Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A Female's road to Bath University's Computer Science Degree (Hopefully) Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brainzistheword)
    This is fantastic and I really hope you get to Bath I'm at GCSE but I wanted to take 5 AS - I know you say you wouldn't recommend it but could you go into more detail as to why and how you found it all (Apologies if you have already done this)

Thank you so much

Also what did you get at GCSE?
    Thank you! Well I the main problem was that I had no free periods (one hour a week which was supervised) and so had completely full days almost everyday. Also my sixth form recommends 5 hours per subject per week so I was struggling to commit to 25 hours outside of my full timetable. I missed out on a lot of stuff with my friends because they had frees together and so would go to town or organise to do things outside of school time. Which meant that when I did hang out with them I couldn't always follow the conversations because of missing so much.
    I also got very ill and it took ages to fully recover because I had to do so much work. I also couldn't afford to miss days often because of all the lessons I would miss which just meant I was ill for longer.
    I also had lots of exams and it was just really hard to keep on top of all the deadlines and work.
    If you think you can cope then I would do the 5 on a trial and then go down if you need to. My social life and health was badly effected but I did enjoy history for most of the year until near exams when it got really busy. So if you are completely pumped for it go for it but do it on a trial. There is no shame of then dropping down to 4 or even 3 because at the end if the day universities only care about 3 subjects at most 4. Extra A levels won't give you a leg up if they turn up average. Better to smash 3/4 A levels then do average at 5. So I say go for it on a trial basis and then at the October half term say or another date review how you think it's going and then make a decision.
    I got 7A* 5A and 1 B at GCSE.
    Please note some subjects are more time consuming than others. Art for example takes up the time of about 2 A levels outside of class where as a subject like maths generally takes up less.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CSLady)
    Thank you! Well I the main problem was that I had no free periods (one hour a week which was supervised) and so had completely full days almost everyday. Also my sixth form recommends 5 hours per subject per week so I was struggling to commit to 25 hours outside of my full timetable. I missed out on a lot of stuff with my friends because they had frees together and so would go to town or organise to do things outside of school time. Which meant that when I did hang out with them I couldn't always follow the conversations because of missing so much.
    I also got very ill and it took ages to fully recover because I had to do so much work. I also couldn't afford to miss days often because of all the lessons I would miss which just meant I was ill for longer.
    I also had lots of exams and it was just really hard to keep on top of all the deadlines and work.
    If you think you can cope then I would do the 5 on a trial and then go down if you need to. My social life and health was badly effected but I did enjoy history for most of the year until near exams when it got really busy. So if you are completely pumped for it go for it but do it on a trial. There is no shame of then dropping down to 4 or even 3 because at the end if the day universities only care about 3 subjects at most 4. Extra A levels won't give you a leg up if they turn up average. Better to smash 3/4 A levels then do average at 5. So I say go for it on a trial basis and then at the October half term say or another date review how you think it's going and then make a decision.
    I got 7A* 5A and 1 B at GCSE.
    Please note some subjects are more time consuming than others. Art for example takes up the time of about 2 A levels outside of class where as a subject like maths generally takes up less.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and yes,I was thinking of doing it provisionally and I always viewed it that if I tried it and could do it then great, but if not, then I could always go back down to 3/4 and at least I would know. Well done on your GCSEs, I really hope I can do well like you. Also, in terms of time-consuming, I was looking at Maths, FM, Chemistry, Physics and Geology or Biology depending on the college, so basically I suppose the maths would be less time consuming but the sciences are quite a big jump from GCSE, is that about right?

Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brainzistheword)
    Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and yes,I was thinking of doing it provisionally and I always viewed it that if I tried it and could do it then great, but if not, then I could always go back down to 3/4 and at least I would know. Well done on your GCSEs, I really hope I can do well like you. Also, in terms of time-consuming, I was looking at Maths, FM, Chemistry, Physics and Geology or Biology depending on the college, so basically I suppose the maths would be less time consuming but the sciences are quite a big jump from GCSE, is that about right?

