Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A Female's road to Bath University's Computer Science Degree (Hopefully) Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So got up early today and started working around about 10. (Got distracted reading for about 2 hours)
    I stuck to the 30 minute slots and I found that meant I was more motivated to do another slot and then another. I found I ended up doing more work without having a break than when I did the 1 hour slots.
    I spent 2 hours doing he remaining past paper questions on chapter 4 of FP1 and so I can now move on to matrices. I used the markschemes to make model answers for the ones I got incorrect. At the end I made a couple of brief notes for what to look out for in these questions which I can quickly read through before the exam.
    I spent 30 minutes finishing the remaining questions on Exercise 6H of C4 making model answers for the ones I got wrong.
    I the spent 3hrs and 30 minutes going through the entire chapter 2 of C4 (coordinates). I went through all the questions and all the examples, again making model answers for the wrong questions.
    Seeing as I spent 6 hours doing maths today I decided not to do any physics CW which I will do tomorrow.
    I also hope to redo the chapter 2 assessment so I can hand it in to be remarked so I can be sure I have really understood chapter 2 of C4.
    I also hope to start the matrices chapter of FP1 so I don't leave FP1 which is my first exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So yesterday I got up and spent half an hour completing the chapter assessment I wanted to redo due to the low mark.
    I spent two hours on power, work and energy which many consider is the hardest chapter of M2.
    I haven't quite got the hang of it yet and would like to do some more work on it I'm working through the text book and doing all the questions again and the examples I then hope to move onto the past exam questions on the topic. This chapter is probably my worst chapter.

Today I spent most of the day shopping and lusting over stationary. Held to my guns though and only brought a brand new rubber and some body sprays which were a bargain.
    I got half an hour done of matrices in FP1 where I am working through the textbook and then plan to answer exam questions.
    I also made a list of the topics in each subject I think I need to work one the most.

Tomorrow I hope to do more and today was really a day off.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday I spent 1 hour doing interactive learning of chemistry definitions recommended by another person on tsr (Chemistry A* OCR A thread).
    I spent an hour and a half going through the matrices questions in FP1.
    I spent half an hour going through cumulative distribution in S2.
    Today I did no school work. I had my mates over in the afternoon to make mocktails (non-alcoholic cocktails) and spent the morning shopping at the market for ingredients. My favourite had to be the Shirley Temple which was not too hard except we had to remove the seeds from a pomegranate and liquidise them which was messy and the juice stained.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Today I felt quite productive. Had the radio blaring and got through 5 cups of tea.
    Spent 3 and 1/2 hours going through the work energy and power chapter of M2 and did a past question. I feel link this chapter is so much simpler than it seemed before and so once I have done some work on rods (balanced against walls etc) I feel like I can make a proper go at some more of the past papers.
    I watched a 10 minute guide to revision on tsr which was quite helpful.
    Spent an hour and a 1/2 on chemistry. I was going to do a legacy paper on transition element but realise do couldn't remember any of the electrode potential stuff, so instead made a poster on that and did some separate questions on it from a revision guide. This I have now stuck on my wall. Spurred on by the revision video I wrote down all the areas I needed to learn for chemistry and colour coded them based on how much I knew. I also left a space where I could include the time spent on each section. Hopefully this will make me more focused and make sure I don't miss out any key bits when revising for my chemistry exams.

Tomorrow I am going into school between 9:30-3:00 to do a C3 and C4 revision session so will probably not do much when I get home.

Tip for the day : always tidy your desk straight after you have finished you revision session even if you think next time you will do the same thing. It makes your desk / table/floor a more appealing space and you don't have to tidy it before starting the next bit

Hope everyone is coping well and staying on top of the workload.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with Bath. :hand:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SSUCL)
    Good luck with Bath. :hand:
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you !

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ok so went into school today for a maths revision session.
    Spent 21/2 hours on C3 going a long set of questions.
    Topics I need to work on:
    Graph transformations
    Inverse functions
    Domain and range

I then did 21/2 hours of C4 going through lots of questions:
    Topics I need to work on:
    Identities a little
    A few other bits and pieces.

