Having a job during A level? Good idea or Bad Idea? Watch

WolfTy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Yeah so basically I'm thinking about getting a job as soon as I turn 16 in a couple of months and I want to carry it on when I start my a levels in september. My dad says its a good idea but my mum not so much she thinks it will be a distraction but he thinks it will teach me independence so what should I do?

Please feel free to share personal experiences and how having a job has affected you at a levels
jojo10834
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don’t have a job but I know last year during year 12 my friend who had two jobs a couple of days before his first exam just had a complete breakdown from the stress of A-Levels and his jobs. However I would say if you can balance your job correctly with your A-Level work then you should be ok
WolfTy
Rep:
?
(Original post by jojo10834)
I don’t have a job but I know last year during year 12 my friend who had two jobs a couple of days before his first exam just had a complete breakdown from the stress of A-Levels and his jobs. However I would say if you can balance your job correctly with your A-Level work then you should be ok
Thank you. Do you ever feel you'd like to have a job to support yourself or are your parents fine with giving you money?
LC1996
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I had a job all throughout my A levels and I CANNOT stand people saying 'it distracts you'. There's more to life than A levels and exams and getting a job teaches you so many life skills that employers favour much more than some exam results. Obviously I'm not saying sacrifice your a levels for a job, just learn to balance it. I got AABB in my A2's whilst working all weekend every weekend. Work gave me a well needed break from revision and something else to focus on. Without that mental break, your mind will just combust.

We have lots of CV's sent into my job of people with fantastic grades but have never worked before. They go straight in the bin because it tells us nothing about that candidates time management, punctuality, people skills etc. Don't be that guy who says I don't have a job because "I do A levels".
jojo10834
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TyanaChu)
Thank you. Do you ever feel you'd like to have a job to support yourself or are your parents fine with giving you money?
I would like to have a job to support myself, and have been trying for about a year and a half to get a job but I either didn’t enjoy where I was working and felt uncomfortable or was unsuccessful in getting a job.

Although this is annoying the plus side is that you do get more time to focus on college work and have a life outside of working (because trust me A-Levels will take up a lot of your time depending on what you’re taking).
The Genghis Khan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
if you look at mock results and wh0 has a job there is a clear correlation, the ones who have jobs did crap
WolfTy
Rep:
?
(Original post by The Genghis Khan)
if you look at mock results and wh0 has a job there is a clear correlation, the ones who have jobs did crap
yeah thats what scares me I don't wanna get ABBB when I could've gotten A*AAA if that makes sense.
Reshelz98
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As long as the hours aren't too bad and you know you can get all your other work done in time.. its a great idea.. its like practise for uni life kinda...also it means parents wont complain about giving you too much money to spend on 'uneccessary' things as they say
Pseudo-truth
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It really depends on how many shifts and how many hours you do, tbh.

Like, 8 hours a week probably isn't going to hurt. I work 12 hours a week to support my degree and I find that it doesn't affect me much, if anything I start doing coursework, etc, earlier so it's actually helped me in that sense.

Similarly, my brother worked a part time job during his A2 year and he ended up getting A*AB, so as long as you're sensible and put work into your studies, you'll be okay.
WolfTy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reshelz98)
As long as the hours aren't too bad and you know you can get all your other work done in time.. its a great idea.. its like practise for uni life kinda...also it means parents wont complain about giving you too much money to spend on 'uneccessary' things as they say
I know and thats good but do you think it will impact my grades because as a oxbridge hopeful its essential I get top grades.
Nadile
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As long as you don't take a job that has too many hours it should be fine. You could take some time off for exams etc anyway. I'm assuming you're not crazy enough to take 5 A levels though.

I didn't have a job myself during A levels, but I know that with the amount of free time I had during the week with only 4-3 subjects, a weekend job would have been fine. You'd just need to make sure you organise your time well from the start. Keep on top of your school work because with a job you won't have the time at the last minute.
Alice__90
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I got a job as soon as I turned 16 and I will expect my son to do the same. I think it's important to learn life skills and to manage your own money without expecting it all from parents. You don't have to work all weekend every weekend, I only did 5 hours on Sundays and I loved it.
WolfTy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pseudo-truth)
It really depends on how many shifts and how many hours you do, tbh.

Like, 8 hours a week probably isn't going to hurt. I work 12 hours a week to support my degree and I find that it doesn't affect me much, if anything I start doing coursework, etc, earlier so it's actually helped me in that sense.

Similarly, my brother worked a part time job during his A2 year and he ended up getting A*AB, so as long as you're sensible and put work into your studies, you'll be okay.
Do you think had he not had a job he would have been able to get straight A*
Pseudo-truth
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do you think had he not had a job he would have been able to get straight A*
I don't think so, tbh he was the kinda guy who studied for 2-3 hours every night anyway so I think the job was eating more into his social/ free time than anything.

Then again, who knows what would have happened? He might have gotten that B to an A.
Alexion
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Good idea - though I'm leaving mine in a couple weeks to concentrate on the work. Good during the year, but quit it for the exam season and time before
Reshelz98
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I know and thats good but do you think it will impact my grades because as a oxbridge hopeful its essential I get top grades.
Well I think that if you are an Oxbridge hopeful.. then obviously you have the skill to balance ur time well between studies and extra curricular.. and I'm sure you can manage a job so long as its not taking up too much of ur time ..
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by LC1996)
I had a job all throughout my A levels and I CANNOT stand people saying 'it distracts you'. There's more to life than A levels and exams and getting a job teaches you so many life skills that employers favour much more than some exam results. Obviously I'm not saying sacrifice your a levels for a job, just learn to balance it. I got AABB in my A2's whilst working all weekend every weekend. Work gave me a well needed break from revision and something else to focus on. Without that mental break, your mind will just combust.

We have lots of CV's sent into my job of people with fantastic grades but have never worked before. They go straight in the bin because it tells us nothing about that candidates time management, punctuality, people skills etc. Don't be that guy who says I don't have a job because "I do A levels".
I totally agree.
If you get a job that doesnt have too many hours then you should be fine. And depending on where you work, quite a few places are flexible and let you do less hours around exam time anyway.
yotsr123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Alice__90)
I got a job as soon as I turned 16 and I will expect my son to do the same. I think it's important to learn life skills and to manage your own money without expecting it all from parents. You don't have to work all weekend every weekend, I only did 5 hours on Sundays and I loved it.
Hi,
I know this is 2 years old but what job was this??
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (360)
59.11%
Yes- I don't like it (33)
5.42%