Thanks again
    That's ok. That's the best way of going about it. Thank you and I am sure you can if you put your mind to it. The sciences and maths are quite a jump. You will find that maths, further maths and physics will overlap a lot which means you will find the maths in physics much easier. Are you going to do the mechanics modules in maths/ further I do 1 and 2 and they make physics so much easier and physics makes them easier. There is a lot of overlap between the three sciences which will also make it easier. I struggled most with history because it didn't overlap with my other subjects so I spent more time in that then each of my other subjects. Does you school offer the GCSE further maths ? I did it and it made a lot of maths and further maths a lot easier. If not might be worth looking at it during the holiday. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I did hours and hours of physics today. Mostly coursework but a few questions for classwork too. Not really much to say because it was mostly writing up my experiment and trying to explain dodgy results but that's coursework for you.

Today's revision tip:
    Look after your mental health! Don't hair sit inside in the same room for hours. It helps me a lot to plan meet ups with friends and revision days. I have something to look forward too and although I might not get as much done on those days it keeps me sane. Something I found really helpful last year was going into my sixth form during study leave and "free periods". I could talk to mates get work done and easily pop down to grab a bite to eat if I needed a snack. If you can go into your school or college for any time during study leave do it! Gets you out of the house fresh air and you can talk to people. I find I get a lot more done if I go in and then you can ask teachers for help or other students. If you can't go in plan study days or go to the library with a small group just to get out of the house.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Spent 2 hours in C4 I completed a few questions in the textbook on Edexcel and then did about 10 exam questions on integration.
    I spent half an hour going through FP1 matrices. The FMSP YouTube videos are super helpful for a half hour run through with worked examples.

Today's revision tips:
    When you have completed a topic do a few exam questions separately on that topic to check your knowledge and understand how questions on that topic are laid out. It's no good being able to ace the textbook questions and not understanding the exam questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Spent two hours doing and marking a M2 paper. I got an A three marks off an A* which is very frustrating as I lot 4 marks on a question because I had forgotten to add g to the mass to make the weight.
    I also spent an hour going through marking S2 papers I had already done and completing the bits and pieces of ones I hadn't finished.

Revision tip of the day:
    Make a table of all the available past papers and your exams. Full in the grades you get for each paper and colour code based on how well you did. This will give you an easy visual way to see how each subject is going and what you need to focus on. It will also tell you which papers you still need to do and the ones you should redo. This means you don't keep doing the same paper you have done 6 times over and over getting the same grade when you haven't done the other papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Spent 3 hours on physics coursework today as the deadline is looming and it's not finished yet.
    Spent an hour going through an S2 paper which I hope to finish tomorrow.

Revision tip of the day:
    Make sure to take a break every so often and go do something to get your blood pumping. A short walk to the postbox and back or to the local shop to get some biscuits. It gets you some fresh air and helps your muscles and mind stay alert and awake.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No extra work done today as I had a full day and a very long opticians appointment. I didn't realise there were are so many eye tests!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Spent an hour tweaking my coursework toady. Nothing else as spent 2 and 1/2 hours at orchestra this evening. Will start again with the hard revision tomorrow.
    I got my results for the chapter assessment I redid. I went from 0/29 to 28/29 so really happy and definitely worth going over the chapter again.
    I also finished and marked the S1 mock we did I class and I got 69/75 which was very far into the A (60 was an A). Mostly silly mistakes like not reading the question at all.

