Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

A Female's road to Bath University's Computer Science Degree (Hopefully) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Been seeing loads of these and would like to have a go If this helps anyone that would be brilliant, hopefully it will keep me motivated right to the end.

I'm a Year 13 student who hopes to study Computer Science at Bath university. I got the offer! Now just the grades ....

I need AAA/ A*AB (arggghhhh ! No! I'm sure it will be fine...*Laughs nervously*)

Last Years Maths Modules:
    C1 : 90% A
    C2 : 79% B (only found question 7 in the last 15 minutes and then 3 minutes before the end.... THERE IS A NINTH QUESTION AAAARRRRRGGGHHHH!!!!! Not as well as planned)
    FP1 : 69% C -Retaking
    M1 : 85% A
    D1 : 100%
    D2 : 95%

AS Grades:
    Maths : A
    Further Maths : A
    Physics: A
    Chemistry : A
    Physics : A
    History : C ( 1 disastrous exam, dropped at the end of year 12)

Hopeful A2 Grades:
    Maths A/A*
    Further Maths A /A*
    Physics A*
    Chemistry A

November/ December Mock Results:
    My mock results were not nearly as good as my AS December/November mock results, but I was applying for Oxford at the time I had spent all my tie on the MAT paper for the 4th November and had no time to work on the mocks. (I went on holiday to Majorca over the half term and did about 5 MAT papers over the week or safe to say wasn't feeling prepared for the mocks). I didn't get into Oxford but wasn't that bothered as the course was really small (28) and I had convinced my family to visit Bath over the summer and absolutely fell in love with the uni and the town.

C3 - C
    Chemistry (mix of unit 1 and 2) - E
    Physics - C
    Statistics 2 - U (Got in a complete muddle oops)

February Mocks

Really pleased with my February mocks, I still have a bit to go but I know I worked hard and I now know what I need to do next.

S1 A 62/75
    Chem 1 C 35/60
    M2 B 57/75
    FP1 66/75 ( this ws only the first four chapters)
    Physics 1 A 44/60

This years maths modules:
    Statistics 1
    Core 3
    Core 4
    Mechanics 2
    FP2
    Statistics 2

How am I going to get there ?
    So far we have finished C3, Stats 1 and 2, M2 Chemistry 1 and Physics 1. I have started doing past papers on all of these and have been recording the results on a grid( so I can see which papers are worth redoing at a later stage and if there is any improvement). Once I have done marked a paper I take an A4 lied piece of paper and write the things that I got wrong or need to work on. For example I couldn't remember how an azo dye was made os I wrote out the question and did a model answer. This mean I don't have to search through the papers to find the areas I got wrong and means its easier to see if its the same area I keep getting wrong.
    I then make revision cards on these specific areas with the exam question on one side and the answer on the other.
    For relearning FP1 I am taking each chapter at a time and using the questions sorted by topic on my maths and Physics tutor to go through each chapter. I am using these for the other maths modules if I do an exam paper and I have messed up an entire question on that topic or keep making mistakes in that area.
    The February Mocks are next week so need to get motivated!
    My Past paper Marks so far (in past papers chronological order) :
    Chem 1 - DBAB
    Core 3 - A*C
    Physics 1 - A
    Stats 1 - ACA
    Stats 2 (Bronze-Gold papers off MathsandPhyscis Tutor) - BCAA
    Haven't finished any M2 papers yet or FP1
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Good luck! And you did 6 AS? Oh wait, no, it's 5.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Rose)
    Good luck! And you did 6 AS? Oh wait, no, it's 5.
    Thank you and hahaha yeah 5 only ( 6 I think I would have had a break down).It took a lot of pushing alot of teachers were against it!
    I was going to do Maths Art Chemistry Physics and History (I didn't want to do General Studies and that would fit in the hours of lessons given each week) Then there was shifting cause it didnt fit and I wanted to do a maths degree (Decision maths showed me how much I would enjoy Computer Science). My choices fit in the timetable but it meant I had no free periods and only one supervised study period a week. Pretty full on.
    Having done it and now gone down 4 I wouldn't have not done it but I wouldn't recommend it. I had no idea what I wanted to do at uni so wanted o keep my options open. It was really hard and I got pretty ill at one point cause I never had a break. My AS exams where also spread over two months and by the last two I had almost given up my friends had all finished and went to Disney Land with the school (well jel). It was exhausting.
    The only thing that got me through those last two exams decision 1 and 2 was my mum I don't think I would have done any work for them otherwise and they ended up being my best two results.
    It was made worse by the fact we went back to school and started learning A2 courses (on my full timetable you couldn't drop during that time) while I still had exams to go!

Oops I talk to much
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by CSLady)
    Thank you and hahaha yeah 5 only ( 6 I think I would have had a break down).It took a lot of pushing alot of teachers were against it!
    I was going to do Maths Art Chemistry Physics and History (I didn't want to do General Studies and that would fit in the hours of lessons given each week) Then there was shifting cause it didnt fit and I wanted to do a maths degree (Decision maths showed me how much I would enjoy Computer Science). My choices fit in the timetable but it meant I had no free periods and only one supervised study period a week. Pretty full on.
    Having done it and now gone down 4 I wouldn't have not done it but I wouldn't recommend it. I had no idea what I wanted to do at uni so wanted o keep my options open. It was really hard and I got pretty ill at one point cause I never had a break. My AS exams where also spread over two months and by the last two I had almost given up my friends had all finished and went to Disney Land with the school (well jel). It was exhausting.
    The only thing that got me through those last two exams decision 1 and 2 was my mum I don't think I would have done any work for them otherwise and they ended up being my best two results.
    It was made worse by the fact we went back to school and started learning A2 courses (on my full timetable you couldn't drop during that time) while I still had exams to go!