I then went to the library and when I got back I did half an hour on chromatography one of my remaining areas of difficulty for my first chemistry exam.
    I made a poster on the three types we know and answered some exam questions and some questions from the text book. I think it's the mobile and stationary phase that always confuses me.
    My wall is filling up now above my desk so I am going to have to decide where next to put my posters.
    Overall a very successful day and it was great to get out the house and moan about how done I am with A levels with other people.

Revision tip of the day: Mix it up! Try a new location for studying or new method. I find that revision cards work really well for some things while posters work well for others. Try different revision methods even if you have found one you think is great it might just surprise you. Also means if it's not going in one way then maybe it will go in with another method.

Off to watch a bit of TV. 3 months and it will be all over! Can't wait for the summer !

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So this is yesterdays post but I forgot to do it.
    Name:  IMG_0575[1].jpg
Views: 45
Size:  509.6 KB
    I spent two hours on S2 focusing on Continuous Random variables in particular the cumulative and probability distribution functions which I have been confused about for a while. I started making an A4 fact sheet with the key things I needed to know from the textbook and I have stuck this on my wall next to my light switch.
    I did a lot of examples and then did lots of questions. Its going slowly but I understand it much better than I did so that's progress.
    I sent one hour doing an S1 paper (June 2009) I think it went ok, I haven't marked it yet so not completely sure. S1 has kind of been let behind and so some bits I just couldn't remember how to do so I need to make sure I go over them. I want to get as many marks in S1 as possible in order that if something goes wrong with my A2 modules I can make sure I have an A which is what I need in maths at the least.
    I spent half an hour on M2 doing the mixed exercise from the work,power and energy section. This is now boring me so i am going to goo over the chapter on statics of rigid bodies which I am still not completely sure about. Then I will go and back to do the mixed exercise so I can see if the maths has become long term or short term memory.
    I then spent half an hour on one of the topics I had highlighted as needing a lot of work on my sheet for chemistry. I found it quite good to just pick a random one and not have to think about a topic first. I made a poster with the basic information I needed and then started making notes on how to do the calculations.
    Attachment 520941520947

Other than school work I have:

Started the third book in the Night School series, Fracture by C.J. Daughtery which I am really enjoying.
    Finished the last episode of the BBC series Thirteen which is well worth a watch.

At the moment I am listening to : Post Modern Jukebox on YouTube who do covers of modern songs in different music styles from the twentieth century. The Love Yourself cover (originally by Justin Beiber) is amazing! Take a look.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    So spent the morning culling my makeup collection and going into town.

I spent two hours doing M2 going over the rigid bodies. I found some really good videos by Further Maths Support Programme which explain M2 and lots of other modules that are really good and easy to follow. I also made a poster on laminas and rigid bodies.

I spent half and hour marking my S1 paper and I was really happy with it. Got 62 which was equivalent to 90% of the ums at the same time. I also made a poster about different methods of measuring skewness which was were I lost some marks. I also need to go over histograms.

Spent half an hour going through storage and fuel cells and made a poster to go with it.

Today I have been reading more of fracture and listening to Scouting for Girls greatest hits.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So today I spent half an hour on M2.
    I watched a FSMP video on statics and worked through the example. I attempted the question and then watched the solution noting down what the solution was and annotating the steps.
    I spent half an hour on S1 particularly on histograms. I watched the FMSP video and made notes and an A4 poster with the key points.
    I spent 2 hours on FP2 which is probably one of my hardest units I am studying. I watched the FSMP video on differential equations. I watched the first differential equation bit working through the example and then did half an hour of questions from my textbook. I then watched the second half on second order differentials making notes on the example and then spent half an hour doing questions from the textbook. I also made a poster with the key equations I need to know and things to be wary of.
    I spent about 45 minutes making a revision timetable and writing down what I want to achieve in my revision sessions in the next week.

Other things I did today:
    Watched an old episode of educating Yorkshire
    Finished my book and wrote a review on good reads

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So yesterday I spent 1 and a half hours going through my physics coursework.
    I spent 1/2 on FP2 and then did the gold 4 paper for s2 which took 1 1/2 hours.
    Something I think I need to work on is the S2 definitions they never make up very many marks but they are just memory tests and the extra mark or two might be the difference between an A and a B. So plan is to find a list of all the key definitions that I need to know. Sampling distribution and population seem to come up quite a lot.