Current priorities:
    Physics coursework
    Prep for chemistry coursework on Monday
    Prep for chemistry mock (Wednesday)
    Prep for C4 mock Friday
    FP2 go over bits and look at past paper
    Physics past paper set questions

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Today was very productive and I'm really happy with the amount of work I got done.
    I spent 21/2 hours on my physics coursework. Its almost finished I just need to do the analysis of the third experiment and do the conclusion.
    I spent 11/2 hours prepping for my chemistry mock on Wednesday. I completed the past paper we had started in class and then marked it making model answers. I was one mark off a D so the second unit needs a lot of work. The main bit I seem to have done badly in was all the different pH calculations and Ka calculations. I think I just need to do a couple of these and learn the equations and then it should be ok. I also need to work on my knowledge of transition elements a bit more. I revised it all for my coursework but seem to have thrown away a lot of the information since. I have lots of notes though so I can have a look through those.
    I finished the June 2005 S1 paper we started in class and marked it which took me 1/2 hour. Generally got it correct and got an A however over complicated the final question.
    I spent 1/2 hour starting a FP2 past paper, I did as much as I could without a textbook or any notes. I don't need to finish it I just wanted to see how much I could remember.
    I spent 1/2 hour finishing an S2 paper. I am struggling with the approximating different distributions to each other and deciding which distribution to use. I need to learn the assumptions for each and the situation needed. Its really frustrating as I seem to be getting worse at past papers rather than better.

Today's revision tip:
    Today I gave my mum my phone with the strict instructions that I wasn't allowed it till 5. I used a timer for my thirty minute slots rather than my phone. I found that when I was using my phone I would end up looking at stuff in between sessions which wasted time and sometimes if someone sent me a message Id start messaging them while in the middle of the slot. Removing my phone meant I got more work done in a quicker time which means I have time this evening to relax knowing I've done enough for the day.
    So don't have you phone/tablet near you when revising unless you directly need them. Try and remove as many distractions from the room you are studying as possible. You will be more efficient with your revision and then you will have lots of time to relax without feeling guilty.

ReputationRep:
    Spent 1/2 hour going through synthesis and carbonyls for my chemistry coursework tomorrow. I then spent 1 1/2 hours doing a C4 past paper in preparation for my mock on Friday.
    Revision tip:
    Listen to songs without the lyrics (instrumental). Words can distract you partiularly if you are trying to write something. I suggest listening to the kareoke versions or what I quite like doing is listening to instrumental covers (simply three have some excellent covers).

ReputationRep:
    Spent an hour on physics coursework which is not going very well at all. It seems every time I ask for help I get more confused.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yesterdays update:
    Spent 4 1/2 hours of physics coursework. The deadline is Friday.
    Today's update:
    Spent 2 1/2 hours finishing my physics coursework and spent an hour revising rates and so on for chemistry .

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oops forgot to update the last few days...

Thursday:
    Spent 1 1/2 tiding up my coursework which is finally finished. So that's a lot of time I have now freed up.

Friday:
    Busy all day in another town so couldn't do any work

Today:
    Today was pretty productive. I spent 2 hours going through FP2 More complex numbers. This seems so much easier that when we went through it in class. Its probably because a lot of it relies on a good knowledge of FP1 which I have gone through for my resit exam. i haven't got to transformations and half lines so my confidence may be a bit premature but hopefully not. I decided to go back to the beginning of the chapter and work through the examples again and do all the questions I haven't done yet.

I spent 2 hours on M2. I did a past paper in timed conditions and then spent half an hour finishing off an exam paper I hadn't yet finished and marked the last bit. I have finally got hold of the center of mass questions however the statics stuff still eludes me. The bits where a rod is leaning against a wall and held up by another rod are the worst I still haven't quite understood the reactions of the wall and where they go. Other than that the past papers are going quite well and I seem to consistently getting A's at the moment. Hopefully when I have gone over the statics stuff I can edge my way into an A * which would be amazing.

This long weekends goals:
    Physics chapter 17 assessment
    FP1 matrices chapter
    Finish FP2 complex numbers chapter
    FP2 past paper ?

