Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I would just like to ask any students who are currently studying or have studied Neuroscience at Kings College London, could you please share your experience? I would love to hear about what you think of their teaching methods, any challenges faced and how you dealt with them and the intensity of the course!
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueangel328)
    I would just like to ask any students who are currently studying or have studied Neuroscience at Kings College London, could you please share your experience? I would love to hear about what you think of their teaching methods, any challenges faced and how you dealt with them and the intensity of the course!
    As you've not received a response I have moved your thread to the KCL forum where hopefully somebody can/will help you.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a Neuroscience student exactly, I do Biomedical Science, but because I get completely flexible module choices in Years 2 and 3 I have only chosen Neuroscience modules the past 2 years and I love them! Your first year will be called a common year one (CYO) and you will do the same modules as those studying biomed, biochem, anatomy etc. This can be annoying because in my first year there really wasn't much neuroscience but I think they're changing that slightly now. My favourite part of second year was the neuroanatomy practicals with the human brains, they are so helpful and interesting. The neuroscience modules in second year generally were well organised and the lectures were very interesting too. In third year there are a lot of journal clubs, debates and presentations (compared to second year, which has no journal clubs) and you also get the chance to do a laboratory project, which can be worth the bulk of your final year credits! (45 credits out of 120). At the moment I'm doing a neuroimaging project at the Institute of Psychiatry and it's slightly out of my comfort zone but I'm still glad I took it. The course was very intense for me at times, I think out of everyone I knew I have always had the most coursework deadlines, but you just have to be really well organised and find that sometimes a week is more than enough time to complete a presentation and practice for it lol! Despite this though I've never had a problem with completing coursework and getting good grades for it, like I said it really is down to the person. The lecturers (bar two or three) are great, because they often have first hand research experience with what they're teaching you and that can be quite interesting! With Neuroscience you have to take some compulsory modules in years 2 and 3 I believe, and some neuroscience students I spoke to didn't enjoy all of these, which is why I'm glad I have complete flexibility to avoid them lol! But overall I would recommend it without a doubt (bear in mind I'm biased because I'm only interested in Neuroscience lol) hope that helps!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dani.california)
    I'm not a Neuroscience student exactly, I do Biomedical Science, but because I get completely flexible module choices in Years 2 and 3 I have only chosen Neuroscience modules the past 2 years and I love them! Your first year will be called a common year one (CYO) and you will do the same modules as those studying biomed, biochem, anatomy etc. This can be annoying because in my first year there really wasn't much neuroscience but I think they're changing that slightly now. My favourite part of second year was the neuroanatomy practicals with the human brains, they are so helpful and interesting. The neuroscience modules in second year generally were well organised and the lectures were very interesting too. In third year there are a lot of journal clubs, debates and presentations (compared to second year, which has no journal clubs) and you also get the chance to do a laboratory project, which can be worth the bulk of your final year credits! (45 credits out of 120). At the moment I'm doing a neuroimaging project at the Institute of Psychiatry and it's slightly out of my comfort zone but I'm still glad I took it. The course was very intense for me at times, I think out of everyone I knew I have always had the most coursework deadlines, but you just have to be really well organised and find that sometimes a week is more than enough time to complete a presentation and practice for it lol! Despite this though I've never had a problem with completing coursework and getting good grades for it, like I said it really is down to the person. The lecturers (bar two or three) are great, because they often have first hand research experience with what they're teaching you and that can be quite interesting! With Neuroscience you have to take some compulsory modules in years 2 and 3 I believe, and some neuroscience students I spoke to didn't enjoy all of these, which is why I'm glad I have complete flexibility to avoid them lol! But overall I would recommend it without a doubt (bear in mind I'm biased because I'm only interested in Neuroscience lol) hope that helps!!
    Hi Dani,
    Thank you so much for giving me such a good insight into the course. It's very encouraging to hear all of these positive aspects of the course as well as the University. If you don't mind me asking, what do you plan to do after completion of your Bsc?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Dani,
    Thank you so much for giving me such a good insight into the course. It's very encouraging to hear all of these positive aspects of the course as well as the University. If you don't mind me asking, what do you plan to do after completion of your Bsc?
    I'm probably the wrong person to ask that but I'm going to get into teaching! Already applied for a PGCE, but then again I've pretty much always known it was something I could see myself doing and wanted to do. Other people I know at the moment are applying for Masters, PhD's, and graduate schemes in science. The University helps a lot in terms of options available to you in further study, where I am at the moment for my placement they've really encouraged me to apply for further study as well but I know it's not something I can see myself doing at this moment in time. Do you have any idea about what you want to do after?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dani.california)
    I'm probably the wrong person to ask that but I'm going to get into teaching! Already applied for a PGCE, but then again I've pretty much always known it was something I could see myself doing and wanted to do. Other people I know at the moment are applying for Masters, PhD's, and graduate schemes in science. The University helps a lot in terms of options available to you in further study, where I am at the moment for my placement they've really encouraged me to apply for further study as well but I know it's not something I can see myself doing at this moment in time. Do you have any idea about what you want to do after?
    I haven't quite decided at the moment but I feel like life sciences such as Neuroscience give you a range of options so I'll see where I end up!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.