Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should lasers be banned in the UK Watch

• View Poll Results: Should lasers be banned/made illegal in the UK?
    Yes
    35.87%
    No
    64.13%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    banned of course ...
    why would one need a laser?
    Physics!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    banned of course ...
    I use one when the cats are being painful as I can make them run up and down the garden chasing it

Rather innocuous device really so not sure why it needs to be banned

I mean what next:- ban torches!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    Physics!
    absolute nonsense !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    banned of course ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaconandSauce)
    I use one when the cats are being painful as I can make them run up and down the garden chasing it

Rather innocuous device really so not sure why it needs to be banned

I mean what next:- ban torches!
    definitely a good use ...
    good argument why they must not be banned ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie S)
    thank you for your irrelevant reply ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    definitely a good use ...
    good argument why they must not be banned ...
    It's a valid use for them (hell you can even buy them at my local RSPCA centre)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    banned of course ...
    Shooting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Shooting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    nonsense

ReputationRep:
    It's a valid use for them (hell you can even buy them at my local RSPCA centre)
    thankfully the lawmakers in this country are not people your age ...

ReputationRep:
    Ban them based on power. Any that are powerful enough to shine a focused beam into a cockpit must be banned due to the extreme risk to life they possess. Nobody has any rational need for a laser that strong outside of a controlled lab environment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    banned of course ...
    instead of banning things by failing to know what its function is, why not ask yourself "why should we ban this thing when it's only dangerous in a minority of cases, and we can surely punish the people who use them in bad situation?" - I mean, "why would one need a chainsaw?", "why would one need a hammer?", why would one need a drill?" - they are tool with personalised uses - lasers are very useful in certain respects, and just because they *can* be dangerous doesn't make them universally so. do some serious thinking before you **** with other people's liberties/advocate removing people's rights because I can't stand this nanny mentality which is that adult citizens aren't responsible over their lives or their moral choices. in that case, why even bother giving us the right to vote when we don't even have the right to ****ing toys like lasers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    thankfully the lawmakers in this country are not people your age ...
    I'm old enough (I'm a mature student doing my Phd with the open university)

So nice attempt to belittle but so wide of the mark there's a polar bear somewhere thinking what the **** was that

ReputationRep:
    I thought the strong ones were already banned, or is it just trying to bring one into the country from abroad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    nonsense
    My precession cheese guillotine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    why even bother giving us the right to vote when we don't even have the right to ****ing toys like lasers?
    When something has the potential to kill 300+ people at once it is no longer a toy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    instead of banning things by failing to know what its function is, why not ask yourself "why should we ban this thing when it's only dangerous in a minority of cases, and we can surely punish the people who use them in bad situation?" - I mean, "why would one need a chainsaw?", "why would one need a hammer?", why would one need a drill?" - they are tool with personalised uses - lasers are very useful in certain respects, and just because they *can* be dangerous doesn't make them universally so. do some serious thinking before you **** with other people's liberties/advocate removing people's rights because I can't stand this nanny mentality which is that adult citizens aren't responsible over their lives or their moral choices. in that case, why even bother giving us the right to vote when we don't even have the right to ****ing toys like lasers?
    thank you for educating me ...
    the analogies you attempt are not valid.
    The likelyhood of getting caught using a laser on an aircraft is practically zero

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    nonsense
    Oh dear

http://www.jsramsbottom.com/category...-laser-sights/

http://www.drapers-airguns.co.uk/ind...&cPath=273_279

so much arrogance\ignorance

But how about the building industry they use them as well as do other industries should we ban all of these uses as well?

ReputationRep:
    I'm old enough (I'm a mature student doing my Phd with the open university)

So nice attempt to belittle but so wide of the mark there's a polar bear somewhere thinking what the **** was that
    grow up !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    My precession cheese guillotine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    amazing wit !!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.