Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

"Women have to act like men to gain respect in a work place." watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Would you agree, or disagree with that statement? and if you agree, who is to blame?

I agree, for the most part I feel it's true. There are several examples I can think of where this is true.

Margaret Thatcher comes to mind immediately, wherever you stand with your opinion on MT, and her downfall, the truth of the matter is she still had a lot of respect and admirers. Her hatred for women and feminism, and her elocution lessons to make her sound more "masculine and authoritative" suggests she was driven on male opinion and wanted to gain respect from her male counterparts by mirroring them.

I'm sure this still goes on. I think men and women are both to blame. The whole patriarchal construct is to blame, gender roles, and to an extent feminism and it's approach is to blame.

I think men are to blame, not for adopting the "authoritative figure" role, but for believing a woman couldn't do the same. Gender roles play a part in this. Also feminism is losing it's respect and I can see why, but I truly believe it has to do with it's approach.

*I did try and keep this short*

ReputationRep:
    Idgi, what does act like 'men' mean?

If you interpret that as meaning 'acting with authority' then I would question why you think this is a 'male' trait, rather than a human trait that anyone, regardless of their gender, can embody.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PFO 24/7)
    Idgi, what does act like 'men' mean?

If you interpret that as meaning 'acting with authority' then I would question why you think this is a 'male' trait, rather than a human trait that anyone, regardless of their gender, can embody.
    Personally I don't believe "acting like a man" automatically means "acting with authority", but I think a lot of people have this belief system. That masculinity equals authority, I think that is a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    Personally I don't believe "acting like a man" automatically means "acting with authority", but I think a lot of people have this belief system. That masculinity equals authority, I think that is a problem.
    Surely then, the problem is people subscribing to such an outdated notion of gender roles, rather than women having to act a certain way 'to gain respect in a work place'?

ReputationRep:
    Surely then, the problem is people subscribing to such an outdated notion of gender roles, rather than women having to act a certain way 'to gain respect in a work place'?
    I think what she's saying is that because people assume men have certain traits and women don't. Women have to work harder to prove they do have those traits, whereas there's less pressure for men to prove themselves in that way. (Well that's my view anyway )

ReputationRep:
    Yes I've mentioned gender roles, they clearly interlink. Women wouldn't feel the need to act "masculine" if feminine traits weren't seen as so passive.

(Original post by Lord Samosa)
    I think what she's saying is that because people assume men have certain traits and women don't. Women have to work harder to prove they do have those traits, whereas there's less pressure for men to prove themselves in that way. (Well that's my view anyway )
    Yes, that is what I'm saying. But I went a little further () by suggesting some women go out of there way to prove this, and along the way dismiss femininity because it's not as "functional" as male traits are. I think it's sad, and I also don't think there will be change anytime soon.

I also feel like feminism drives people(men and women) away from these issues. Because now a days, the minute someone claims they are a feminist, the other person honestly looks like they want to jump out of the nearest window rather than hear what they have to say.

ReputationRep:
    Is this thread really this unpopular? I suppose should get back to revising then...

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    This

ReputationRep:
    Feminists.....

ReputationRep:
    "Women and men have to act like professionals to gain respect in the work place.".
    Doesn't matter if you have a penis or a vag, if you are professional and you do your job well people will respect you. Although women may have to achieve more than their counterparts to gain the same amount of respect in some places.

ReputationRep:
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    cultural conditioning man
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    No I agree with you! :five:

But I hope to see these stereotypes go out of the window very soon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aceadria)
    No.
    (Original post by Al-Qamar)
    Feminists.....
    (Original post by TheBBQ)
    :confused:

Thank you for the effort you put into your posts on my (what I perceived to be) very thought provoking thread!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indeterminate)
    No I agree with you! :five:

But I hope to see these stereotypes go out of the window very soon!
    I doubt it...they won't go. We all conform to them in one way or another, in a sense it isn't exactly "wrong" too, but it's when people have to change themselves to "fit-in", that is sad. That goes for gender, race, body-type etc etc...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I doubt it...they won't go. We all conform to them in one way or another, in a sense it isn't exactly "wrong" too, but it's when people have to change themselves to "fit-in", that is sad. That goes for gender, race, body-type etc etc...
    Hmm, you have a point. There's always hope, though!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the effort you put into your posts on my (what I perceived to be) very thought provoking thread!
    Pleasure. Not like it's been brought up hundreds of times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aceadria)
    Pleasure. Not like it's been brought up hundreds of times.
    Whateves :talkhand:

I think I put my point across very well, and it should have evoked some well thought out responses

ReputationRep:
    I think that this depends on what sector people are in there are some where men have to work hard to prove that they also fit in.

Unfortunately stereotypes exist and unfortunately they will for a long time

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 17, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.