Today's revision tip:
    (Not relevant for essay subjects) If you can draw a diagram to make the question simpler/ make it easier then do it. Wonderful diagrams = Wonderful results (especially for Mechanics)

ReputationRep:
    Spent 1 1/2 on a maths exam paper. I then got roped into tiding lots of things and went to an unexpected 18th birthday meal. So all in all did not get very much work done.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Today has been very productive. I feel so much calmer about the rapidly approaching FP1 exam.
    I started the day marking the C4 paper I did yesterday. Depending on how it went this could have boosted my confidence or trodden it into the ground. Surprisingly the paper went well and I was dead on an A* !!! One of the questions completely confused me though and even looking at the mark scheme didn't help. The grade boundaries for that year were quite low so maybe that explains why. An A was 60 and an A* was 69 so not the highest grade boundaries I've seen. I also made a corrections sheet for the questions I got wrong (and could understand the mark scheme).

I then spent 6 hours (that's a lot for me in a day I tend to get distracted by books or my iPhone....) on FP1. I smashed my way through the remaining exam questions for matrices (June 2009-June 2013 questions by topic from http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/ and happily got a large percentage right. I then went head first into series, starting by watching a short revision video by FMSP linked below and then did all the past exam questions. The questions seem to all be very similar with one question turning up twice that was exactly the same (it was a show that this generally becomes this) and so doing lots of them at once was really helpful. I then had dinner and afterwards watched another video by FMSP for Proof by induction (linked below). Proof by induction is the topic I struggled most with last year, I didn't really understand it and often made really silly sign errors etc which made getting the right answer impossible. I then did a few exam questions which I got right after a while. Proof by induction is definitely something I have to work on but seeing as I've only done a very small amount of past exam questions I think I can get it right with a couple more.

Things that need to be done in the next few days:
    Chapter 17 Physics test
    FP2 complex numbers chapter
    Go through power point for physics lesson I missed
    Go over approximations in S2

Series https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2sVyaD08dY
    Proof by induction video :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4f4QedniVs)

FMSP has a lot of different revision videos that go through different chapters of the different modules for maths. They also do the different exam boards not just Edexcel . They also go step by step through some exam questions that are difficult or slightly sneaky.

ReputationRep:
    A summary of the last few days:

Tuesday :
    I spent 1 1/2 hours on S2. I did the June 2005 paper and got 65/75 which was equivalent to over 90% at the time. Overall went well made a bit of a mess in the final question which was binomial. Going through the mark scheme it showed that I had completely overcomplicated the problem and got myself into a muddle. I also used the list of definitions on Arsey's S2 revision page and some I had found in past exam papers to make a set on Quizlet which I will link below.

I spent 1 1/2 hours doing an exam paper for M2, it didn't go very well sadly. I got 60/75 which was a C, not exactly what I am aiming for. I completely overcomplicated a question and so lost 7 marks and then made some silly mistakes throughout. M2 needs some serious work.

I spent 1 1/2 hours on chemistry brushing up on unit 2 which I had a mock in, on Wednesday.

I spent half an hour going through the chapter 17 test for physics I had to do because I was not in the lesson.

Wednesday

I spent 4 hours on M2 after the sad result the day before. I did two papers, January 2006 and June 2007 which I got an A and an A* in. M2 I feel that I get all the content and then just make silly mistakes because I am rushing through it or panicking.

Thursday

I spent 1 hour 45 minutes on physics. I completed the chapter 17 test, revised chapter 17 and made notes on binding energy which I had missed in class.

Today

Spent an hour on my physics coursework which needs to be neatened up before it is sent off.
    I spent 45 minutes revising chemistry in a revision session at lunch. We focussed on tactics for working out the equation of reaction.

