Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should lasers be banned in the UK Watch

• View Poll Results: Should lasers be banned/made illegal in the UK?
    Yes
    35.87%
    No
    64.13%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheArtofProtest)
    You seem like the type of guy that would find it justified to perpetually lock everyone up in solitary so that there are no crimes.
    How did u arrive at that conclusion? lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    Eh saw it on the news tbh, apparently the eagles (and other birds of prey) can grab them without injury, one the skin on their feet is quite tough I think, and apparently they are aware of the blades and tend to twist upside-down underneath the drone and thus grab it in their talons from the underneath, holding the body not the propellers.
    I know the ones my friends use have all sorts of safety devices fitted to prevent them from being able to operate the blades while holding the device given the real risk of only being able to count to 6.

But it would be interesting to see this but I don't think it's such a good idea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somemightsay888)
    What are the purpose of lasers anyway lol, every time I've seen someone with them all they do is shine it at people ?
    they're fun to play with

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaconandSauce)
    But it would be interesting to see this but I don't think it's such a good idea
    Most birds of prey are 'preprogrammed' to attack other birds from underneath their prey so that they can't fight back. Seems to work so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Most birds of prey are 'preprogrammed' to attack other birds from underneath their prey so that they can't fight back. Seems to work so far.
    fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    no wonder you are getting banned ...
    That isn't a red card offence and I have a clean record.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    That isn't a red card offence and I have a clean record.
    I was referring to your past record...
    Our paths rarely cross and in the few times you have spoken to me you come across as very unpleasant with your snide offensive "smart" comments, which clearly at times you cannot control ...
    All the best to you !!

ReputationRep:
    This was a joke thread right?

ReputationRep:
    The Kind of lasers in question are already banned
    We are not talking about 9.99 laser pointers or laser levels

Suggesting that they have legitimate uses is daft. If you need to use lasers that are high power, you already have stringent rules that apply. University labs take laser safety very seriously

Using one to attempt to blind a pilot is akin to using a firearm to bring down a plane, but people are buying them on the net as weapons

They should receive a high penalty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    I was referring to your past record...
    Our paths rarely cross and in the few times you have spoken to me you come across as very unpleasant with your snide offensive "smart" comments, which clearly at times you cannot control ...
    All the best to you !!
    My fingers have minds of their own, I just can't control what I type.

Did I offend you? Would you like to file a complaint?

ReputationRep:
    My fingers have minds of their own, I just can't control what I type.

Did I offend you? Would you like to file a complaint?
    Me offended?
    I hardly going to be offended by you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    Me offended?
    I hardly going to be offended by you.
    You really should have stayed in school with grammar like that.

ReputationRep:
    You really should have stayed in school with grammar like that.
    As you are clearly an immature individual and you must have the last word (or last post here) , I will leave you to do so and I will not bother to reply back.
    You are a talentless, bitter person.
    Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    As you are clearly an immature individual and you must have the last word (or last post here) , I will leave you to do so and I will not bother to reply back.
    You are a talentless, bitter person.
    Good luck.
    Cheers buddy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    In fairness though, model aircraft have existed for decades, they've never been used to attack planes - and are much more capable of taking a payload up with them - so the sudden obsession with drones is a touch perplexing.
    that makes sense. i guess one factor is the cheapness of drones ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/WANGSCANIS®-...ne+with+camera

this seems to be the cheapest !

ReputationRep:
    They're important for physics experiments though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    that makes sense. i guess one factor is the cheapness of drones ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/WANGSCANIS®-...ne+with+camera

this seems to be the cheapest !
    Yeah, but that's tiny. It wouldn't be able to reach the heights that aircraft do, the controllers wouldn't have the range and it wouldn't do much damage in the first place. People are more worried about the larger ones, the kinds that are around £400 or so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    Should the majority suffer for the minority? No.
    You seriously call not being allowed a stupid laser pointer "suffering".

1st world problems much

ReputationRep:
    No. When they are used in the malicious manner described in the report they are already banned under the offensive weapons act. By banning there purchase entirely all you are doing is harming the legitimate majority and ultimately most likely not harming the illegitimate minority who will most likely just purchase them using illegal means regardless of law.

ReputationRep:
    I think the "Why should the many have to pay for what the few do?" is a completely idiotic notion. Your principles aren't as important as keeping planes from being crashed.

I voted for no, though. There are other steps that can be taken first. Limit the power, and arrest anyone in possession of a greater powered one. If that does not work, ban having one in public without due reason as-well, and treat it the same way. After all that, implement licenses.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.