Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Going blonde at home? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I want to colour my hair blonde. Currently about the end 1/3 to 1/2 are medium/light warm blonde and the rest is my natural colour which is light brown/dark blonde with a strong red tint so you can see my problem straight away: red hair going blonde= orange! I bought a 9A dye earlier today (which is light ash blonde) in hopes that my ends will go ash blonde and the rest will go a darker blonde but the overall colour will be less warm. I did a strand test and the piece I tested on DID go light ash blonde at the ends however there was absolutely no difference to the rest of my hair. I know you're supposed to stay within 2 shades of your natural colour (and naturally I'm probably about a 6 so it may have been a little ambitious) but I was wondering if applying a darker blonde (7 or 8) to my natural colour would work? If not any ideas on how to get it from light brown to blonde without bleach (i've tried that before...absolute disaster!)
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PastaMonster)
    I want to colour my hair blonde. Currently about the end 1/3 to 1/2 are medium/light warm blonde and the rest is my natural colour which is light brown/dark blonde with a strong red tint so you can see my problem straight away: red hair going blonde= orange! I bought a 9A dye earlier today (which is light ash blonde) in hopes that my ends will go ash blonde and the rest will go a darker blonde but the overall colour will be less warm. I did a strand test and the piece I tested on DID go light ash blonde at the ends however there was absolutely no difference to the rest of my hair. I know you're supposed to stay within 2 shades of your natural colour (and naturally I'm probably about a 6 so it may have been a little ambitious) but I was wondering if applying a darker blonde (7 or 8) to my natural colour would work? If not any ideas on how to get it from light brown to blonde without bleach (i've tried that before...absolute disaster!)
    Maybe try going to a hairdresser and see what they suggest? they're the know it alls to do with hair!

ReputationRep:
    First step is to remove this red tint. I've had success of this through:

1) Use a colour stripper on the desired areas/ Use fairy liquid on the desired areas for 2 weeks.

2) Use 1 tablespoon of blue hair dye (Manic Panic works great) to dye the top of your hair, but only leave it on for 5-10 minutes. The benefit of this is that the blue will neutralise brassy tones, rather like silver shampoo- but with a stronger affect. This timescale will offer enough time to eliminate brassy tones but not long enough to actually dye your hair blue.

3) If you prefer, you could always dye your hair a mid Ash brown, wash your hair with fairy liquid ALOT for about a month, until the red is completely eliminated, use Aussie Miracle conditioner in this process and/ or Garnier ultimate blends (brown bottle) conditioner. Then lighten the hair by gradually introducing highlights/ ombre/ ballyage. THIS is where you should use silver shampoo.

Watch some YouTube Tutorials for advice/ to see results/ to make sure you're making the right decision. Because often,unnatural blonde's give up keeping up to their roots because of cost and damage, stereotypes and even bordem- and if you put any dark brown/ black colour on blonde there is a risk it will go green. It needs maintaining at least every 2 weeks and will fade just like any other colour. You will need to spend alot of money on good conditioners, heat defense, leave the styling tools and heat appliances for at least 3 days a week and above all wash your hair less because it will be weakened and prone to split.

If you change your mind about the colour, the damage is still permanent. If you can't put a blonde hair dye on your natural hair without it turning brassy- your hair is not really suitable for blonde.

HOWEVER, if blonde is what you want, i wish you the best and hope you achieve the colour you are looking for. Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.