Oops I talk to much
    Oh wow that sounds really stressful! Would you get the chance to go to Disneyland this year? You did really well though, great job!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Rose)
    Oh wow that sounds really stressful! Would you get the chance to go to Disneyland this year? You did really well though, great job!
    no sadly not its a trip only offered to year 12's thank you

ReputationRep:
    Did no revision yesterday went to London shopping (good start).
    Today's goals:
    Finish M2 paper and mark + do example answers
    Start redoing Chapter 3 in FP1 for mock next week

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So today I marked my M2 paper from Monday and made model answers for the ones I got wrong (Which was quite a few seeing as I got an E!)
    I am not to worried as it's the first full paper I've done and a lot of it was the right idea with a slip up with simple maths

Did a second M2 paper and got a C so an improvement. yay

Tomorrow I hope to do some FP1 work.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Good luck :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 16Characters....)
    Good luck :-)
    Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1455790010.327012.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  80.0 KB
    This I made today is a table of all my past papers I've done in order so I can see if I am improving or not.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1455790086.404764.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  85.1 KB
    And this is a running table that says what marks I got in which past papers so when I have finished hem all I can see which ones are worth doing again

(I've added the highlighter to make it more obvious and colourful)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The next hour I am going to spend on chapter 3 of FP1 Numerical Equations.
    I will work through the the questions in the Oxford textbook and the worked examples.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The next hour I am going to spend on chapter 3 of FP1 Numerical Equations.
    I will work through the the questions in the Oxford textbook and the worked examples.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ok so I have gone through 3.1 and 3.2 (interval bisecting) I just need to do 3 more questions on 3.2 then I can move onto 3.3 linear interpolation.

The next hour I hope to finish the last two questions of 3.2 and complete 3.3.
    Will start as soon as I have grabbed some more berry tea (I could live off this stuff!).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Finished 3.2 and 3.3 and had lunch (Hence the late reply to this thread) I did every other question in 3.3 and did the stretch questions in 3.2.
    In the next hour I hope to finish 3.4 the Newton-Raphson Process

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wow! Nice to see a girl going into computer science; as far as I am aware you are a rarity! I too am studying Maths, Physics and Chemistry so look forward to keeping up to date with your study techniques and reading your blog.

ReputationRep:
    Finished 3.4 Newton Raphson section
    I also started doing past exam questions on by topic on the chapter (Find these on Physics and Maths Tutor they are from the exams between 2009 jan and 2013) I did 2 and I am using these to "consolidate my learning" as teachers love to say. I am now going to have an hour break and then will come up with the plan for the next hour 🤔

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BryonyG98)
    Wow! Nice to see a girl going into computer science; as far as I am aware you are a rarity! I too am studying Maths, Physics and Chemistry so look forward to keeping up to date with your study techniques and reading your blog.
    I think most universities have around 15% girls on their computer science courses. A bit daunting but I'm the only girl in my further maths and physics classes so kind of used to it. How are they going ? Hope it serves as some use!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ok for the next hour I am going to do more past exams questions on chapter 3 of FP1 (numerical methods) for my upcoming mock next week. I did this with chapter 2 and found it very helpful the best method I found is to do a question then mark it. That way if you make an error you can make sure next question you do the right thing rather then doing them all and then marking them and finding you've made the same mistake several times.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think most universities have around 15% girls on their computer science courses. A bit daunting but I'm the only girl in my further maths and physics classes so kind of used to it. How are they going ? Hope it serves as some use!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm getting used to it too. I'm the only girl in my Chemistry class out of 9. Then in my physics class there are 4 girls out of 6 (but there are there are 2 other all boy classes which puts a bit of a downer on things! Then in maths there is only me again!

That is surprisingly high, I thought it was considerably lower that that (I thought it was more similar to engineering where there always appears to be about 90% boys)

So far it has been useful, I have already made a sheet similar to yours for the past papers which I hope to use!

ReputationRep:
    I have completed 6 more exam questions on chapter 3 and have marked them
    In the next hour I am going to finish the remaining 5 exam questions and try to make a summary page on the exam questions for the chapter. Hopefully like the one I did for chapter 2 with tips on tackling questions from the chapter shown below Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1455815399.883079.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  55.7 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BryonyG98)
    I'm getting used to it too. I'm the only girl in my Chemistry class out of 9. Then in my physics class there are 4 girls out of 6 (but there are there are 2 other all boy classes which puts a bit of a downer on things! Then in maths there is only me again!

That is surprisingly high, I thought it was considerably lower that that (I thought it was more similar to engineering where there always appears to be about 90% boys)

So far it has been useful, I have already made a sheet similar to yours for the past papers which I hope to use!
    My chemistry class is more fair physics there is 8 guys and me and the further maths there are two other boys. My maths is two girls to about 6-7 boys.
    Thinking about it that figure is probably optimistic. I think that was a percentage one of the universities stated but I looked at so many I can't remember which one 😂
    Good to see its some use I made a sheet like that last year for AS and found it really useful for making sure I didn't do he same exam paper over and over again and not do the others.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.