Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"Women have to act like men to gain respect in a work place." Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    Whateves :talkhand:

I think I put my point across very well, and it should have evoked some well thought out responses
    Absolutely. But my point was equally clear but just short on words

ReputationRep:
    When ya mean "work place" are ya talkin about an office or business of some kind? When I hear "work place" I'm thinking of an office.

I totally disagree with that statement. My mom works in an office and she doesn't act like a man. She does her job and that's about it.

I think everybody in the work place should be authoritative, and what does acting like a man look like or mean? Throwing on men clothes and calling yourself Brad?
    Women in higher roles still get respect while acting lady like. Authority =/= acting like a man.
    And duh, of course women have to be authoritative in the work place. Men aren't or should to treat them like little babies that can't function on their own.

ReputationRep:
    No way. If you work hard and do your job properly then you should be respected.
    There are a few factors that affect this.
    1. It depends on whether you work in a male dominated, female dominated or even mixed environment.
    2. The field you work in. This might determine if experience is better valued.
    3. How qualified you are.
    4. How professionally you act - If you are timely and give others respect etc.
    5. How well you treat and get on with your colleagues.
    6. How experienced you are in the job/field.

This applies to whether you are male or female. If you're disrespectful and a time waster you won't be respected.
    Women do have to prove that they aren't airheads and that they know what they are doing. But this equally applies to men.
    Respect doesn't mean recognition though if you're work is good it should garner recognition and respect. On the flip side working hard doesn't mean that you'll produce good work.
    STEM fields are pretty fair in respecting everyone because it's a difficult for everyone. Don't know about humanities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Macy1998)
    When ya mean "work place" are ya talkin about an office or business of some kind? When I hear "work place" I'm thinking of an office.

I totally disagree with that statement. My mom works in an office and she doesn't act like a man. She does her job and that's about it.

I think everybody in the work place should be authoritative, and what does acting like a man look like or mean? Throwing on men clothes and calling yourself Brad?
    Women in higher roles still get respect while acting lady like. Authority =/= acting like a man.
    And duh, of course women have to be authoritative in the work place. Men aren't or should to treat them like little babies that can't function on their own.
    This. Had both male and female managers who I have respected. Leadership is not restricted to a specific gender but depends on situation, corporate culture, etc..

ReputationRep:
    Would you agree, or disagree with that statement? and if you agree, who is to blame?

I agree, for the most part I feel it's true. There are several examples I can think of where this is true.

Margaret Thatcher comes to mind immediately, wherever you stand with your opinion on MT, and her downfall, the truth of the matter is she still had a lot of respect and admirers. Her hatred for women and feminism, and her elocution lessons to make her sound more "masculine and authoritative" suggests she was driven on male opinion and wanted to gain respect from her male counterparts by mirroring them.

I'm sure this still goes on. I think men and women are both to blame. The whole patriarchal construct is to blame, gender roles, and to an extent feminism and it's approach is to blame.

I think men are to blame, not for adopting the "authoritative figure" role, but for believing a woman couldn't do the same. Gender roles play a part in this. Also feminism is losing it's respect and I can see why, but I truly believe it has to do with it's approach.

*I did try and keep this short*
    I can't respect someone who holds the opinion that all refugees are terrorists, rapists and criminals.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Someone i know had a child and when she went back to work she went from being 'on the highest shelf' to being demoted after being on maternity leave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RickmanAlways)
    Someone i know had a child and when she went back to work she went from being 'on the highest shelf' to being demoted after being on maternity leave.
    This assumes that her gender was the only factor in her being demoted, which is I presume is more an exception than the rule.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ServantOfMorgoth)
    I can't respect someone who holds the opinion that all refugees are terrorists, rapists and criminals.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Who said that? Are you talking about me?!!!!!!!!!! I never said that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aceadria)
    This. Had both male and female managers who I have respected. Leadership is not restricted to a specific gender but depends on situation, corporate culture, etc..
    Exactly. Authority is pretty much gender neutral as it comes.

ReputationRep:
    Who said that? Are you talking about me?!!!!!!!!!! I never said that!
    My bad. Thought it was you.

ReputationRep:
    They do indeed, and are forever getting it wrong (who can blame them, really). In management positions in particular they tend to lose it :erm:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 17, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.