Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Computing - Linux Command Prompt Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Here is a question:
    'Login to your Linux computer. If necessary, open a terminal window. You will see the command prompt. Describe and explain each part of the command prompt that you see.'

By 'command prompt', is it referring to the '>>>' or everything in the black window (it looks similar to cmd.exe in Windows)?

I know this is a sort of strange question but my teacher has confused me, and some students wrote about '>>>' but this seems wrong as the question asks for 'each part' to be explained, and '>>>' doesn't have multiple parts.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaiylar)
    Here is a question:
    'Login to your Linux computer. If necessary, open a terminal window. You will see the command prompt. Describe and explain each part of the command prompt that you see.'

By 'command prompt', is it referring to the '>>>' or everything in the black window (it looks similar to cmd.exe in Windows)?

I know this is a sort of strange question but my teacher has confused me, and some students wrote about '>>>' but this seems wrong as the question asks for 'each part' to be explained, and '>>>' doesn't have multiple parts.
    Hello I'll move your thread to the computer science section where you are more likely to get some help

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    They mean the bash terminal.

Similar to that on Windows and Command Prompt... But it's just called bash.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Changing Skies)
    Hello I'll move your thread to the computer science section where you are more likely to get some help

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    They mean the bash terminal.

Similar to that on Windows and Command Prompt... But it's just called bash.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is that the entire black window then?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaiylar)
    Is that the entire black window then?

It looks like this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    It looks like this
    Yeah, it looks similar to that. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Lets say you have "[email protected]:~$". "foo" is the user currently using the command line. "foobar" is the name of the computer (usually called the hostname). The tilde "~" is the file path that the terminal is currently in. The ~ means its the current users home path, so for "foo" it would be "/home/foo". So for example if you "cd /var/www/html" then it would appear as "[email protected]:/var/www/html". The $ means that the current user using the command line is a normal user. If you were to change to the root user it would be #.

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theholychilli)
    Lets say you have "[email protected]:~$". "foo" is the user currently using the command line. "foobar" is the name of the computer (usually called the hostname). The tilde "~" is the file path that the terminal is currently in. The ~ means its the current users home path, so for "foo" it would be "/home/foo". So for example if you "cd /var/www/html" then it would appear as "[email protected]:/var/www/html". The $ means that the current user using the command line is a normal user. If you were to change to the root user it would be #.

Hope this helps!
    Thanks very much! I thought that the question was asking me to explain all the parts of the black window like 'Help', 'File', 'Edit', 'View', but I thought it might just be asking for the parts you've described.

This makes a lot more sense now, thank you!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.