Revision tip from yesterday : Do all past papers in timed conditions so you can work on timing as well as being able to answer questions

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi there I'm currently a final year student doing my dissertation on women in the computing industry and whether changing the curriculum from ICT to Computing would encourage more females into the industry and I would really appreciate it if you could take a couple of minutes to complete this questionnaire for me! Thank you in advance

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1o56...ewform?c=0&w=1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sham78612)
    Hi there I'm currently a final year student doing my dissertation on women in the computing industry and whether changing the curriculum from ICT to Computing would encourage more females into the industry and I would really appreciate it if you could take a couple of minutes to complete this questionnaire for me! Thank you in advance

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1o56...ewform?c=0&w=1
    Done! Happy to help! Hope your dissertation goes well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CSLady)
    Done! Happy to help! Hope your dissertation goes well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you for your help! And thank you it's so stressful lol 😐😐 and good luck with everything 😀😀

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sham78612)
    Thank you for your help! And thank you it's so stressful lol 😐😐 and good luck with everything 😀😀
    Thank you and you too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday I spent half an hour marking the S2 paper. I got an A so really happy there were a couple of questions I did not get what so ever but looking at the markscheme it makes sense. I spent half an hour on C3 transformations as this is an area I can't stand and that appears quite often.

Today I spent an hour going through my physics coursework and that was all apart from 5 hours of lessons. I hoped to do more but my shoulders really hurt from swimming yesterday and so I couldn't concentrate on anything and feel exhausted. That's butterfly for you !

Tomorrow I am going to a chemistry revision session and then won't get any revision done in the evening because I have youth orchestra.

Today's revision tip : make a list of all the topics you want to achieve and then when you sit down to do some revision it will be obvious what you need to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm loving the tips. They're making me think that I actually have a chance of doing as much as you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ara8311a)
    I'm loving the tips. They're making me think that I actually have a chance of doing as much as you!
    Aww thank you ! Go for it !

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So today was very productive and I am happy with how much I did. Even had time to paint my nails ! They are looking fierce !

I spent half an hour doing some questions from the C4 textbook o integration. Integration is one of those things that is impossible for ages and then suddenly just clicks. I also worked out how to derive all the equations that sir told us just to learn off by heart. Although its easier just to learn somethings by heart I am not really a person who learns formula and can just quote it off the top of my head so its really helpful to be able to derive equations using ones I already know are in my head.
    I did a C3 paper which I realise I have been neglecting for a while and went through and marked it. I got 66 which was 87% which I am so pleased as its a really nice grade to get with a month or two till the exam. C3 seems so much easier now I am doing C4 and not to mention FP2. I made a couple of simple mistakes and used long division when it doesn't appear in C3. This made my answer in the wrong format which messed up the second part. Oh well you cant win them all. Also i spent ages differentiating something when I realised I could have used part 1 of the question to do it in about 3 lines. PAY ATTENTION TO THE NUMBER OF MARKS! If its very few marks and you are taking up two pages then there is obviously something wrong. I did however get the correct answer using the differentiation I was doing so if I don't notice in the exam then its not a disaster. Went through after and made notes on what to remember for next time. These sheets are great to read over before you do the following mock or real exam, best o make them as brief as possible.

Did the January 2010 Chemistry Exam for Unit 1 of A2. I had previously got a D so I was nervous about how it would go the second time. I was really happy with the result I got 49 out of 60 which was an A (I couldn't find the 90% conversion not sure if they did A* then) . My mistakes were not too bad. I still cant seem to read the questions properly but working on it. Something I still need to improve is reasons and synthesis. I just need to get to the point where I can see those annoying synthesis sheets on the back of my eyelids when I close them. Its the ones where they give you a really weird molecule and you have to be like "Oh look there is an alcohol group if I add this then ....." you get the idea. I am really happy with the result I really want an A at A2. An A* would be amazing but no one has got an A* in chemistry in our school in 5 years, I have checked. I am feeling ok about unit 2 because its mostly maths and so "I have got this" as I keep telling myself (before I try not to cry ).

So tomorrow's goals:
    PHYSICS CW !!!!!
    Physics revision

Revision tip of the day:
    I say revision but this is more for the breaks in between. Have some upbeat music on hand to listen to in between revision sessions or even during (though many would say that is distracting so maybe just in between, before and after) I shall include some of my favourites. Upbeat music gets me moving an really helps me keep cheery and not make the day seem to drag on for ages.

