it, isn't it? :lol:

ReputationRep:
    It's really annoying when people call a question dumb just because they didn't understand/couldn't do it, isn't it? :lol:
    Agree! I'm sure Puddles thinks the theory behind it is pretty neat - clearly not dumb if you just take the time to understand it!

ITT: Zacken and Spoder teach puddles maths

Original purpose of TSR being fulfilled :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Best feeling ever! This is why I love maths. :woo:
    Wonderful! I'm really happy you made an effort to understand
    It's the concept of "equals" that still gets me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrawbAri)

I tried learning maths properly last year, it was good! But I got stuck at a point where I couldn't find enough practice questions with answers to cement ideas in my head

ReputationRep:
    It's the concept of "equals" that still gets me.
    Sorry?
    I tried learning maths properly last year, it was good! But I got stuck at a point where I couldn't find enough practice questions with answers to cement ideas in my head
    *gasp* You must head over to the maths forum Zacken and TeeEm are brilliant at finding questions for your every need!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrawbAri)

Brilliant! :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    There are plenty of those! If you ever need a hand with finding resources or such, pop over in the maths forum and we'll show you the pot o' godl. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    *gasp* You must head over to the maths forum Zacken and TeeEm are brilliant at finding questions for your every need!
    ...faaaaaaaam. Get off mah wavelength (\lambda).

ReputationRep:
    Because obviously if you're not particularly strong at maths, then you're stupid.

And if you do well on maths tests but can't for the life of you work out how to tie your shoelaces, then you're obviously a genius.

ReputationRep:
    4/10. Well I haven't touched any of my maths stuff for almost 2 years and I don't even know what an integer is... :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XMaramena)
    Because obviously if you're not particularly strong at maths, then you're stupid.

And if you do well on maths tests but can't for the life of you work out how to tie your shoelaces, then you're obviously a genius.
    It's a very misleading title, I agree. But I like to think a lot of UKMT is more problem-solving based than normal GCSE stuff

ReputationRep:
    ...faaaaaaaam. Get off mah wavelength (\lambda).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HazMusicPanda)
    4/10. Well I haven't touched any of my maths stuff for almost 2 years and I don't even know what an integer is... :P
    The set of integers is denoted by \mathbb{Z} = \left\{\ldots, -3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3, \ldots \right\} - it's basically all the negative and positive whole numbers.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry?
    Equals means IS. 4 x 4 *is* 16, just written in a different way :yep: Right? It took a long, long time for that penny to drop. Meaning I was stuck in a semantic nightmare for a lot of my maths education in school.

There are plenty of those! If you ever need a hand with finding resources or such, pop over in the maths forum and we'll show you the pot o' godl. :yep:
    No, I mean like I just wanted to do hundreds and hundreds of expanding brackets and simultaneous equations and things to properly get it in my head. :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    Equals means IS. 4 x 4 *is* 16, just written in a different way :yep: Right? It took a long, long time for that penny to drop. Meaning I was stuck in a semantic nightmare for a lot of my maths education in school.

No, I mean like I just wanted to do hundreds and hundreds of expanding brackets and simultaneous equations and things to properly get it in my head. :teehee:
    Yep, blah = nonsense. Means that blah and nonsense are the exact same thing, just written differently. That semantic nightmare sounds horrid. :eek:

Re your last point, have you tried looking at Wolfram's problem generator? Seems like the kind of thing they'd provide. If not, we once had DFranklin write up a program that outputted twenty thousand different simultaneous equations questions (the things degrees of freedom can do for you, eh?) and we could do something for you. :teehee:

At least you're giving it a go again! most people just give up forever.
    There are lots of helpful mathemagicians on here that can help with all your maths related needs :yep:

ReputationRep:

Oh I gotcha! I hope it's alright now though

Fair enough! Perhaps think about taking some online courses in topics you'd like to learn more about?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.