Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    just to give you some background information about me
    I took triple science 2 English and maths. my 4 options were history, sociology, Spanish and drama. I got all a* exept for maths in which i got an a.
    i really hate maths and do NOT want to do it for as or a level. i want to go on to a top university like cambridge etc. to do a law degree. ive seen a few other threads saying maths and physics and languages are good but i dont want to do an of these so if u could give me some suggestions that dont include these 3 subjects it would really help.
    thankyouuuu na dsorry if this is long
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by helenaglasgow)
    I took triple science 2 English and maths. my 4 options were history, sociology, Spanish and drama. I got all a* exept for maths in which i got an a.
    i really hate maths and do NOT want to do it for as or a level. i want to go on to a top university like cambridge etc. to do a law degree. ive seen a few other threads saying maths and physics and languages are good but i dont want to do an of these so if u could give me some suggestions that dont include these 3 subjects it would really help.
    Ignoring maths and languages then History, English and something you find really easy would be the traditional choices.
    http://university.which.co.uk/univer...000-m100-58922
    http://university.which.co.uk/univer...000-m100-13224
    Scroll down - you can see the top A level subjects for each course.

ReputationRep:
    Any 'generally preferred' subjects. Humanities are great but not essential, taking a language will give you the upper hand, but you're looking at needing A*AA for top universities such as LSE, UCL, Cambridge, Oxford, King's, Nottingham and Bristol.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, just do what you find interesting and what will get you a good grade. Apart from LSE, most of the top unis are pretty lenient on the choices you've made for A Level. So pick three you think you can get an A in and you'll be fine - I'm doing law at uni now, and I know a lot of people who did subjects that you wouldn't necessarily relate to law but still got in just fine!

ReputationRep:
    I always feel like History would be a good option for Law/Policing for the level of analysis you need to go into. That ability to look at events, using the evidence available, to give a coherent argument for what you believe took place and why. I believe it would be great practice for a law degree.

I would also suggest, similar to that of Wrf95, for you to pick within the means of something you enjoy and feel you can achieve well.

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    English Literature and History are well regarded by admissions tutors, and are traditional facilitating subjects which Oxford and Cambridge will like. Sciences and a language will also look good.

I did English Literature, History and Law at A level and did a History topic for the Extended Project. I'm doing Law at Manchester (Russell Group) in September. Whenever I rang up admissions tutors they said they looked at English Literature and History very favourably. Just make sure you do traditional academic subjects.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.