My favourites:
    Anything my Fleur East (Sax, Paris, Kitchen) all will get you up in no time
    Macklemore (Can't hold us, And we danced)
    PostModern Jukebox (particularly love yourself, Ignition, ganstas paradise and thong song covers) they are great look them up on you tube
    Robin Schulz (sugar or Prayer in C the ones I know best)
    and Lunchbox Lewis !
    Go forward and enjoy yourselfs!!!!! As well as getting fabulous results!
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CSLady)
    Been seeing loads of these and would like to have a go If this helps anyone that would be brilliant, hopefully it will keep me motivated right to the end.

I'm a Year 13 student who hopes to study Computer Science at Bath university. I got the offer! Now just the grades ....

I need AAA/ A*AB (arggghhhh ! No! I'm sure it will be fine...*Laughs nervously*)

Last Years Maths Modules:
    C1 : 90% A
    C2 : 79% B (only found question 7 in the last 15 minutes and then 3 minutes before the end.... THERE IS A NINTH QUESTION AAAARRRRRGGGHHHH!!!!! Not as well as planned)
    FP1 : 69% C -Retaking
    M1 : 85% A
    D1 : 100%
    D2 : 95%

AS Grades:
    Maths : A
    Further Maths : A
    Physics: A
    Chemistry : A
    Physics : A
    History : C ( 1 disastrous exam, dropped at the end of year 12)

Hopeful A2 Grades:
    Maths A/A*
    Further Maths A /A*
    Physics A*
    Chemistry A

November/ December Mock Results:
    My mock results were not nearly as good as my AS December/November mock results, but I was applying for Oxford at the time I had spent all my tie on the MAT paper for the 4th November and had no time to work on the mocks. (I went on holiday to Majorca over the half term and did about 5 MAT papers over the week or safe to say wasn't feeling prepared for the mocks). I didn't get into Oxford but wasn't that bothered as the course was really small (28) and I had convinced my family to visit Bath over the summer and absolutely fell in love with the uni and the town.

C3 - C
    Chemistry (mix of unit 1 and 2) - E
    Physics - C
    Statistics 2 - U (Got in a complete muddle oops)

February Mocks

Really pleased with my February mocks, I still have a bit to go but I know I worked hard and I now know what I need to do next.

S1 A 62/75
    Chem 1 C 35/60
    M2 B 57/75
    FP1 66/75 ( this ws only the first four chapters)
    Physics 1 A 44/60

This years maths modules:
    Statistics 1
    Core 3
    Core 4
    Mechanics 2
    FP2
    Statistics 2

How am I going to get there ?
    So far we have finished C3, Stats 1 and 2, M2 Chemistry 1 and Physics 1. I have started doing past papers on all of these and have been recording the results on a grid( so I can see which papers are worth redoing at a later stage and if there is any improvement). Once I have done marked a paper I take an A4 lied piece of paper and write the things that I got wrong or need to work on. For example I couldn't remember how an azo dye was made os I wrote out the question and did a model answer. This mean I don't have to search through the papers to find the areas I got wrong and means its easier to see if its the same area I keep getting wrong.
    I then make revision cards on these specific areas with the exam question on one side and the answer on the other.
    For relearning FP1 I am taking each chapter at a time and using the questions sorted by topic on my maths and Physics tutor to go through each chapter. I am using these for the other maths modules if I do an exam paper and I have messed up an entire question on that topic or keep making mistakes in that area.
    The February Mocks are next week so need to get motivated!
    My Past paper Marks so far (in past papers chronological order) :
    Chem 1 - DBAB
    Core 3 - A*C
    Physics 1 - A
    Stats 1 - ACA
    Stats 2 (Bronze-Gold papers off MathsandPhyscis Tutor) - BCAA
    Haven't finished any M2 papers yet or FP1
    This is fantastic and I really hope you get to Bath I'm at GCSE but I wanted to take 5 AS - I know you say you wouldn't recommend it but could you go into more detail as to why and how you found it all (Apologies if you have already done this)

Thank you so much

Also what did you get at GCSE?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.