Revision materials I used:

Arsey's revision thread for S2 :
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2691487

S2 definitions on Quizlet:
    https://quizlet.com/_29esdx
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    *fist bumps for being a woman in computer science*

*removes fist bump for referring to yourself as a female because female is an adjective*
    I studied CS and AI at Nottingham! It's the most brilliant degree in the world and now I have the brilliant job of teaching it. Loving your thread and your revision methods. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CSLady)
    Hi OP, why do you think so few girls go into CS and other similar STEM fields?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    *fist bumps for being a woman in computer science*

*removes fist bump for referring to yourself as a female because female is an adjective*
    I studied CS and AI at Nottingham! It's the most brilliant degree in the world and now I have the brilliant job of teaching it. Loving your thread and your revision methods. Good luck!
    Thank you. Glad to see you are enjoying it

(Original post by Erebor)
    Hi OP, why do you think so few girls go into CS and other similar STEM fields?
    Lack of female role models, a general belief in society that women can't do STEM. The large ratio of boys to girls puts many girls off when pursuing a STEM field I believe. I am super excited about going to do CS and even though most of my classes are male dominated with half my classes I being the only girl I still find it daunting that I am going to do a degree with a very small percentage of women. This I am sure puts some women off. Not only is it intimidating it also suggest subconsciously that CS is not a subject, women should or should to take, but that's just what I perceive.
    A moment that I still remember vividly was mentioning in a student meeting on changing my sixth form that the majority of the posters around the school were male based and in the sixth form the posters had about 8:1 male to women. The women portrayed were mostly singers and actresses, not a single scientist (I have no problem with the number of actresses I just wanted some women on the walls from STEM background because it's what I am interested in). I mentioned that we should have a male and female representative for each subject on the doors to that room who had done something important. As some subjects seem to have gained certain gender labels ( ie CS = Men Health and Social care = Women). When I suggested this another female student asked me to name a female who had done something impressive in STEM the way she said it left me shocked. She didn't believe there was any. The fact that she had got to 18 and did not believe that there were any female pioneers in STEM, and she probably wasn't the only one made me realise how few well known female STEM women there are. Role models in all subjects are so important and all subjects need to push to champion role models of both genders to inspire the younger generation. In primary I learnt about Florence nightingale and her methods but no one at any point mentioned that she was an amazing statistician and that's how she managed to convince the hospitals to change. A lack of female role models suggests that women cannot do that subject or that their input is not really that important. Many women historically have achieved great things and got no recognition or had a crater on the moon named after them instead of a Nobel prize.

Many of the girls in my physics class at GCSE, just simply didn't believe they could do it even though they came out with good grades. The boys, on the other hand, acted very confident and didn't do as well overall when it came down to exams. I used to feel a bit intimidated, because I thought that they understood it and I was the silly one that couldn't. When I got to A Level I realised that many of the boys like a lot of girls were unwilling to make it clear to others that they did not understand. This is bad for the boys but also the girls. Girls feel may feel nervous while some of the boys suffer in silence because they don't feel like they can ask for fear of mockery. (this is of course is a complete generalisation and not all guys and girls are like this)

I think that society placed women and men into different areas of work subconsciously to some extent from a very young age. Only recently has a picture book been made following a young female engineer. Which furthers the message that women shouldn't pursue STEM subjects.

This is only from what I have witnessed and my views may be very different to other peoples. I hope this answers your question. As I have only witnessed STEM subjects at a school and sixth form level I can't comment on women actually going into the field for work. As I have not yet reached that stage in my life.

Study blog:

Over the weekend and today, I have done very little. I have caught a cold and so have mostly slept in order to get rid of my cold as quickly as possible. I have done 1 1/2 hours of physics sorting out my coursework. I spent 1 1/2 hours doing a full FP1 paper, I got more than 90 % which I am really happy with, as I want to get as many marks as possible in order to make sure I definitely get that A in Further maths that I need. I spent 1 hr on chemistry doing some exam questions and marking some too.

I also started a studyblr on Tumblr which if anyone is interested is under the name CSLady. I have only done one post but will be posting the rest of my notes as I go along.

Good luck to everyone sitting AS exams this month and anyone sitting GCSE's! I hope you do the best you can and you don't get too stressed over this period. Have plenty of snacks!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.